Anathema without deal to record new album

Cerulean said:
And some of these people don't seem to understand anything, especially if they think Pulled Under was the best song of their recent albums :Smug:
but it WAS though?

total fucking silent enigma riff going, none of the robot voice bullshit

It makes me so freakin mad to think about the way this musicindustry is today... Stuff that you can hardly describe as music (pusy cat dolls etc) is on the radio and on the tv ALL the time...
And true music , such little masterpieces as "Are You There" (Iv cried several times to that song it's so so so wonderfull, absolutely takes you away to a shadowy world and spirits and.. ok sorry drifting of here) are never heard except for some people that search hard enough to find good music.. And even for those its hard to find it.
Seriously it's just maddening.. I can only imagine how Anathema themselves feel...

I find it ridiculously stupid that a gifted band such as Anathema doesnt have a record deal....i mean...hello out there record companies..theres a excellent band with a glorious past out there who clearly stands out from the rest of rock scene..it´s a shame really...i think i´ll buy the tracks just to help this band get over this humilliating period...they are exceptional...

The Silent Enigma is godly but... It's a carbon copy of Doom Metal Influences with Celtic Frost (can't rembember the name), i was deeply disappointed with this.
The new direction, yeah, they have some good songs... but so many time wasters. Alternative 4 touched me, but there were different times back then.

Juniper said:
It makes me so freakin mad to think about the way this musicindustry is today... Stuff that you can hardly describe as music (pusy cat dolls etc) is on the radio and on the tv ALL the time...
And true music , such little masterpieces as "Are You There" (Iv cried several times to that song it's so so so wonderfull, absolutely takes you away to a shadowy world and spirits and.. ok sorry drifting of here) are never heard except for some people that search hard enough to find good music.. And even for those its hard to find it.
Seriously it's just maddening.. I can only imagine how Anathema themselves feel...

I used to think that it is the uncommon forms/shapes of the different types of music that scares people away (the long and diverse arrangements in classical music, the progressive layered distortion and pounding sounds in metal, the obscurity of Jazz etc...)

But now it seems to me that even bands that reach a level of accessibility in terms of their sound still cannot make it in the business simply because the the crowd of ppl out there don't appreciate depth in music. It is easy to blame the coorporations in this process, but remember that it is the people who are always looking for the next "hot beat", music business is simply a consequence of that stupidity. So there we have it! Everything is dumbed down into a single common denominator. Wether it's the "Indie Rock" station you're listenning to or "soft rock", "hip Hop", "Trance" ... it doesn't matter they are all virtually the same thing dressed up differently to give them identity _ Which is why it is so easy to mix/hybrid these "genres" (Linkin Park anyone?)

Sorry I know I went a little off topic there, my point is that the reason a band like Anathema is unsigned while PussyCatDolls make millions is simply because music with depth takes time to get into, and nobody has time these days. people just want something shallow and formulaic they can appreciate in the first few listens, get tired of, and go for the next trend.

As for the song, it sounds Ok to me. A bit too simple maybe but the atmosphere is still (mostly) there. I just hope they don't compromise their quality for a better deal...