New Anathema Song - Angels Walk Among Us

If there's at least a few 'A Fine Day To Exit' moments, I'd be happy.

Lightening song just screams ' A fine day to exit ' from within :rolleyes:

And by the way, I think that new album would be half-half...that means half faking masterpieces and other half boring...but...and I also don't get why many people say that AFDTE is their worst album...for me sure one of the best, because od sick good atmosphere and all songs are really great...Barriers, Underworld, Panic, Pressure, Release...I mean...wow...perfect stuff :worship:

Lightening song just screams ' A fine day to exit ' from within :rolleyes:

And by the way, I think that new album would be half-half...that means half faking masterpieces and other half boring...but...and I also don't get why many people say that AFDTE is their worst album...for me sure one of the best, because od sick good atmosphere and all songs are really great...Barriers, Underworld, Panic, Pressure, Release...I mean...wow...perfect stuff :worship:

Faking masterpieces? makes no sense, but ok.

Anyhow I agree afdte is surely their best release. Easily the strongest written album they have under their belts.

...and I also don't get why many people say that AFDTE is their worst album...for me sure one of the best, because od sick good atmosphere and all songs are really great...Barriers, Underworld, Panic, Pressure, Release...I mean...wow...perfect stuff :worship:

i strongly disagree. to me,only Release and Leave No Trace are interesting. it's by far their weakest effort imo

Let me put things in persecutive. Song writing is like writing a good story there has to be solid structure with solid pacing meaning rising, and falling of action. Just when the song peaks is a precise thing that only a mature song writer can do. They weren't the songwriters or the musicians capable of doing this on their first releases. Musicianship is vastly superior from their first records even vastly superior to alt 4 or even judgement. Some of the guitar lines musically speaking for emotional impact are matched only by david gilmour. Really tasteful guitar I can't stress this enough. The choruses are solid, and I mean solid. Song dynamics are just more varied, which is what being musical is all about. This is the cd that should have gotten them huge recognition, and for a good reason.

Hypnos: You can't go around saying it's their weakest because thats just not true. Just like you can't say last fair deal is katatonia's weakest. Viva is my personal fav kat cd, but I can't say lfdgd is weaker, because musically lfdgd is katatonia's crowing moment. They may not be your personal favorite, but that doesn't make them the weakest. Also do you have some problem with things that are catchy? Is it less trU or something?

: P

AFDTE has definitely grown on me, but I still see Alt. 4 and Judgement as their two best albums. "Release" is a fantastic song though and definitely in my Anathema top 5. The beef I have with AFTDE might be that it's not depressive enough, it rather has more chilling elements; kinda like A Natural Disaster.

Depressing is a matter of opinion for I find it to be their most depressing. Although natural, and judgement have their fair share of just as depressing moments.

Depression has a lot of forms and AFDTE and AND are definetly two of them. But well, we all experience music differently. I for one can't see anything praticularly depressing in shining (well, except if I read the lyrics while listening) and that's like not seeing green in a jungle or whatever.

BlueSky Depressing is a matter of opinion for I find it to be their most depressing. Although natural, and judgement have their fair share of just as depressing moments.

I agree again...really don't know the real reason for that, maybe it's because of great( and depressive )lyrics( Panic maybe?--pretty much sick and depressive ), maybe because great songs that are catchy, but not in the famous, cliche way, and maybe it is because of great cover( although I find A Natural Disaster cover to be the most beautiful [and most depressive again] in general by any band ).

But, I don't want to leave the impression that I think this is by far the best anathema album...absolutely not, all Anathema albums are equally great, but this one just have that 'something' in it.... :oops:

Let me put things in persecutive. Song writing is like writing a good story there has to be solid structure with solid pacing meaning rising, and falling of action. Just when the song peaks is a precise thing that only a mature song writer can do. They weren't the songwriters or the musicians capable of doing this on their first releases. Musicianship is vastly superior from their first records even vastly superior to alt 4 or even judgement. Some of the guitar lines musically speaking for emotional impact are matched only by david gilmour. Really tasteful guitar I can't stress this enough. The choruses are solid, and I mean solid. Song dynamics are just more varied, which is what being musical is all about. This is the cd that should have gotten them huge recognition, and for a good reason.
: P

I know you were mainly talking about AFDTE here, and I think I agree (if i understood you right) with the things you say about structure, raising and falling of intensity and action etc. Im just a bit curious what albums you are talking about when you say "first releases". Personally i find an album like TSE to be much more interesting and dynamic and well balanced than their current demo, wich implies that the upcoming album might turn out to be somewhat of a snoozefest, if yo ask me.

@BlueSky: i didn't wrote it's their weakest album. i wrote it's IMO their weakest album. i don't consider my opinion as absolute truth. AFDTE just doesn't sound right for me, compared to Eternity, Alternative 4 or Silent Enigma for example. you might be right that they are better musicians on AFDTE, but the songs on the albums i mentioned in the last sentence move me way more than the ones on AFDTE.
when i say it's their weakest album, that doesn't mean it's bad. it's better than most of the albums out there. the same goes for LFDGD.

i also have no problems with catchy songs, not at all

I know you were mainly talking about AFDTE here, and I think I agree (if i understood you right) with the things you say about structure, raising and falling of intensity and action etc. Im just a bit curious what albums you are talking about when you say "first releases". Personally i find an album like TSE to be much more interesting and dynamic and well balanced than their current demo, wich implies that the upcoming album might turn out to be somewhat of a snoozefest, if yo ask me.

First albums are all their releases before alt 4 is really what I meant. I agree about the new demo being that there are no dynamics. Songs were very boring, but I think that steven wilson will help shape them into something incredible.

hypnos: Fair enough.

Last week i have been listening to anathema and only anathema (warmup for the concert saturday...yay!)
and i must say that afdte and AND has grown to be my absolute favourite albums...
it took a good while to get in to them, but they are insanely good..

The Anathema cd's are a lot about mood. If I'm über depressed I go with Alt. 4 or Silent Enigma. If I'm in more of a chillout mood I go for AFTDE or AND. Judgement has always been my fav for its beauty. What kinda songs are Anathema doing on tour btw? Mostly calm ones right?

I posted a setlist on the last.fm gig-site Stefan. I doubt they will play that many songs though. I read on the soulreaper-forum that they only played 45 minutes as warmup for PT, if they only play 45min in Stockholm on saturday i will be disappointed. I mean, they NEVER play here so they better give us a great gig.