Needing Advice From Seasoned Guitarists

Shaun 31

New Metal Member
Jan 16, 2004
Well, after about two months of viewing this forum I finally decided to register and talk music with most of what seems to be very open minded people. Took me long enough.

Anyway, I'm also new to guitar. I've been playing for about eleven days so far but really have improved at a steady pace. I've been going by this Classical Guitar Method book by Scott Tennant and nearly complete with the first volume. Been studying both classical techniques of the guitar and music theory like a drug really.
You read the thread title so you know why I'm posting this message (that's probably too long already) but I'm really just wanting some good tips for a beginner that picks up on things rather quickly and some techniques that could help me down the line.
I've been practicing 3-7 hours for the ten out of eleven days that I have owned this guitar, but recently after an entire evening of practice, I still feel as though I didn't do enough. I practice every song I have learned, all the right-hand techniques and left-hand (though this book is only letting me get the feel of the first four frets and all six strings until the next volume) I've done a few of the major and minor scales but nothing beyond that so far. But, I can say after five hours each day I feel like I've improved but at the same time as if I could have done more. Could I? Or is it the typical feeling of a beginner?

Advice on anything that will set me on my way of mastering the guitar will be much appreciated. Sorry for the length.

From what you wrote, I understand that you are studying classical guitar...
Why are you asking on a neo-classical metal forum, then? I'm sure you could get more help elsewhere...

BTW, when I started guitar, I didn't pay an excess of attention to practice. And I still don't think I should have. Theory is totally not me.

Well, that's true I am studying classical guitar. Why am I asking advice on a neo-classical forum then? I like hearing all opinions from different guitarists. Classical isn't all I study and certainly not all I will study. Classical guitar teaches good techniques, but there are those of you who don't play classical guitar and are very talented.
Those people would certainly be able to give me advice on helping me find my own style and also I could learn a few new techniques classical guitar has yet to show me.

Like I said, classical guitar is just something to start me off on the guitar and build a good foundation. From there I'll look to different styles of playing to grow more. Because honestly, I would like to play some complicated metal work one day.
Chuck Schuldiner was a big influence as was Vai and Satriani. Maybe I cleared it up a bit now.

It's the typical feeling of a beginner. Take it easy and change your practice schedule regularly, if you don't, you'll probably get bored on the long run.

What Ultimate Symphony said. It's easy to get bored if you don't change it up. And for the love of God, don't put off learning to read music! It's a very valuable skill, but a bitch to learn if you go 6 years without doing it.

Sounds to me like you're working hard, and that's the main thing.

One thing... don't be one of those guys who gets a metronome and pushes for one click higher every day. It's a good way to clean up your technique, but if you're one of those guys who can make a post and say, "I can do clean sixteenth note triplets at 150 bpm on 3 note-per-string scale runs, but if it's harmonic minor I gotta drop it down to 145, arpeggios at 136, depending on major or diminished."... Yeah if you're one of those people, you're missing the point. :) Practicing hard and pushing yourself is great and all, but let your technique progress naturally and your playing will require much less effort.

My advice is to "listen" as much as you practice. What I mean is to really concentrate on the sound that is coming out of the instrument. And there is a second "listen." Listen to many varities of music and different guitarists. You will find things that appeal to you from various styles and then you can learn them for yourself. This is really how you will achieve your own distinct style, rather than sounding like a clone...and there are too many of those as we know.

For beginning guitar though, you need to relax a bit. It sounds to me like you may be a bit frustrated and wish you could have more out of what you have done so far than you do. The time you are putting into it is definitely more than enough. Even still, it will take time. Years upon years upon years of practice. It never ends really. I've been playing for about 11 years now and I still don't think I'm half as good as I want to be.
Commit to the instrument, learn it, love it, and learn it again.

Good Luck and Have Fun (that's what is most important :))!
-TSR

Classical lessons are a great idea, Mike Romeo had classical lessons.
My best advice is.....enjoy it always, and when you get an understanding of the instrument and what your mind and fingers together can do with it, concentrate on the feeling.....emotions. It must come from your heart and soul.

