New Album

bst

New Metal Member
Mar 25, 2009
Can't wait for the new album!

The Bottom Deep has really grown on me, I really hope that the new album keeps a lot of things from it. I find it more mature than the other albums, and more focussed (more efficient, more raw), but its just as musically interesting. Its like all the best things were kept (but, some were removed too). For example I find the other albums a bit tiring to listen to in their entirety, they're a huge assault on the ears, theres so much going on and the recording and instruments just don't sound as smooth as TBD. I kind of want to edit the old albums and tone some things down a bit, make them smoother, and flow less abruptly.

I know TBD was a concept album, so I don't expect the same thing again, but I just really hope that sound from TBD shines through on the new album, it just sounds so tight and real, more musical, its less about technical prowess, but music to listen to, and still fast enough to feel energetic. It feels like expert musicians producing a great sound effortlessly. I think the only element I missed was the "fun of it", the old albums make me smile sometimes, they have a charm about them, but TBD was too depressing and serious to do that so much.

One thing I always thought were great about communic, but not used enough, were the slower moments. Usually what happened in the old albums was they would start slow, then they relentlessly become fast and complex. It always disappointed me a bit, because I could hear there was great music in those albums, but it kind of drowned in its own complexity. So in my opinion TBD really solved that, and in the end it resulted in a more captivating and dynamic sound.

Its not that TBD is more accessible, it took longer to grow on me than the other albums even, but it was more easy to listen to.

Also I really like Oddleif's voice in TBD, less shouting and screaming, in the end it sounded like he had more range by using the top end less - I could hear the instruments better, and they didn't have to play so "loud" to keep up. And I really appreciate it sometimes when the singer lets the instruments play, especially when they are as good as Communic's. Less can be more, a lot more! (I'm thinking a bit of Enchant where they let the instruments play).

So I guess I am just saying that I hope Communic doesn't ONLY go back to the old style, I hope it brings the smoother delivery of TBD and the sound of its instruments (its clarity), and the "fun factor" of the old albums (not 100% depressing, more like EVIL!).

Hmmm I hope what I say makes sense. I just feel like Communic has a chance to make one of the greatest albums ever made, I don't feel like they done it yet, its just my opinion of course, but to me all of the pieces are there, and I hope they are used. Its like everything made so far is a showcase of what could be, but its just got to be joined together. Kind of like, if you have the best engine, the best chassis, the best suspension, but they are all in different cars - I wish they put them all into one "car"! :)

I don't mean to be rude or not appreciate the work put into those albums, I am just trying to be honest and hope that Oddleif reads this, not to learn from me, but just to get an honest opinion and feedback. Its not really any of my business, but I still wanted to say it, even if no one reads it, just to finally say it.

And I just want to end by saying thanks for all the great music you have made so far, its been hours of listening pleasure for me and my friends :)

Hey bst.
Thanks for your in dept thoughts about what we have done so far. I can agree with you. We wanted TBD to be darker, less polished, that is why I wanted to take control of the production. It needed to be dark and depressive, not much room for the fun stuff, but that is just how it was supposed to be. These songs on TBD album was so close to not be released in the first place, just to be used for my own therapy, if I can call it that. I'm so happy that I decided to put it out there, and it will always be a very special album to me.

Regarding the other albums, I also agree that they are a bit over produced, and it would have been cool to try to do some re-mixed now as the albums has been a few years older. Anyway, we are working hard on putting together the next album, and I think that some of the fun aspect is back, at least it feels like fun to play these songs and really looking forward to start pre-production soon and everything that follows.

Thanks again, and stay tuned, even dough this forum is a bit retired.

Cheers
Oddleif

For those who want, hook up with us at FB.

www.facebook.com/oddleifstensland

www.facebook.com/OfficialCommunic

Thanks Oddleif, I'm glad you didn't see my post as negative, but only as encouragement.

I fully agree that TBD deserved to be released, and I'm also very happy that you chose to. We are all human and can share similar feelings and experiences. So to me it is also a special album, and I think to many others too. I see it as a brave exposure of your internal feelings, laid bare. In releasing it, I feel that its a way of saying to others, "You're not alone", and, "You don't have to be ashamed of your feelings". I think especially in these days, its a very important message, and the best music has always been about sending a message for people to relate to and learn something from. Also, this album reminded me that we often see people but we rarely see within them, and maybe we would be surprised of what we saw, if people felt more comfortable to show it, and we were more capable of listening.

Also some people said to you, its wrong to release an album so different from the last, and I completely disagree. I don't even understand this statement, except from a commercial point of view. I think its meaningless from an artistic and progressive point of view - destructive even. I'm glad you ultimately do what you want to do as an artist. And really that is the main reason above all, why I look forward to your next album... which I hope you have a lot of fun making, and everything goes well. I will definitely be buying it as soon as it comes out :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and sharing your thoughts. Its a shame this forum is so quiet, but facebook is so much better for sharing your music, so I can understand it. But I think this forum is nice for discussion (better than facebook because its more detailed), so I think it could be a good idea to advertise it a bit on facebook, and when interesting topics come up, they can be posted on facebook, like "join in this interesting discussion on the forums". Maybe its not a good idea but I thought I would mention it!