Negative phase of wave clipping?

Deaf Ear

Feb 25, 2007
I just got the strangest problem, and I can't seem to find anything about it online. The negative phase of my wave is clipping at about -9. It looks totally sawed off. The positive phase of the wave is fine though, goes all the way up. I don't hear anything funny about it, but it looks really strange. It only does it on louder hits too. Anything below this new strange threshold is fine.

Any idea what causes this?

possibly DC offset. that could explain your wave form appearing to have more level on the crest or trough side... the clipping at -9 part could mean you're clipping the input of something earlier in your chain... like your pre or compressor or eq.

I think this is what was going on. I was trying to make some snare samples using an NT5 just to get a quicker response. I had the preamp all the way down ( there's no pad on those mics ) and it wasn't clipping the input, but it was hot as hell coming into the pre. I switched it out to a 57, and problem seems solved for now. It's a strange looking wave though. Never really seen anything like it.

It's usually electronic noise that takes the wave off the base line a little if I understand it correctly. I know it can eat up a little of your headroom if it builds up much at all.