DEfinately get a teacher! or two!! It only helps you and i don't know why so many people dont take advantage of it.

@Mr. Shred-ididle - Different thinking ways, I guess.

Well whatever, my initial reasons for not getting a teacher were stupid...

... and I somehow asumed I wouldn't be able to find a shred eacher - classical and jazz guitar styles are both REALLY NOT my thing. Fusion is cool, but still not me.

If I were dying for either, I'd have gone with keyboards.

@TSR - Informatics is kinda considered as a prelude to 'real' programming here... My brother was (still is, his team was 2nd at the latest ACM regional contest) really good at it and now he's working in a company that produces palmtop software.

But how I ish I could make a living out of guitar... :(

You don't *need* a teacher, at least for rock/metal/shred stuff, but if you're studying classical guitar Id HIGHLY reccomend getting a professional teacher to help you. The reason is because its much more formal and strict in terms of technique and practice methods than learning rock/metal is, and theres really only so much you can get out of a book when it comes to classical guitar.

Yngvai X said:
You don't *need* a teacher, at least for rock/metal/shred stuff, but if you're studying classical guitar Id HIGHLY reccomend getting a professional teacher to help you. The reason is because its much more formal and strict in terms of technique and practice methods than learning rock/metal is, and theres really only so much you can get out of a book when it comes to classical guitar.

yeah, thats the reason why MJR stopped taking classical lessons...

well I'm more of a jazz-head right now so a teacher is more important for ME, if you only want to play metal and rock you dont really need one. But i still suggest.

I have actually considered getting a teacher, I know it helps out a lot when wanting to learn something formal such as classical guitar or jazz guitar. Those being two styles that I would like to add in to create my own style when it may be that I write my own music.
I had a teacher for about six months for piano(which is something I still play as well), so I do know how helpful it is. But, I also find guitar to be easier in some ways to play than piano. I do want to be able to play a bit of everything which is why I'll be putting myself through a lot of study on jazz and classical. Technical metal or rock is what I'll want to play eventually when the time comes that I'm confident or at least good enough.
I'm not comparing myself to Joe Satriani but take a look a look at him. The guy taught himself and wound up being one of the greatest guitar players out there. In fact, he didn't go to school to study music which is something I find encouraging.
I never thought you had to attend some school to study music to be a great musician though. I think three guys out of Dream Theater did. Petrucci, Portnoy, Myung(is that the bass player's name?). And they're great so don't take me wrong at this.
But, I can look at Chuck Schuldiner or James Murphy and really believe that they are as good as Petrucci and didn't even attend school. And Gene Hoglan is pretty close to being as good if not he's as good as Portnoy. So, I think music school and sometimes teachers are not something you need to grow into a technical musician. Some people can only learn in certain ways though.

But, thanks a lot for the advice guys, you all have been helpful.

Schuldiner as good as Petrucci? Probably not :) But Gene Hoglan can definitely take on Portnoy and many other drummers.

I believe you are right that guitar is easier (to learn) than piano because you don't have to be so concerned with remembering where the sharps and flats are. You don't need to worry about black and white keys. If you play a scale starting on C, the shape (where you put your fingers) is the same if you start on A, E, B, F#, etc. In that sense, it makes it easy because you will know what shape you need for a minor scale, etc. But then, piano is probably much better for theory, since you really are forced to learn all about what key you're in, sharps, flats, etc. I would advise to keep learning both! As for a teacher, maybe keep taking piano lessons and then apply what you learn to the guitar.

Learn your chords and shit first. Learn how to play rhythmicly as this is the back bone of music. save all that scale shit for later on after you get your chops up

Learn your chords and shit first. Learn how to play rhythmicly as this is the back bone of music. save all that scale shit for later on after you get your chops up
@oshb - I wouldn't advice on that. I was reccommended that same thing from the guy who borrowed me my first guitar... didn't follow it... don't regret it, period!