New Amorphis album

Art Nouveau was all the rage in metal covers last year.

Ignoring the bones and horns, I finally realized what image the Circle cover reminds me of. Actually it's no album cover at all but Alphonse Mucha's champagne poster from the late 1800s...
smiley_champagne.gif

mucha_moetchandon.jpg

Not at all.
The bright white colour of the thingy in the middle, either.
What's with the jaws anyway? Is the artist a failed facial surgeon or something?

For this kind of money I'd expect a personal delivery by at least one band member at an hour of my convenience :devil:
Looks like the marketing department is in deep creative crisis.

For this kind of money I'd expect a personal delivery by at least one band member at an hour of my convenience :devil:

Now we're talking.
Thumbs_up.gif
The only worse rip-off in terms of Amorphis singles was "From The Heaven Of My Heart" - no previously unreleased songs, a boring, cheaply done cover and all that for SEVEN euros. Levykauppa Äx is still trying it to sell it at that price, good luck. Damn, when "Silver Bride" came out three years ago, it cost 3 euros and featured an extra song otherwise only released in Japan.

What I wonder is a) will this single be sold in regular stores at all and b) will the lyrics of the album give any clue about the jaw issue. Or are they supposed to signify that the music has more bite? :D

Ok, I'll be the black sheep and say that I don't think it's a bad cover. It's not amazing or anything...but I kinda like it. Maybe more than the album one.
It's still early to say though.

BTW there's again gonna be female vocals on the album, this time done by Mari Multanen (who sang on the "acoustic" tour in spring). No idea how much, though, I just found the info on the website of her new band Reversion.

Now we're talking.
Thumbs_up.gif
The only worse rip-off in terms of Amorphis singles was "From The Heaven Of My Heart" - no previously unreleased songs, a boring, cheaply done cover and all that for SIX euros. Levykauppa Äx is still trying it to sell it at that price, good luck. Damn, when "Silver Bride" came out three years ago, it cost 3 euros and featured an extra song otherwise only released in Japan.

What I wonder is a) will this single be sold in regular stores at all and b) will the lyrics of the album give any clue about the jaw issue. Or are they supposed to signify that the music has more bite? :D

The entire thing smells of a shameless case of "we're ripping you off of your hard-earned money" - from the release, through the "extras" to the shipping rates. At least the webshop had the guts to openly admit that, yes, of course, they are charging us through the nose for shipping to make a profit.
Good luck with that!
Besides, I do remember something along the lines of "we're not going to put out physical singles anymore"

Like I already said, the marketing department is in serious crisis and obviously has never heard of "value for money". Yes, indeed, if the single contained an exclusive song, or a remix, or a demo, or something more intriguing, and was shipped at some bearable price, I would have been the first to pre-order and maybe the overall sales would be better. There's nothing wrong in selling signed copies, of course, but a) with some luck one can easily get their stuff signed at a gig and b) it's far more thrilling to have it signed in person.
And, yes, I also got the "Silver Bride" single. Not because I like the song so much and I usually don't bother with singles at all, but "Separated" is really, really good and there was no other way of getting it.

Inferno just posted their impression from the listening session. Since this time I wasn't there in person, I gotta trust their words.
Wink.gif

The review is very positive, according to the author "the guitars grab you by the throat right from the first song. Although there is still keyboards in abundance and calmer moments as well, the whole is less ethereal than the last four albums, more in your face."

Here's the song-for-song description:

1. Shades Of Gray

Starting with a familiar arabic scale, the song continues from death growls to a cleanly sung chorus. Sets the stakes right away, with snot and attitude.

2. Mission

Starts with a beautiful keyboard part. Catchy verse and chorus. The second verse is followed by a massive middle part based on a strong beat, almost a 1980s feeling here. I feel like applauding after this awesome track.

3. The Wanderer

The absolute crown jewel of the album. The song contains a stunningly exquisite chorus, the highlight of which is a single, unexpected pop note. It proves that small things can do miracles. The transposition at the end is not done the standard eurovision way, but with discretion and style. Sublime!

4. Narrow Path

Starting with a woodwinds intro, the folky song doesn't feel equally great than the stunning opening trio. Despite sounding somewhat lame at first listening, it might yet grow slowly into a positive surprise, since for example the sawing guitars of the verse do offer potential. The guitar solo could have been brought more to the forefront.

5. Hopeless Days

Contains a simple, but efficient metallic riff. The story of the social outcast drawing power from tradition is perhaps best expressed by this song, or at least the tranquil chorus makes me listen to the lyrics more closely compared to the other tracks.

