NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Yeah, I get what you say. The rhythm fits very well in almost ever song. I still prefer Roopes style, as his rhythm parts are in most of the songs a tad cool than Alexis. Or more fluid... hard to say. Best example is PMS. His style in this song is brilliant.

I have to back up a bit about the whole album after the first euphoria is gone. The lack of leads in this album is bothering me more now than I thought. Also Hexed (song) can't compete with ETID, Widdershins or SNBN because it's missing a good lead or keys section. I'll downvote it to an 9/10.

My overall assessment was a bit too high.

Here are my new votes:

01. This Road 6/10
02. UGAC 2/10
03. Glass Houses 06/10
04. Hecate's 6/10
05. KIAS 6/10
06. PABW 8/10
07. Hexed 9/10
08. Relapse 5/10
09. SNLB 7,5/10
10. Soon 6,5/10
11. Knuckleduster 8/10

So overall it's "just" a 6/10 album which is still good.

The fact the you put PABW over Hecate's Nightmare or Soon Departed really surprises me. PABW is one of the worst song in the album with UGAC (for which I agree on the 2/10)

I have to admit that I wasn't a big fan of the single when it was released first, but now I really like it. It's the most melodic song on the album and gives me a littlebit an FTR vibe.

The other two songs lack both - good melody(s), and cool riffs.

I downgrade nearly all songs because of a missing melody. A song doesn't need one, but then it has to contain some kind of an awesome riff and from what I can tell now, there's not a single good one. That doesn't mean they are bad. I just have really really high expectations.

What Hexed makes a good album is the overall package.

Still working my way through the album but I fucking loved Hexed and Relapse!

I Worship Chaos was recorded at Olavinlinna, Finland and Morrigan at Leyendas del Rock Alicante, Spain.
Oh, I was at the leyendas del rock show, yes, they played Morrigan for the first time since 2016, the guy next to me got the setlist and I was able to take a picture of it (I was who edited it on setlist.fm)
IMG-20190308-202329.jpg

Reactions: Falc0n
The Knuckleduster Remix is a bad joke, aye?! :confused:
The new version of this Song cant compare to the old, Alexi seems to found Kirk Hammets Wah Wah on EBay :D

Overall after the first listening its maybe a 6 from 10...not really sure about this...

That remix is not so good indeed. Some remixed parts are quite weak. I think the original version was better actually. But anyway, that's cool this song gets its place on the album!

Holy crap. This album couldn't be any more mediocre and forgettable in general. Also way too formulaic. Intro. Verse. Chorus. Verse. Chorus. Solo. Chorus. At least in the first half of the album. The second half is much better though and has some of their better work in a long time.
Some really short and general first impressions. Most songs do have an enjoyable part, but too often not longer than a couple seconds.

This Road while not bad is just meh.

Under Glass and Clover is as shit as it always was.

Glass Houses I guess I listened to. Can't remember one thing about it. Went back to it later, isn't that bad. Forgettable, but don't mind listening to it at all.

The second half of Hecate's Nightmare is pretty fun. But that is not worth listening to rest of the song for.

Kick in a Spleen: take any good Bodom song. Take out any memorable leads. There you go. The solos don't impress me much either.

Platitudes and Barren Words: One of the better intros and lead riffs on the album. Don't mind this song. Best one so far.

Hexed: the neoclassical parts are cool. But they don't match the rest of the song. It's just there for the hell of it. Second half of the song redeems itself though. Shave of the first 2 minutes and you get a good song with enough variety.

Relapse: Much better. The first full song on the album that makes me feel the sensation of listening to Bodom stuff.

Say Never Look Back: I really like this one as well. Can this album really turn things around? 2 out of 2 here.

Soon Departed: You can feel the rawness while still polished. Masterpiece.

Knuckleduster: Absolutely horrendous in comparison to the original. The new lyrics catch me off guard and it misses that special sauce the original did have. As an original song it still is wonderful though. Can't see me ever listening to this over the original.
(Hidden song): Nice start to a potentially great song. Want to hear that as a full song. Curious as to what the original intention for this thing was.
Remix: Let's not talk about this. Ever.

First impressions overall: not the best, but the highlights are really high. Some of the absolute worst and some of the (close to) absolute best.
I'll have to listen to all songs a couple more times to give a better judgement. There hasn't been a single album that hasn't grown on me no matter how shit it sounded first time around (Blooddrunk), so even though I dislike the first 5 songs, there are 3 absolutely great song and some songs with lengthy good parts it is worth putting some time into.
To be continued.

6/10

Kilion, nice to see someone agreeing with me on Soon Departed. I don't fully sure your skepticism about the album, but I also agree that the best of it is in the second half (though I really dig Hecate's Nightmare).

To the people who said that there are no good riffs in this album (I think it was Arcane but I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to reread everything), seriously?!!! I just finished learning Soon Departed on the guitar and I genuinely believe the riff right after the solo is one of Bodom's greatest.

Yeah you've got the same criticism that a lot of us are saying. A lot of these verses could have been lead melody sections. After maybe 10 listens now, I think the following songs are great or good enough to include in my playlist:

-Hexed (I think you'll come around to this track)
-Kick in the spleen
-Soon Departed
-Hecate's Nightmare (this one is stuck in my head most of the time)
-Relapsed

5 good songs is pretty damn good for a modern COB record. They definitely hit the soundworld out of the park with this one it just needed a bit more variety and fuckin lead guitar damnit. I want to add say never look back to my good enough list because of the interlude part but the entire song isn't good enough.

edit: sadly, I think the lack of variety of sections in the songs will mean we'll get bored of these songs faster than we'd like, though.

I couldn't rate each song yet, but I can make kind of a ranking (for the moment) (good = to my only taste, purely subjective) :

1) Good songs of the album (7 to 9/10):

Glass Houses
Platitudes and Barren Words
[melodies]
Relapse (The Nature of My crime)
[makes me think about Sinergy in some parts]
Say Never Look Back
Knuckleduster
[still a good song, even though I would say I prefer the original version]

2) Less good songs of the album (5 to 7/10):

Hexed [don't really like all the rythms but the melody part and outro are clearly the best part of the songs which make it a good song] ;
Kick in a Spleen [kind of mix of black and thrash metal]
This Road
[catchy]
Under Glass And Cover
[melodies]
Hecate's Nightmare
[melodies]

3) Not really good songs of the album (3 to 5/10):

Soon Departed

Well, actually, I really couldn't rank the songs at the moment :rofl: there are not really omg-riffs, but at the same time, there isn't many bad things to criticize.

By the way, short riff of Say Never Look Back (0:36-0:38) sounds like My Bodom (0:07-0:08).
There are others similarities with IWC album in this new album ; with HoB album also. Much more with the two last albums to a so-called "back to the roots".

But that is only after a few listenings (actually two). And as Arcane brilliantly said it :

But I could be wrong... maybe this album is full of great riffs which I didn't recognize yet... I really need to do some tabs.

Already many thanks for your tabs Arcane :heh:

Yeah you've got the same criticism that a lot of us are saying. A lot of these verses could have been lead melody sections. After maybe 10 listens now, I think the following songs are great or good enough to include in my playlist:

-Hexed (I think you'll come around to this track)
-Kick in the spleen
-Soon Departed
-Hecate's Nightmare (this one is stuck in my head most of the time)
-Relapsed

5 good songs is pretty damn good for a modern COB record. They definitely hit the soundworld out of the park with this one it just needed a bit more variety and fuckin lead guitar damnit. I want to add say never look back to my good enough list because of the interlude part but the entire song isn't good enough.

edit: sadly, I think the lack of variety of sections in the songs will mean we'll get bored of these songs faster than we'd like, though.

Funny to see it is like we have totally different tastes :D finally, maybe the album tries to make good compromises for everyone!

Funny to see it is like we have totally different tastes :D finally, maybe the album tries to make good compromises for everyone!

Lol I think it's two things. 1) It's still really early. It takes some time for us to actually fully digest the songs. I expect a lot of us will flip flop on ranks and likes in the coming weeks. 2) Sadly there is no clear cut amazing song(s) that 99% of people are in love with. I thought Hexed was going to be it when I first listened to it, but it turns out to be another niche track.

Reactions: MaximHateCrew
Cheers,

I am new here, though I listen to Bodom (and other music of course) half of my life... I am 34 now.

I have had a hard day.... my mind is still fucked up from all the impressions, thoughts, tasks etc. of the day, right now I am having my third beer (0,5 liter bottles).... So my impressions of the album might change wehen my mind is clearer and I can focus more on the album.

Right now I think:

- better than the last albums
- partial very good melodies and vibes
- lacks the DENSE and menacing / dark atmosphere of FTR and HCDR
- guitars sound a little thin / weak
- vocals and keys sound great
- bassdrum is also fat which is nice.... fits better than the rattling of triggered and thinned out bassdrums...

Reactions: NoLimit