New Borknagar and Mr. V

ErikSL

groove junkie
Feb 11, 2006
I just wanted to post this thread as a reason to discuss Mr. V's latest efforts with Borknagar.

After giving the disc more then enough spins, some of the vocal work is astounding. Not perfect, but wow...this record is filled with great vocal work. His range has increased yet again it seems, though sometimes strained but hell at least he makes it work. Overdubs, catchy melodies, refreshing lyrics, and excellent phrasing. Good Job!

Mr V on Universal sounds fine, for the most part. The vocal lines are melodically talking catchy and well composed. There are a couple of things that I didn't like too much (like on Abrasion Tide), but his overall performance is good. His grims have improved a lot lately.

I would love to hear Mr V singing like he did on Cosmic Genesis tho, even Empiricism. I think that style suits better the music on Universal.

@Elvina: There was a time when we were not allowed to give our honest opinions? If you're talking about the Universal - Comments thread, it started in the worst way possible and it was obvious that the aforementioned thread would bring only shitstorms.

I would love to hear Mr V singing like he did on Cosmic Genesis tho, even Empiricism. I think that style suits better the music on Universal.
completely agreed.

@Elvina: There was a time when we were not allowed to give our honest opinions? If you're talking about the Universal - Comments thread, it started in the worst way possible and it was obvious that the aforementioned thread would bring only shitstorms.
it was made clear that the minority unpopular opinions like mine are not appreciated and i should basically shut the fuck up. When wishing Vortex/Garm to sing for Borknagar is already considered an insult, then no i don't think this is fair treatment.

Anyway, after much listening effort, i did my best to write a constructive and quite lengthy review of Universal. If anybody's interested, you can read the uncensored version HERE. I would appreciate not to post hate reactions here, but rather in the comments on the page.

Just read it... I agree with the synthetic sounding of the vocals, for me it counts for both mr. V and Vortex. I think they did a great job but it is the mixing and production of the album which makes it sounding too sterile for my taste.

I really like the vocal lines on 'For A Thousand Years To Come' in the beginning. The first time I listened that song was at night at seaside with a MP3 player. It really gave me a good feeling. :)

Actually Elvina, I have loads of negative thoughts on Universal. I posted this thread to discuss Mr. V's work on the album, because this is a Vintersorg forum. Most of his vocals on the album are excellent, despite his newer style. But I'd rather just talk about the good and not the bad. I also think Vortex's performance is one of the highest points on the album, my domain is amazing. My conclusion on Universal is that its a mixed bag. Some elements are so superior, and some are completely inferior to other bands in the genre.

@Allfader. I really do miss V's older style. My favorite albums, as far as vocals, are cosmic genesis, empiricism, visions, and epic

@Winfvang, I like your music. Good work! I just bought a copy of Faelwa on itunes, too. Good Job!

well i feel a little better now that i've let my disappointment and frustration out in that review, i'll try not to say negative things anymore :p
now i'm really looking forward to the new Vintersorg album and keeping my fingers crossed the vocals on it will sound more in the way of CG, or Visions, or Solens Rötter. At least not entirely like on Universal, hopefully!

Totally agreed with your review elvina....universal is the worst borknagar cd....i dont trust to much in artist word nowdays........you know..."universal" will be a back to the roots....darker than ever..blablabla...

Months of high expectations.....lots of good words...for nothing..and i know a lot of people has the same opinion as elvina and me..

I dont know how vintersorg sing in this " astral,,experimental...no sense" manner....i love his vocals on cosmic genesis....empiricism...sounds so majestic!!..

i cancel my preorder on universal...did not like it at all..

Totally agreed with your review elvina....universal is the worst borknagar cd....i dont trust to much in artist word nowdays........you know..."universal" will be a back to the roots....darker than ever..blablabla...

Months of high expectations.....lots of good words...for nothing..and i know a lot of people has the same opinion as elvina and me..

I dont know how vintersorg sing in this " astral,,experimental...no sense" manner....i love his vocals on cosmic genesis....empiricism...sounds so majestic!!..

i cancel my preorder on universal...did not like it at all..

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion. I won't go into defending our vision and outcome of the album. Still; I think that this album needs a lot of spinns until it reveals itself to the listener. About the vocals I feel a bit concerned when people like the vocals on some tracks but toatally dislike it on others. But maybe it's just me? I think that the vocals are consistent throughout the album.

mr V

About the vocals I feel a bit concerned when people like the vocals on some tracks but toatally dislike it on others. But maybe it's just me? I think that the vocals are consistent throughout the album.

mr V
they are. Except Loci. That one has a bit more "old" style (dunno how to call it otherwise) kind of singing, and therefore much more appealing to me personally. Also, On the Stir of Seasons your "new" singing style seems maybe a bit more emphasized than on the other tracks.

I´m not saying that vintersorg has a shitty voice..not at all!!..i love vintersorg albums..and empiricims is my fave borknagar with vinterorg on vocals.

just listen to the chorus of this song..skip to 1.10 minute more or less..and you all know what i mean...such majestic voice!!!..it sounds "serious"...solemn dont know how to explain.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHv71oYHAY&feature=related[/ame]

thats the vocal style that fits well with borknagar music!.

On universal cd..i´m complaining about some clean vocals...just listen to "reason" when song reaches 42 seconds, vintersorg end the chorus with some "ahhhh woww...waw"..that does not fit borkagar at all..