6. Nightbird’s Song

The calm beginning is followed by a strong death metal riff. Stormy action, particularly upon reaching the second verse. At some point during this song I realize that the delay-based guitar riffs familar from the earlier albums have so far been missing on this one. Guitarist Tomi Koivusaari later corrects my notion: they do exist in Hopeless Days. However, Koivusaari admits that guitar patterns of this type indeed play a smaller role this time.

7. Into the Abyss

A piano-based riff which is then doubled by the electric guitars. Layered vocals during the verse. The chorus seems monotonous at first but gets infectious during the last round if not before. The exquisite, open-spaced keyboard solo could have continued for even longer.

8. Enchanted by the Moon

A delicate arpeggiated intro that, if I remember correctly, is reprised towards the end. A better than average song, although I cannot come up with a clear analysis at first listening.

9. A New Day

An ending worthy of the album. The atmospheric vocals of the verses are built on heavy guitars. Another sublime chorus. After the second chorus follows an airy, folk-style break. Befitting the dramatic arc, the end calms down with wind instruments and piano.

Amorphis11-622x256.jpg

Text and photo: Toni Keränen

Not at all.
The bright white colour of the thingy in the middle, either.
What's with the jaws anyway? Is the artist a failed facial surgeon or something?

Been thinking about the jaw thing and the studio reports and bits of the Kalevala and wonder if those jaws on the Circle album cover don't belong to either an Elk/Caribou or a Moose. You can see how this might fit the theme of the album between the Deer-man in Denis' studio report pt. 3 and the Hiisi Elk/Devil's Moose from the Lemminkäinen Cycle.

What do you all think?

Perhaps it's worth examining the jaw theme more closely. I am trying hard to remember if there was some specific mentioning of jawbones in the European mythologies, but can't come up with anything. (Perhaps the wine has something to do with this). Or if the artist is American, perhaps there might be something in the American mythologies, with which I am not very familiar. A bit far-fetched I know, but... On the other hand, I suggest that we stop looking for a calf under the ox, as we say in Bulgaria.

And thanks for the translation! <3
It sounds very promising.

Hopeless Days-artwork... well it's not that bad, but for sure there are much better cover arts. In my opinion it could look better without the jaw and the hannunvaakuna-symbol could be bit darker that it wouldn't pop out of the background so much. But I don't care about single artworks that much (Black Winter Day and Silent Waters are only ones I really like, also House of Sleep is nice in a way), to me the cover artworks of the actual albums are more important. Okay, the music itself is the most important thing...

There's nothing wrong in selling signed copies, of course, but a) with some luck one can easily get their stuff signed at a gig and b) it's far more thrilling to have it signed in person.

I couldn't agree more. To be honest, when I read that it's signed copy, I was, like, "okay". :D I think I already have enough autographs, so it's not so necessary to have more of them. Besides in this way one can get some self-made stuff signed, which is much more exciting indeed. ;)

That sounds promising, I must say. And female vocals sound nice as well; I liked Mari's voice when she sang on those acoustic gigs.

Perhaps the jaws would refer to hunting? At least moose was a holy animal in Finnish mythology, but still people hunted them a lot. Just my thought, skulls and jaws always remind me of bears and pikes. ;)

On the other hand, I suggest that we stop looking for a calf under the ox, as we say in Bulgaria.

I'm an academic...looking for a calf under the ox is practically my job description. :loco:

In the North American Arctic the Inuit make miniature dogsleds out of Caribou (Reindeer) jawbones. The sled or sleigh is one of the traditional symbols of the Shaman's journey in many Circumpolar, shamanistic practices as the sleigh is what carries the shaman's soul into the Otherworld while s/he is in a trance.

The Inuit link is not meant to be an explanation of where the image comes from so much as it reminded me of the link between the Shaman and the sleigh and magic deer/elk/moose as the helper that carries the soul to the other side. The last part is not much of a stretch, knowing what we do about Pekka Kainulainen.

Human jaw. :wave:

Again artist's representation, although it could be a neanderthal, saani, or bigfoot jaw. Moose have a few giant molars in front, and a big space until the molars.

Although I did read about the fact that most of us humans have a "little" dna related to the neanderthals, and most of the connection was northern Europe.
(pbs special, can't remember exactly but recent) So if you are white and european and american, neanderthal DNA is in us. There is a genome that recently proved that. :Spin: