New Borknagar and Mr. V

Personally I love the ways Mr V sounds in Universal. It sounds more massive now, and very catchy as well. If I have to recall something that I don't like about the vocals, it may be that he sounds a bit too high sometimes. But still I love it overall.

The problems I found in most reviews is that people expect him to sound like Vortex or Garm. People always want the same shit, I think they're not made for new stuff. So I personally think this is a good way for both Borknagar and Mr V.

By the way, vocals on "The Stir of Seasons" are top notch for me.

Having heard "Universal" like 6-7 times now I kinda feel that some of the songs lacks structure. I really enjoy Vintersorg's vocals though and as many others have said, it is probably a record that will continue to grow

Personally I love the ways Mr V sounds in Universal. It sounds more massive now, and very catchy as well. If I have to recall something that I don't like about the vocals, it may be that he sounds a bit too high sometimes. But still I love it overall.

The problems I found in most reviews is that people expect him to sound like Vortex or Garm. People always want the same shit, I think they're not made for new stuff. So I personally think this is a good way for both Borknagar and Mr V.

By the way, vocals on "The Stir of Seasons" are top notch for me.

The only time that I *don't* like Mr. V's voice on Borknagar stuff is when I feel like he's trying to sound a little bit more like Garm or Simen. But yeah, I think he sounds good. Just compressed.

i, for one, don't. I am quite a fangirl of all three (Garm, Vortex and Mr.V). That is the beauty of Borknagar: the only band where they all were in, at some point, even if not together at the same time (hint hint :saint:)!! that's fckin marvellous!! :worship:notworthy:worship: I love Epic & Empiricism almost as much as i love TAC & Q; if i have to name the least fav. of all of Borknagar releases (excluding Universal), that would probably be those with Garm... And that only because i haven't listen to those nearly as much as the albums with Vortex and Mr.V.

It's just after Universal, i became convinced that Vortex fits Borknagar music a bit better than Mr.V does with this new singing style. (sorry Andreas! :oops:) But of course, the band should know better ;) I will be extremely happy to see them live again, it must be the only possibility to see Mr.V live these days...

/me thinks it's about time Borknagar has posted some live tour dates for this year... :rolleyes:

I'm not too much into Vintersorgs recent participations singing-wise (like Solens Rötter, which simply doesnt make it for me - it's some kind of "neither Fisch nor Fleisch" as we say here in german). But Universal changed it all around for me, although his vocalstyle didn't change too much as I think. I read somewhere of "knödelstyle" which means "dumplingstyle" maybe haha... and I guess that fits it pretty well. I don't like that too much, but Vocals on Universal are simply excellent.

I'm one of the few who thinks that Epic is a much better album than Empiricism, which I consider to be a bit erm, boring? Some songs are a bit too slow and some kind of dreamy... vocalwise I'm a big fan of Vortex, "My Domain" is a very good song, but his voice is way too polished and sterile on that track. It's of high interest to me, why the Borkies wanted to be it this way.

Anyway, blah blah - excellent job on Universal Mr. V! But I'd love to hear some day a fusion of your "old" and "new singing" in the same track maybe. Would be an odd combination :D

I think it's really hard to mix properly all elements involved on Borknagar. Since Empiricism the band developed a very complex style and songwriting and their sound changed a lot (they started with Toproom studio on that point too). Sometimes I think about their first albums where the sound quality was not the best, but it worked, specially on the atmosphere. I dunno if I'm too old or what, but the uberpolished sound developed these last years - this last decade in fact - is not of my liking (I talk about the entire metal community). EX: Quintessence is usually criticized by the production, but seems to be that most people thinks it's one of the Borknagar's best. When I hear Epic, I try to imagine how brutal it could sound if it had the same prod as S/T or Q.

I would love a new Borknagar recording done at other more 'extreme' studios again like Grieghallen or The Abyss, emphatizing more the 'metal' sound and trying to sound more organic/less polished.

I think it's really hard to mix properly all elements involved on Borknagar. Since Empiricism the band developed a very complex style and songwriting and their sound changed a lot (they started with Toproom studio on that point too). Sometimes I think about their first albums where the sound quality was not the best, but it worked, specially on the atmosphere. I dunno if I'm too old or what, but the uberpolished sound developed these last years - this last decade in fact - is not of my liking (I talk about the entire metal community). EX: Quintessence is usually criticized by the production, but seems to be that most people thinks it's one of the Borknagar's best. When I hear Epic, I try to imagine how brutal it could sound if it had the same prod as S/T or Q.

I would love a new Borknagar recording done at other more 'extreme' studios again like Grieghallen or The Abyss, emphatizing more the 'metal' sound and trying to sound more organic/less polished.
you should post this at Borky forum, it's a very valid comment many would agree with, i think.

I did like the production of the new album. The thing is that Quintessence sounds great because of its production, and the latter is like that because the album is much more black than current Bork. Hence, I don't think the production should change, since Bork is far from a black metal band nowadays. They're prog, so even if the production can improve, it shouldn't be 'old school', since old school would be black Bork.

COULD NOT BE MORE AGREED WTH YOU!!....i stop buying most of new records due to steril polished producionts..it lacks of "soul" and atmosphere.It´s so easy nowadays to record a bunch of shitty riffs of a expensive modern studio and to release an album with " good" sound, and sign a deal with nuclear blast, or century media.

Maybe i am too old now..this days i´m mostly buyind demos from bands that has been re-released on cd and sounds truly great!!

I love griedhallen sound..or abyss sound, don´t get me wrong i´m not saying borkanagar should sound like a demo band or something like that..but epic or universal sounds with a massive abyss studio production,would have been massive!!

The production on Quintessence is only a little bit worse than it could be. As far as I'm concerned that record is pretty well produced. I mean, production has come a long way in this modern era, right? It's so easy to produce with ProTools that guys recording in their basements are producing studio quality material. The issue is that there are other trends going on in metal that are ruining the production on so many records.

I like the sort of early 2000s production before the serious compression and shit drum stuff started. Also, this obsession with tightness to the point where it begins to lack heaviness drives me nuts. Though, that's not the issue with the new Borknagar. The issue with Universal is that everything is so loud that it's difficult to make out what's going on—this creates the issue with the mix.

But I think that the songwriting is different as well. The record is far less traditional than a record like Quintessence or even Empiricism, which I think are pretty straight. The band has continued walking the Path o' Prog, and by driving into this novel territory, they also have the issue of how to produce it well.

But Borknagar is definitely not the only band that I have production issues with these days. So many bands have just shitty sounding drums because they're being pushed into the treble range to try to differentiate them from the bass and guitars because the bass and guitars are too effing loud. So despite the fact that a bass drum should naturally be way louder than guitars, and nice and thick.. it comes off as being a tiny click. Sometimes this is triggers, but often times it's just the natural outcome of these trends. Metal is getting more and more of this, and people are stealing from Metalcore production, too. Actually, interestingly enough, Trevor from The Black Dahlia Murder had some interesting things to say about this when I interviewed him—basically that he thought that metal as a whole had been ripping off the metalcore production sound, despite hating the music.. :lol:

Anyway, long and short of it is that Universal suffers from a production problem. It's sad, because with a clearer, simpler production (even though raw), Universal would have sounded more powerful. I mean, the new Sigh for example, has what many are calling very *bad* production. But one is never at a loss for what's going on there, and it is highly effective.

Some bands know how to deliver quality metal albums with a solid production, Old Man's Child for instance. Listening to his newer cd's with a good headphone through my amplifier is truly a great experience, even though I'm not into that kind of style.
666 International by Dodheimsgard is another great example, and that one was released over 10 years ago.

Anyway, long and short of it is that Universal suffers from a production problem. It's sad, because with a clearer, simpler production (even though raw), Universal would have sounded more powerful.

That's what I think, but I also think the prod on Universal is better than Epic and Empiricism. Why not to use the TAC production instead? I like how it sounds, clear and raw enough.

I think that Andreas' voice has improved a lot! On past albums (Spiral Generator is a good example) where he has tried to expand his vocal range it sounded forced...as if he had a hard time reaching certain ranges in his vocals. On Universal, he sounds like he is now more comfortable with his expanded range and it flows flawlessly! I listened to Universal completely and without ANY distraction last night. I must say this is Andreas' best vocal performance to date. Some people want the old style baritone vocals from Andreas....I think that is the past. I'm happy with the way Universal sounds and am now eagerly awaiting a new Vintersorg album!

Some people want the old style baritone vocals from Andreas....I think that is the past.
only Andreas can know that :p you might just be surprised how he's going to sing on the new Vintersorg album ;)
i wish we got some more video/sound bites of his studio recordings... :cry: would help us through the long tough wait...

I will have to admit while listening to Universal for the first few times, I was a little disappointed with the overall outcome of it. But, as Mr. V said, give it a few spins and you will see where all the magic is. I am now fully addicted to this album. This could quite possibly be one of the best Borknagar, and best albums ever; for me anyway. I play it everywhere I go (work, gym, sleep, etc.) and I discover something exciting and memorable about it every time. It is quite a relief from all the smut that has been released lately by other bands and is well appreciated over on my end. Mr. V's vocal arrangements on Loci is nothing short of epic and re-enforced the reason why I love Borknagar, Vintersorg, and music in it's entirety. This is what it's all about, everyone. Music is life.

I will have to admit while listening to Universal for the first few times, I was a little disappointed with the overall outcome of it. But, as Mr. V said, give it a few spins and you will see where all the magic is. I am now fully addicted to this album. This could quite possibly be one of the best Borknagar, and best albums ever; for me anyway. I play it everywhere I go (work, gym, sleep, etc.) and I discover something exciting and memorable about it every time. It is quite a relief from all the smut that has been released lately by other bands and is well appreciated over on my end. Mr. V's vocal arrangements on Loci is nothing short of epic and re-enforced the reason why I love Borknagar, Vintersorg, and music in it's entirety. This is what it's all about, everyone. Music is life.

I had the same experience. But when compared to the songwriting and arrangements of Epic or Empiricism, Universal misses the mark. As far as everything else goes, Universal is a colossal album filled with all kinds of goodies...everything the band described it as.