Nether Novas

Villain

Doctor BenQuillity
May 7, 2001
Finland
Visit site
Okay, here it comes, my long-ago-promised interpretation about Nether Novas -lyrics. The original thread seems to have dropped too far away, so I made a new one for this (happy, Misanthrope?).

Nether Novas
Lyrics: Stanne

What late forgotten night
To emptiness has given
And now November morning
Will be taken asunder
The shovel stained with dirt in the hours of belonging
Dug into the undiscovered
Of a life, a pest, a plague

Falling back into the arms - no, never
Admitting to a life alone - no
There are sparks inside
Outside looking back - no
The lie never stopped

Cling to the wave, it cried
And onward to the night
Expecting not and nothing
In the presence of a lie
The deeper that it dug, the more now had to go
Surrender was a fact and the room was decorated
No, no, no - the lie never stopped

To emptiness has given

The strangers
Oh, may they come
In ignorance's disguise

So in the dark walking
To leave the last of times

Knee-deep in desperation
To fill the gap behind

Boldly tread the night forever
November thoughts are right - oh, never
Taken from the fall - no
Frightened by the key, but the trail behind the house
Felt compelling and new - the lie never stopped
Found at loss for words, now words aren't enough

Someone told
A vacancy was open
Someone laughed
The silence here was broken
Dug up to make room
The room which you furnished and graced
There is no vacancy
The least can fill the fountain
The most will flood the mold

Okay, my interpretation given here is very staggering at best, but I'll try to enhance the weakest spots with educated guesses :). To me the song is definitely about relationships, or rather about a certain unfortunate relationship. I hereby assume the "I" of the song is a male (=he) and the other half of the relationship a female (=she), although there are no clear indicators of their sexes (I find it hard to imagine that Stanne would have written the lyrics from the viewpoint of a woman or of a homosexual :rolleyes: ).

There are certain metaphors that are vital to be understood "right" (relative to this interpretation, of course). I take:
-"night" = a memory of their relationship (the dream?)
-"emptiness" = he, alone in his loneliness
-"the lie" = his self-deception that he does not miss her (I'm pretty sure)
-"the room" = their relationship (?)
-"vacancy" = she, "a place in her heart" (uh, not too sure of this)

The opening of the song is him waking up from a dream, a dream about her and their intimate, almost forgotten relationship. The memory of it hurts him, takes him asunder. "The showel stained with dirt in the hours of belonging" is a memory of them having sex (perhaps he masturbates?), and the more he recalls of her, the more ill he feels. The rest of the song is possibly only his thoughts and memories, as he desperately tries to find refuge from the longing he feels.

For a moment he then thinks about returning to her - which he doesn't want to. Neither does he want to live alone. Although he feels the longing for her within his mind, he doesn't show it outwards, and even denies it from himself.

Then he goes back in time, letting the painful memories to come to his mind in (false) hopes that he can prove to himself that he really does not miss her. Yet it all goes worse and the more he remembers her, the more he misses her. What late forgotten night to him has given is a painful memory he can't get rid of.

He hopes to meet (in his imagination? not sure) strangers, people unknown to him and thus unknowing of him and her - hoping perhaps that with them he could forget her. Inside his own darkness, he first tries to leave the past behind, but soon with desperation realizes the gap ( = the denial of his own feelings) needs to be filled, ie. he must go through it within his mind.

He goes back into the memory, trying to clear it up to himself, why it went like it went with her. At first he couldn't describe his own feelings, now a mere description is not enough.

Finally the barriers are broken and he accepts the end of their relationship and his own longing for her - which at that point becomes insignificant, as he realizes his chances are long gone and someone else (representing "the least" - the wording hinting about his mocking and despise of that other guy) has taken the place on her side. For him there's now only the way of the regular people - down into the mold.

There. I'm probably off by more than lightyears, but this is the conclusion of mine - unless someone else (Rahvin, awaiting for your shot) presents a better interpretation, I'll stick with this.