No complain about raw vocals..the clean vocals has some "melodramatic and astral" vibe that has nothing to do with borknagar..ok borknagar has some progresive elements..but for me borknagar it´s all about epic..( i don´t mean guys wearing swords and dragons..and stuff)..nature..and solemn feelings.

right now i´m listening to the stir of seasons..and at 1,34 minute..the clean vocals again with that vibe of experimental sounds..." ahhh wooo..waw"

I´m saying all of this with respect to vintersorg..and borknagar guys..

it was made clear that the minority unpopular opinions like mine are not appreciated and i should basically shut the fuck up. When wishing Vortex/Garm to sing for Borknagar is already considered an insult, then no i don't think this is fair treatment.

Take a cue from me. If someone doesn't like what I say, whatever. If a band member doesn't like your opinion, whatever. If you said it in a civilized way and they still got testy, don't post in their forum. I don't think Mr.V has ever reacted that way in this forum, so just speak your mind.

If someone still gives you shit, just give them the middle finger. ;) Say what you want. Who cares if internet fanboys get mad!

I´m not saying that vintersorg has a shitty voice..not at all!!..i love vintersorg albums..and empiricims is my fave borknagar with vinterorg on vocals.

just listen to the chorus of this song..skip to 1.10 minute more or less..and you all know what i mean...such majestic voice!!!..it sounds "serious"...solemn dont know how to explain.

(the black canvas) thats the vocal style that fits well with borknagar music!.

On universal cd..i´m complaining about some clean vocals...just listen to "reason" when song reaches 42 seconds, vintersorg end the chorus with some "ahhhh woww...waw"..that does not fit borkagar at all..

No complain about raw vocals..the clean vocals has some "melodramatic and astral" vibe that has nothing to do with borknagar..ok borknagar has some progresive elements..but for me borknagar it´s all about epic..( i don´t mean guys wearing swords and dragons..and stuff)..nature..and solemn feelings.

right now i´m listening to the stir of seasons..and at 1,34 minute..the clean vocals again with that vibe of experimental sounds..." ahhh wooo..waw"

I´m saying all of this with respect to vintersorg..and borknagar guys..

I've heard universal like 40 times. I really like it. I'm agree with Mr V on the grower effect of it (I said it some days ago anyway). Musically I like it over Epic and Quintessence and it's so great for me as Empiricism. For a Thousand Years to Come seems to be the best clean performance by Mr V on the album, Reason has very good moments and the 'bridge' of Havoc is insanely catchy. Worldwide is great too ('...the master and the apprentice' phrasing is struck on my head).

Empiricism and Visions has a very distinctive vocal style. Sounds really epic, like Inherit the Earth (the 'past, present and future' singing still give me chills) or Gods of My World. Those vocals have (for me) a cold vibe, something created on icy lands...I dunno how to say it.. Nordic feel? maybe that word can help.

When Cosmic Genesis was released, some months after I heard it. I was extremely impressed with Mr V's vocals. when ICS Vortex left Borknagar and Vintersorg joined, I thought 'with this new style he can do it'. Until today, when I hear Algol, I feel the same as the first time (like on 'and your glare becomes pallid and dull). If Mr V feels well with this new 'more melodic, less epic' style and the band likes it too, it's just done and we have to live with it. As I said before, I still think Mr V did a fine job, just that I can't forget how majestic was his voice once and Universal musically is really epic IMO.

Take a cue from me. If someone doesn't like what I say, whatever. If a band member doesn't like your opinion, whatever. If you said it in a civilized way and they still got testy, don't post in their forum. I don't think Mr.V has ever reacted that way in this forum, so just speak your mind.

If someone still gives you shit, just give them the middle finger. ;) Say what you want. Who cares if internet fanboys get mad!
thank you, i needed that reminder! seriously, i keep telling myself the same, but i'm a girl, you know, i'm not always so tough as i try to look/be, sometimes it just makes you feel bad... i haven't visited Borky's forum since. I don't think i have said something insulting about Mr.V or the band, even if it is so, it wasn't my intention. I don't think he was so insulted as some of the fanboys... Even if he was, he should know that even if we (like jamj1974 and i, and maybe somebody else) say something very negative/critical about his performance, we do it because we love what he does and want it to be even better! :) i think/hope he understands that. He also absolutely doesn't need to defend himself or Borknagar, but it's great that he let us know he's still out there :p

Yeah the first time i hear cosmic genesis it was mind blowing,i did not know vintersor at that time..and the first thimg i thought was......" what the fuck is this guy with such an amazing voice"

and the same goes for empiricims, i´m not saying borknagar should back to the first album and stuff..but empiricism vocal style fits this new era for borkanar better than on universal.

No complain about music..the bass player sounds amazing,guitars,drums,..but this new clean vocals.......................

everytime i hear gods of my world send shivers down my spine....

Perfect vocal style that fits borkanagar in full!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi2ttjf5Y6k&feature=related[/ame]

thank you, i needed that reminder! seriously, i keep telling myself the same, but i'm a girl, you know, i'm not always so tough as i try to look/be, sometimes it just makes you feel bad... i haven't visited Borky's forum since. I don't think i have said something insulting about Mr.V or the band, even if it is so, it wasn't my intention. I don't think he was so insulted as some of the fanboys... Even if he was, he should know that even if we (like jamj1974 and i, and maybe somebody else) say something very negative/critical about his performance, we do it because we love what he does and want it to be even better! :) i think/hope he understands that. He also absolutely doesn't need to defend himself or Borknagar, but it's great that he let us know he's still out there :p

Wait, what the hell did I miss?

Wait, what the hell did I miss?

Nothing, I really like talking about the album from many perspectives and welcome different opinions as long as it's contructive and "sane". As I feel that your comment was all about.

mr V

Hi! No insult taken:) I'm glad that you say what you feel and try to discuss stuff, it's the major reason for this forum. Talk about music/lyrics and related topics.

mr V