Neve vs Pro Tools

vile_ator

www.imperialmastering.com
I told James this story but I want to tell it again. Its facinating I think. I talked the guy that owns the studio next door, Trident, into buying an analog console. He was re investing into his studio and bought a Pro Tools HD3 and wanted a console too. We were convinced that stepping up from the TAC Magnum that he had to a pro console would "Make" the mixes. He bought a Neve V3 60 flying faders from the "Grand ol Opry" in Nashville actually. Really cool cause its recorded all the country greats. But anyway, nice console, well maintained,etc. Looks fantastic, huge. Compressors and gates and 4 band eq on every channel. 48k was the cost. Amazing cause it was like 250 k new back in '86. Anyway, we made some mixes on it and it was great. But then Juan started doing more mixes in "The Box". I was like "What are you doing?" And he was saying it was easier to do it in the box, automation was better, etc. And that he thought it sounded better. Im mastering next door and wasnt doing any mixes for a while so I just thought he was a moron. Well I recorded a band called Goratory over there and used the Neve eventually. I sent 16 busses out of the PT rig into the Neve. Was cool and the mix had a nice analog vibe. Ok, I was happy with it untill I got my computer re vamped over at my place and learned to run Nuendo. As time went on I did some mixes in Nuendo and really got used to doing it that way. Was irritating at first. I always mixed through consoles in the past. But Im doing death metal over here and realized how much more control I got with the workstation. And then I eventually figured out how to make it sound good too.

Ok in time my band Vile needed to record. I tracked all the drums at Trident on the Neve but then took them over to my Nuendo system and tracked the rest of the stuff at my place too. I have some nice mastering gear and 2 Calrec PQ 1081 eq/pres here as well. So the tones I was sending into Nuendo were great. Have a Crane Song STC 8 I used on bass, GML eq, etc, etc.

By the time I was done with this project, I was fully convinced that it was better to mix in the box than to use the Neve. Meanwhile Juan had tried to go back to mixing analog over at his place and kept coming to the same conclusion.

The console makes you lose fidelity. You get a mid bass bump and its overall, less accurate and less refined sounding. It does not add enough of anything to make it worth using. For tracking, yes, great. Its size impresses the clients too. But its just not worth losing fidelity, automation, recall, etc by using it for mixing.

But I do go back to the 40 Grit "heads" album we did a while back from time to time to hear what real analog sounds like. Tracked on a vintage 8058 Neve with Studer A800's. Mixed down on an SSL to modified Studer A80 1/2 inch. And man, I cant get over how glassy and pure the high end is and how 3 dimentional it sounds. Its really popping out at you.

So my conclusion is that if you have really high end analog, like this and have a simple mix, you should do it that way. But if you have to convert to analog to mix through a console, or have all analog but less quality analog, forget it. Digital is better.

Anyone else messed around with the comparisons? I know Andy has. Andy, can you tell me if Neve 8058 and Studer is better than Otari and SSL?

Or if either is better than Digital? For this kind of music of course, metal. What are your opinions of the differences in fidelity? Anyone else?

Colin

i think andy's work and quite a few others that are done ' in the box prove that mixing it in digital yields fantastic results .

i also think that it's dependant on how an engineer is schooled in and that whatever achieves the best for that engineer .

having worked with a few engineers before , i really liked the way Jeremy allom uses pro tools for recall and automation plus plugins , but busses it out to an analog desk for the EQ and compression like u described as above colin .

i've always believe that Digital and analog gear go great hand in hand ...so i'm always still going to stick to using digital gear for it's convienience and pair it off with great analog sounding gear .

Cheers for the story colin !

Regard
Roland

yeah, like toolish said. a good combination between the two is possible.

my guitarist's homestudio also consists of a 16 I/O's sent through a Soundcraft Ghost "Console":loco: and whenever he can he also uses external analog effects (reverbs/EQ's..) , in combination with the automation/and some plug ins in Cubase.

offcourse this is quit a hassle because you don't have totall recall a non automated soundcraft:D so when you want to work on another project you have to throw yuor whole set around and remember/write down your settings on every thing...

he got sick of this sometime ago and also started doing mixes totally "in the box" and i have to say that his mixes realy turned out ALOT and i mean ALOT colder and 2 dimensional (The Digital Harshness people talk about..) then when he still did it with the Soundcraft (you can't go more budget "analog" then that right?)

i told him, and he also notticed... anyway.. were know doing our mixes through the ghost again and using the automation and stuff in cubase works like a charm!!!
So i bet a combination between the 2 is the way to go.....:headbang:

Same Delima here! Bouncing between ITB mixes and mixes through my Soundcraft! It really gets on my nerves! I wish I could be happy with just one format. But, when I do the ITB mixes I start missing my Hardware! I guess if I wasn't raisied in the Old school techniques I probably would have an easier time of converting totally! I still have a fondness of the "hands on" approach, turning knobs and so forth. (And naturally the sound of the Hardware). I sure do appreciate the insight of guys like Andy who prove time and again that you can produce SLAMMIN' records ITB! :worship:

not disagreeing or agreeing with either method... it's a preference... but if your all-digital "in the box" mixes sound "cold, or harsh" then i would suggest that you need to either record better to start with, or get better converters... or both.

Do any of you guys work with the Hydratone eq in the box? That one -beeing a convolutionplugin- can overcome a lot of harshness.. Standard digital eq's don't sound very nice unless you go for the cpu hungry stuff like the Algorithmix.

Mulder said:
Do any of you guys work with the Hydratone eq in the box? That one -beeing a convolutionplugin- can overcome a lot of harshness.. Standard digital eq's don't sound very nice unless you go for the cpu hungry stuff like the Algorithmix.
last time i checked, Waves, McDsp, UAD EQ's, and Sony Oxford were not convolution plugs and Andy, Colin Richardson, a shit load of other well known engineers, and myself all use those... without the end result being "harsh".. so that statement is subjective to say the least. ;)

James Murphy said:
last time i checked, Waves, McDsp, UAD EQ's, and Sony Oxford were not convolution plugs and Andy, Colin Richardson, a shit load of other well known engineers, and myself all use those... without the end result being "harsh".. so that statement is subjective to say the least. ;)

Ok, but there is this big difference in workingprocedure between digital and analog eq's. That's were the 'subjective' part comes from. It all has to do with phaseshift and digital does that with some sort of sampledelayline, while analog works -ofcourse- on a much higher resolution. The hydratone clones the analog eq's thus bypassing the sampledelaylineprinciple that introduces (on low resolutions) some of the harshness. That -btw- can be overcome by internal upsampling, higher bitdepth etc in the eqdesign, but the common build-in eq's of Logic and Cuendo & stuff are build on low cpu use and not on sound.

Have you ever tried the 80-bits Algorithmix RedEQ btw? It eats your cpu to the bone but sounds terrific. You can download a two-week demo and try it yourself.

Mulder said:
Ok, but there is this big difference in workingprocedure between digital and analog eq's. That's were the 'subjective' part comes from. It all has to do with phaseshift and digital does that with some sort of sampledelayline, while analog works -ofcourse- on a much higher resolution. The hydratone clones the analog eq's thus bypassing the sampledelaylineprinciple that introduces (on low resolutions) some of the harshness. That -btw- can be overcome by internal upsampling, higher bitdepth etc in the eqdesign, but the common build-in eq's of Logic and Cuendo & stuff are build on low cpu use and not on sound.

Have you ever tried the 80-bits Algorithmix RedEQ btw? It eats your cpu to the bone but sounds terrific. You can download a two-week demo and try it yourself.
yeah, it's good stuff... wouldn't want to have to use it in a host based system.... which most here are using.

James Murphy said:
yeah, it's good stuff... wouldn't want to have to use it in a host based system.... which most here are using.

One plug at 96Khz would eat almost a whole HDcard.. ;)

You need to use this one at low/med resolutions while mixing and freeze it offline on the track at the 'xtra' qualitysetting. Tedious, but great results.

Mulder said:
One plug at 96Khz would eat almost a whole HDcard.. ;)

You need to use this one at low/med resolutions while mixing and freeze it offline on the track at the 'xtra' qualitysetting. Tedious, but great results.
yeah.. i don't feel there's much point in doing metal at more than 44.1Khz/24bit anway... i've done my own tests and it's just not worth it.

James Murphy said:
yeah.. i don't feel there's much point in doing metal at more than 44.1Khz/24bit anway... i've done my own tests and it's just not worth it.

I agree but found some strange stuff.. I 'Q-cloned' a demo of the Red eq and it turned out that at 44K there was a HF-ripple visible in the screen of the Q-clone starting from 12K up to 20K. When I sampled the Red eq at 88k the ripple was gone.. Dunno exactly what did it, but it's strange anyway. For guitars & stuff it shouldn't be a big problem but cymbals/OH could benefit from 88/96k I guess, just to be shure the HFaudio (& stereo'image) survives the plugin traject.
(I use DPA's for roomrecordings, they go beyond 40K)

Since i started going to Alchemea in london ive had the oppertunity to use an SSL 4000g series and euphonix c2000 and also mix on something like the control 24. And personally i think my mixes always sound fuller on the analogue desks rather than ITB. Plus i think having actual faders helps so much rather than mixing using a mouse.

Also a bit off topic but has anyone ever tried using omni mics as overheads?

I've tried it both ways and I usually prefer the hybrid mix, as in tracking to PT, then mix using either SSL or Neve desks. The only thing I really miss from mixing ITB is the absolute recall, plus things like panning and other automation. I do find that if you plan around those things you can bring things back pretty quickly if need be though. I'm not really much of a fan of the sound of the PT mix buss either..

If the project calls for it, I'll also track drums to analogue, transfer that to PT and then do the editing work and subsequent overdubs in PT. For fusion and rock projects I often prefer the warmth of analogue too. Recently I did a rock album and did a comparison test to see which way was going to sound most appropriate. Tracking the drums (and bass in fact) to analogue won hands down and that made the drummer really happy - always a plus.

Still, I don't think it necessarily works for everything, that's for sure.

Neil K.

NK said:
The only thing I really miss from mixing ITB is the absolute recall, plus things like panning and other automation.

You see i find the match the bars and flashing lights on the SSL quite funny. And the great thing is the desk always blames the assistant if you type in the wrong command :D