-Villain (who likes Nether Novas a lot)

actually I think thats a damn good interpretation. Interesting read Villain, funny how all mainstream metal/pop bands, when they talk about relationships, it sounds so fucking generic and done before, but DT wraps it up a poetic tortilla, with beans and salsa! Uh, anyway, great job. Rahvs will be two pages long, but I await his as well :D

Nether novas is one of the two or three songs that I REALLY like on Projector.. but I've never thought about the lyrics on this album. I don't know why.. but I enjoy very much the lyrics on every other album, except that.. although it still has its moments.. whatever..
Nice work Dr Villain :) What's next? I'm still waiting for that Crescendo song :D

A few points i want to make as i _had_ thought them, just as an alternative now, i don't know if they hold any consistency.

the lie: could be the lie of their relationship maybe? what he thought they had wasn't real and realizing it hurts him.
vacancy: could be a place in his heart.
the room: could be their relationship, but "The room which you furnished and graced" makes me think it could be his heart too.

Generally the "no, no, no" parts give me the impression of an inner struggle, his not wanting to admit something unpleasant and to face the truth, or just cries of despair and pain.

The shovel and digging thing could have something to do with digging into his soul to find and know things.

Ok, don't beat me :p

TheMindzI: I'll get into Insanity's Crescendo after a while - just let me have a "vacation" for a week or two.

Thanks for the comments, Siren. I'll try to answer them below.

Originally posted by Siren
A few points i want to make as i _had_ thought them, just as an alternative now, i don't know if they hold any consistency.

the lie: could be the lie of their relationship maybe? what he thought they had wasn't real and realizing it hurts him.

Yeah, this was my initial impression as well. However, the more I studied the lyrics, the more unsure of this I became. Finally I came to the conclusion I have written above - perhaps it is a bit far-fetched, but I firmly believe in it now.

vacancy: could be a place in his heart.

Hmm, possibly yes - but that would slightly change the "tone" of my interpretation, so I won't try to "incorporate" it.

the room: could be their relationship, but "The room which you furnished and graced" makes me think it could be his heart too.

Yep, I started to think about this just a while after I had written my interpretation here. Still a bit unsure...

Generally the "no, no, no" parts give me the impression of an inner struggle, his not wanting to admit something unpleasant and to face the truth, or just cries of despair and pain.

The shovel and digging thing could have something to do with digging into his soul to find and know things.

Agreed on both - actually your interpretation of "digging" is far better than mine. I wonder why I didn't get it... :saint:

Ok, don't beat me :p

Heh, I won't - but I could hug you, because you were so nice that you commented. :wave:

-Villain

Hehehe yes this is kind of my idea so i am happy =)

And about the song ill offer my interpretation in the most annoying of fashions. ( o and its similar to yours but not exactly the same so it might be valid to do so )

Nether Novas
Lyrics: Stanne

To emptiness has given
And now November morning
Will be taken asunder
The shovel stained with dirt in the hours of belonging
Dug into the undiscovered
Of a life, a pest, a plague

A late forgotten night that has given to emptiness to me sounds like a dramatic way of describing a typical night, but one on wich depression strikes, so november morning taken asunder probably means it will never came, it probably means he is thinking of self-destruction, now the last part to me tells me of how he tried to take a long hard look at himself that night only to be devastated by the result: his patetic miserable life.

Falling back into the arms - no, never
Admitting to a life alone - no
There are sparks inside
Outside looking back - no
The lie never stopped

Well he obiously doesnt wants to fall back into her arms, but wich arms? is he speaking of a person? maybe, but can he be talking of a sentiment like it was a person? like depression or sorrow maybe? it makes sense that after hours of moarning he just tries to deny his suffering not wanting to fall back, not wanting to admit he will be forever alone, he is left outside, but he knows all this is happening and that its nothing but a lie.

Cling to the wave, it cried
And onward to the night
Expecting not and nothing
In the presence of a lie
The deeper that it dug, the more now had to go
Surrender was a fact and the room was decorated
No, no, no - the lie never stopped

Cling to the wave and onward to the night, well it sems like he kinda see this mayor depression comming, and believe me most of the time you can see it comming, its only logical he doesnt expects anything from this inner search he is doing being aware that he lives in a self inflicted world of lies to deny his suffering, the more he looked in himself the more he realized how patetic he was and well if the rom was decorated it means that he kinda knew how to cover up his self-lies, he putten on a facade of happyness for everyone, he decorated the room: himself; and then again he feels weak and desperate and tries to go back to his lie, maybe thinking he WAS happy, only to realize it was always a lie and that it never stopped.

To emptiness has given

See the first section

The strangers
Oh, may they come
In ignorance's disguise

This its a tough one, and i could be more subjective than before, but i think the strangers in ignorance disguise are maybe friends, relatives, or somehow other people trying to help him but for some reason they never help, they are always very ignorant about it, its only logical he is disappointed of the typical "loved" one telling him ooh its gonna be ok you hold on...who doesnt actually.

So in the dark walking
To leave the last of times

Knee-deep in desperation
To fill the gap behind

If he its walking on the dark to live the last of times, its obious to me that he its looking to end his life, hee is so desperate that he needs to do something about the emptiness he carries within, the gap, that he wishes to leave behind.

Boldly tread the night forever
November thoughts are right - oh, never
Taken from the fall - no
Frightened by the key, but the trail behind the house
Felt compelling and new - the lie never stopped
Found at loss for words, now words aren't enough

Again this its an its like ironically describing himself, he enters this depressive state and doesnt fears it, ( and not that i think of it the first time he used night in the first paragraph doesnt seems to be literal either, he could just be refering to this: a state of depression over time he is walking into ) but he refuses to accept this, he doesnt wants to be lost forever, however he is not taken from the fall, this negation, this denial, this self inflicted lie its not enough to keep him going this time. Now lets remember how he spoke of himself as a room, a house, if he is frightened by the key it means he has a way out of himself and his current state, but he fears it, for it is going back to the lies, but the trail behind the house its there, and since its on the back of the house im asuming its the opposite of the key: suicide. The other way out of things. Now this next one, now if he is lost in the words others and himself told, the words that maybe kept him going, its only logical words are not enough this time

Someone told
A vacancy was open
Someone laughed
The silence here was broken
Dug up to make room
The room which you furnished and graced
There is no vacancy
The least can fill the fountain
The most will flood the mold

Now someone ( maybe himself ) told him he could find confort, its a well decorated room, its a facade of lies, pretending and denial were he was told he could find confort, but after digging, after the long hard look at himself he realizes there is no vacancy, no place for him he just cant go back to it. By saying that the least will flood the fountain and the most will flood the mold, he says that this kid of life, this life of denial only works for a few, for everyone of us would just flood the mold with self-inflicted lies until it becomes ridiculus.

It could as well work as Villian proposed, but i always felt this song ( like most of the projector album really ) was about depression and self destruction, something that cant be too far away considering the conditions Mikael hinted to had been living when he write all the lyrics.

Originally posted by Villain
Agreed on both - actually your interpretation of "digging" is far better than mine. I wonder why I didn't get it... :saint:
Cause your mind is dirty :loco:

Heh, I won't - but I could hug you, because you were so nice that you commented. :wave:
Oh, thank you :)

Btw i liked both Villain's and Misanthrope's approaches :)
And I never thought Misanthrope could be so nice in a forum :)

Very good interpretations, both of you. Villain's interpretation of the shovel bit was very interesting :p These gave me a completely new view on the song, so thanks to that. Now, let's see who can convince me Feast of Burden is NOT about gay S/M...

once again, and it's not that Misanthrope is paying me :rolleyes:
he always had been a nice ol' chap in here :)
now I'd really like to search for his spam, but of course I won't go to the IF forum and start search trhough pages! I still have some self love for myself ;)

Yeah Misanthrope hang around the forum more, its awesome when your a good guy lololol.

@villain HEY! I was the first person to comment and commend you on your thread! Wheres my fricken hug! :cries:

Misanthropes interp was damn good as well, i spose i could interpret it but id sound like an idiot, and as I do anyway, I wont add to the problem :lol:

Final_Vision: You're too ugly. :yuk: ;)

I'll comment Misanthrope's interpretation once I get a bit more time...

-Villain (once again damn busy)