New Angra

Yeah, I got it last night and after a couple of spins, I can say this album KICKS ASS!

:headbang: :kickass: :hotjump: :worship: :headbang:

Braxil said:
Can those of you who enjoyed this disc please explain how/why? I'm completely baffled.

1. Top notch guitar work as usual. These guys never get any of the respect for their chops.

2. Great vocals by Edu again. He is really settling into his own style with each album.

3. Catchy and speedy power metal anthems that would make any Helloween fanboy blush.

4. Cool change in lyrical themes. They deal with these topics in a mature fashion as opposed to the the angst/emo/metalcore crappy way.

5. Different album than the last which shows these guys never make the exact same album twice. They change it up but still have that Angra sound.

I can say that these guys may be the best power metal band in the world besides Blind Guardian. :cool:

Iced Ray said:
I can say that these guys may be the best power metal band in the world besides Blind Guardian. :cool:

I enjoy Angra quite a bit and actually own their first five studio albums but the samples I've heard from Aurora Consurgens left me feeling quite uninterested. I still haven't been able to get into Blind Guardian's new album to any great extent either.

As far as I'm concerned the new Persuader, Manticora and Rage releases have been the most enjoyable power metal discs released this year. I may need to go back and have a closer listen to both the Angra and Blind Guardian discs at some point in the future, but I'm not terribly interested in either at this point.

Iced Ray said:
1. Top notch guitar work as usual. These guys never get any of the respect for their chops.

Thank you. Some people's stupidity (or lack of musical knowledge) still make some say that Kiko and Rafael are just average. And I'm not saying this cause I'm an Angra fan. They are just superb musicians.

Iced Ray said:
2. Great vocals by Edu again. He is really settling into his own style with each album.

This time he relies more on his mid range, which is his best.

Iced Ray said:
3. Catchy and speedy power metal anthems that would make any Helloween fanboy blush.

Who the hell is Helloween nowadays, anyways? Not to mention Angra is more of a Progressive Power Metal band and not only Power Metal.

Iced Ray said:
4. Cool change in lyrical themes. They deal with these topics in a mature fashion as opposed to the the angst/emo/metalcore crappy way.

Angra has always done that, and their lyrics have always showed a very mature, meaningful and intelligent point of view. Not that I share them 100%, but the way their lyrics are written put lots of bands to shame.

Iced Ray said:
5. Different album than the last which shows these guys never make the exact same album twice. They change it up but still have that Angra sound.

Agreed 500%.

Iced Ray said:
I can say that these guys may be the best power metal band in the world besides Blind Guardian.

Thank you. Blind Guardian comes in second. And the good thing about Angra is that they're not just a Power metal band. Just like Blind Guardian and Symphony X.

Burnout said:
I enjoy Angra quite a bit and actually own their first five studio albums but the samples I've heard from Aurora Consurgens left me feeling quite uninterested. I still haven't been able to get into Blind Guardian's new album to any great extent either.

As far as I'm concerned the new Persuader, Manticora and Rage releases have been the most enjoyable power metal discs released this year. I may need to go back and have a closer listen to both the Angra and Blind Guardian discs at some point in the future, but I'm not terribly interested in either at this point.

A Twist in the Myth is my album of the year. :headbang:

Iced Ray said:

Well said!

Iced Ray said:

Thanks for your reply.

1. The band are all virtuoso players, I won't argue there, Kiko and Rafael are one of my favorite guitar teams.

2. Edu is not one of my favorite singers, but this isn't the reason I didn't enjoy the album either.

3. This is where I disagree. I find the songs on this album extremely forgettable. Some of them (The Course of Nature, Passing By) are somewhat enjoyable while they're going on, but leave no lasting impression on me. On all previous Angra releases there was at least one song that stuck with me right off the bat, and I have tried several times to find such a song on this album.

4. Agreed

5. It is nice that they're mixing it up, but they are by no means in the same league of keeping things fresh as Blind Guardian is.

Braxil said:
Thanks for your reply.

1. The band are all virtuoso players, I won't argue there, Kiko and Rafael are one of my favorite guitar teams.

2. Edu is not one of my favorite singers, but this isn't the reason I didn't enjoy the album either.

3. This is where I disagree. I find the songs on this album extremely forgettable. Some of them (The Course of Nature, Passing By) are somewhat enjoyable while they're going on, but leave no lasting impression on me. On all previous Angra releases there was at least one song that stuck with me right off the bat, and I have tried several times to find such a song on this album.

4. Agreed

5. It is nice that they're mixing it up, but they are by no means in the same league of keeping things fresh as Blind Guardian is.

Agreed on all counts. I've listened to this album twice through so far, and can find no reason to listen to it again...it is just instantly forgettable. Definitely a disappointment. I'll catch them when they tour here with BG next February and maybe the new material will come off better live, but for now...meh.

Braxil said:

I guess we disagree then because I find a bunch of songs very memorable and not just because they are catchy but also because of some memorable musical sections. After a few spins, I keep hearing these songs in my head:

The Course of Nature
Voice Commanding You
Breaking Ties
Ego Painted Grey
Passing By
Scream Your Heart Out

The best compliment I can give this band IMO is that while I am a big Dream Theater fan, Angra does what I sometimes want DT to do - keep the prog metal and concise. Its proggy but its still song oriented and not just pure wankery and it retains the heaviness. Its perfect power/prog metal. :cool:

Braxil said:
So how do you fear this ranks compared to Angra's back-catalogue? Just out of curiousity.

Too early to tell but I can say this:

Its definately not in the same league as Angels Cry, Rebirth, and Temple of Shadows so AT BEST I could rank it fourth.