Anathema without deal to record new album

DirgeForNovember

Child Of Entropia
May 1, 2004
From www.anathema.ws:

anathema release three new songs on i-tunes 18th april

anathema will release 3 new songs, on i-tunes in april to coincide with their tour supporting finish goth rockers HIM. the three tracks rumoured to be released are..

1 one day
2 everything
3 angels walk among us

there will be official announcements soon.

IMPORTANT!

as the band is without a record deal and without any financial backing to record an album, we respectfully ask all our fans to go to the i-tunes site and pay for the songs.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! as you will be directly supporting the band at a difficult time, and your money will go towards paying for anathema to record an album this year.

we need your help.

if you want to be a true fan and help the band directly, instead of helping record companies... do not copy these songs from your friends! go to i-tunes on april 18th and buy them. the price is very cheap!

best wishes

anathema

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm speechless. Why would a relatively well-known band with constant quality outputs like Anathema not get a record deal? I deeply hope that they get enough money this way to record the album, they're one of my favourite bands and their new album was one of my most anticipated records of 2006. It's really sad to see how the music industry works nowadays.

I'm sorry if this isn't Katatonia-related enough, but since many Katatonia fans around here seem to like Anathema a lot, I thought some of you would care.

this does not sound good. i hope anathema does not split up as a result of all this. there was talk earlier of danny cavanaugh leaving the band. how on earth a band like anathema does not get a record deal?

"how on earth a band like anathema does not get a record deal?"

It could have something to do with things like rights to their old material etc.

Look at their latest DVD.
When they were on MFN they were only allowed to record songs from their 3 last albums. I bet (and hope) that they want a deal where their new company buys the rights to their old material so they can record what they want. I dont think this is an easy deal to find though.

I might be totally wrong though cause im not sure on how things like this really works.

Anathema is becoming a Turkish band =) every year they come to Turkey for 2-3 times =) Because Turkish fans are the most crowded audience they have in the world. Every concert hall gets completely full when they play here. Last time they had a concert in a amphitheater. Anathema is so popular in Turkey that everyone knows and listens to them. So they keep coming here to earn money.. Last concert, they've promised to come back with a new album in October or November, but they didn't, now they are coming in May. But I guess I am not going this time because it started to get boring =( The same songs, the same audience, the same playlist...

A new album would be great for Anathema's music career..

definitely sucks! i always thought anathema was one of the more popular bands in their genres (both the doom-metal stuff, and the cleaning singing metal stuff they're doing now)

Here's the deal: Danny said that he had lots of offers from labels, the problem is those labels were pretty small, and they didn't meet Anathema's desires. They need a record that puts some effort in promoting them, and arrange a tour around the world, that kind of stuff. The labels that offered a deal were about the size of Peaceville, and that's no step forward.

I can understand where Danny is coming from regarding labels and wanting more promotion. The HIM tour should help

Must be frustrating though as a musician

gone said:
I'm not surprised what with the dreck they've been releasing of late.

there are some excellent songs on both a fine day to exit (pressure, release) and a natural disaster (a natural disaster, flying, electricity). as a whole a natural disaster is more coherent and there is less filler. the overall mood of these two albums is different from the mood in eternity and alternative 4. the older albums are a good deal more depressing. anathema is at their best in doing that. i hope the next album moves more towards the sound of alternative 4.

the lyrics and the female vocals on a natural disaster are just too good. and i think vincent puts more emotion into the vocals in flying and electricity than elsewhere on the album. when i first listened to the album i was really disappointed and stopped playing by the time i got to half of childhood dream. when i played the whole album later i realized that i liked the second half much better than the first. :)

derbeder said:
there are some excellent songs on both a fine day to exit (pressure, release) and a natural disaster (a natural disaster, flying, electricity).

Anathema stopped being interesting halfway through A Fine Day To Exit, and A Natural Disaster is a total borefest, with the exception of the title track (which sounds like a lost Antimatter song, anyway).