New Amorphis album

I like the feel and the composition of it a lot, but I keep imagining what it would look like if Dave McKean made a mixed-media version of it the way that he did for some of his Sandman covers:

36748-4207-41083-1-sandman-the_super.jpg

With a bit more depth the jaws would pop more and help make visual sense of the composition.

(sorry if I sound more academic-y than usual...writing something for work and it's hard to shift back and forth)

Art Nouveau was all the rage in metal covers last year.
I don't get it either.

I love real Art Nouveau and other classic styles through history, I actually took many college classes in history of architecture, interior design, art, and landscapes. I can't remember seeing a band apply this style since the 1970's unless I'm forgetting something.

The art deco similarities are clearly there

Ahem. Art Deco is more streamlined, and is something like this:

Nord_Express_Art_Deco_Travel_Poster.jpg

Art Nouveau is curvy and organic. Just had to say something, but the two have been blended and confused throughout history. :eek: (the teacher in me)

Actually the outer border of leaves seems to be acanthus leaves, stylized in past renaissance movements.

And in zooming in the image, there is a beaded head band with a hanging diamond pendand, clearly only a female would wear, very Art Nouveau.

So we have a moon with antlers, some horse jaws and all this other stuff.

Let me digest this for a while, I'm a bit puzzled.

:OMG:

But I would guess that is not a horse jaw. Horses have biger teeth, and not so many of them.

I actually have a horse jaw set I found in New Mexico years ago, I've been quite the bone collector since a little cub. Probably 200+ skulls and countless assorted other bones.

I recognized them right away. Moose are longer and skinny (but big) so size comparison here on her face can't be compared on the album cover:

230410d1332398576-jaw-bone-id-needed-horse.jpg

And keep in mind there are different types of horses, but they always have the wide jaw.

So the relation to the horse on the old My Kantele video and Kalevala is____________????

I actually have a horse jaw set I found in New Mexico years ago, I've been quite the bone collector since a little cub. Probably 200+ skulls and countless assorted other bones.

Don´t ment to question your knowledge, I know nothing about bones and skulls. (exept what I have "learned" from dr. T. Brennan :) )

I just counted those tooths. Horse´s have (atleast nowadays domesticated ones) five or sex tooth per cheek, and that cover jaws have more.

But as I said, don´t really know nothing about lines of a (jaw) bones.
My inner horse-girl want to think it´s not a horse. :saint:

My inner horse-girl want to think it´s not a horse. :saint:

Nuke Blast might wanna add a movie-style disclaimer to the liner notes - "No animals were harmed in the making of this album." ;) Maybe we should just take it for an unspecified totem animal, just like the figure in the middle is neither a guy nor a girl. (In a way, I can very much identify with the latter. Didn't choose my avatar for aught...)

Have someone in Finland ordered from NB? If I pre-order, can I get the cd in Finland at the day of relase? Or will it take day or two of extra-delivery to Finland?
And is the shipping payment really 14€ to Finland?

NB mailorder is a joke and a very bad one at that.
Shipping to Australia is 28 euros.
My last (final one ever) in 2012 was for the new Wintersun album.
They didn't even ship it until after the European release date.
Plus their limited edition mail order only items are usually way overpriced.

NB mailorder is a joke and a very bad one at that.
Furthermore, the last time I received a shipment from them, it was torn open along the side, a miracle that the contents were still complete.

So the relation to the horse on the old My Kantele video and Kalevala is____________????
Horses are mentioned a few times, but usually just as means of transportation. Lemminkäinen's second task (after the moose and before the swan) is to catch the devil's horse: "Hiien ruskea hevonen, Hiien varsa vaahtileuka" (cf. Enigma, "I tamed the golden horse"), but I don't think the bones on the cover are meant to be a direct reference. As far as I remember, the only mammal skull mentioned in detail is the one of the bear in Ch. 46, which is placed in the branches of a tree after the hunt (I always took the skulls at the bottom of the tree on the back cover of Skyforger to be bears' but never checked if they really are. Please correct me if not, I can just about tell a cat from a dog when it comes to skulls'n'bones...)

I forgot to say that I actually like this Art Nouveau-style; when it was introduced in our art history lessons, I kind of become interested in the style. So to me it's nice to see this style even in some album cover. Well, it could be even better without horse jaws, but still they don't distract me too much. But I prefer the animal skulls in Forging of the Thousand Lakes, they were pretty cool stuff. ;)

Horses are mentioned a few times, but usually just as means of transportation. Lemminkäinen's second task (after the moose and before the swan) is to catch the devil's horse: "Hiien ruskea hevonen, Hiien varsa vaahtileuka" (cf. Enigma, "I tamed the golden horse"), but I don't think the bones on the cover are meant to be a direct reference.

Interesting, I think we're onto something subliminal...

As far as I remember, the only mammal skull mentioned in detail is the one of the bear in Ch. 46, which is placed in the branches of a tree after the hunt (I always took the skulls at the bottom of the tree on the back cover of Skyforger to be bears' but never checked if they really are. Please correct me if not

Funny that all this skull and bone stuff is coming out now, love it.
For Skyforger, when I first saw the album artwork I thought it was a wolf. Longer and more narrow than a bear. But in close detail I see some possibility of a bear, and the story you mention would make absolute sense. Silly me, maybe I am majestic :puke:

Skyforger:
Amorphis-Skyforger-Interior_Frontal.jpg

Bear:
66.JPG

Wolf:
Wolf_Skull_by_rgstock777.jpg

And of course this is an artist's interpretation of an animal, morphing with the touch of a brush. Without scale it's hard to say, A bear skull in real life is quite large, a wolf (not small either) but side by side they could be identified.

Here the artist added extra "side teeth":
Amorphis-Forging-The-Land-Of-Thousand-Lakes-Amaray-355x500.jpg