Pain Parade - First impressions

ErikSL

groove junkie
Feb 11, 2006
I got the album in the mail yesterday, express delivery from UPS.

Wow. This album is leaps and bounds ahead of Crater. I am very impressed. Excellent riffs, leads, arrangements, vocals, lyrics, loops, melodies, harmonies. Its not perfect, but its pretty damn good.

Theirs only a few things I dislike about Pain Parade.

First off, its a bit short...I wanted more!!!
Second, I felt the vocal overdubs were just to much and overpowered everything during some songs. I know those overdubbed harmonies are Mr. V's specialty, but I think they were mixed in to loud. Thats really it, like I said this album is really fucking good.

The production is damn near perfect (aside from the slightly loud clean vocal harmonies like mentioned). I love the drum sound, benny sounds amazing. His drumming has become very recognizable. The guitars sound excellent along with all the other instruments.

The best thing about this album, is that theirs a few slow parts that are just really beautiful and moving. Theirs some really excellent acoustic guitar parts mixed in with stringed instruments and loops. Tons of great melodies. I think this is also Mr. V's best growling harsh vocal record. It feels like he's spewing a box of nails and violent explosions into your chest.

My favorite track is Collision and Collapse. It clocks in at nearly 8 minutes. A very progressive song, all kinds of changes. Simply put, this song is amazing. I love it.

So, if you haven't bought this yet, buy it. To Mr. V and Benny, Pain Parade is worth the wait, thank you so much. Excellent work. I'll be spinning this one for quite awhile.

Hey Vamp, I'm assuming you're a bit tired of all these Fission threads - right? :p

Anyway, gonna download this first, but I'm sure I'll eventually end up buying it, just like I did with Crater. I still don't like very much what Crater was all about - "Eremiten" is of course great and the title track works, but that's pretty much it. Hopefully, I will enjoy Pain Parade more.

I know theirs other threads. But this is my review of what I think so far. I hope it gives people a good idea and hopefully gets them to buy the album, its very very good prog thrash metal. I also like to post impressions and discuss things with mr. v

I know theirs other threads. But this is my review of what I think so far. I hope it gives people a good idea and hopefully gets them to buy the album, its very very good prog thrash metal. I also like to post impressions and discuss things with mr. v

It's such an odd thing to do; talking about Vintersorg, and to Vintersorg, on a Vintersorg forum. :loco:

It is odd. I never thought I would do such a thing. :heh:

Does anyone have it yet?

Waiting on Cronian from Dis-order. Ordered almost two weeks ago.

Waiting on Fission from cdbaby. Ordered a week ago.

The anticipation is to much :cool:

I haven't a chance to buy the actual copy as of yet, but once I can find the time, I am going to order it straight away!
I did download a copy yesterday, like half of it(just to get a taste to sample). What I've heard, it is amazing!
Fission and Cronian really aren't my cup of tea, that style of music, but you know... when Mr. V does it, for some reason I find it utterly amazing and he does it well.
I really don't have any problems with it, not even the vocal bits like you said, Erik. For the most part, I can see Pain Parade being a big-seller.
True, these two projects are my least favorites of the V-collection, but I like them.
Crater was a better album though. Of course, this may be because Pain Parade is still soo new, takes time for me to see and appriciate everything. Same with "Imaginative", it was soo diffrent and strange compared to "The Astral Factor" - but now, I love it.

I'm still waiting for a new Havayoth album! Hehe. "His creation Reversed" is great track after great track - I hope there is a sequal or whatever you say.

Svarthjärtad;7847401 said:
I haven't a chance to buy the actual copy as of yet, but once I can find the time, I am going to order it straight away!
I did download a copy yesterday, like half of it(just to get a taste to sample). What I've heard, it is amazing!
Fission and Cronian really aren't my cup of tea, that style of music, but you know... when Mr. V does it, for some reason I find it utterly amazing and he does it well.
I really don't have any problems with it, not even the vocal bits like you said, Erik. For the most part, I can see Pain Parade being a big-seller.
True, these two projects are my least favorites of the V-collection, but I like them.
Crater was a better album though. Of course, this may be because Pain Parade is still soo new, takes time for me to see and appriciate everything. Same with "Imaginative", it was soo diffrent and strange compared to "The Astral Factor" - but now, I love it.

I'm still waiting for a new Havayoth album! Hehe. "His creation Reversed" is great track after great track - I hope there is a sequal or whatever you say.

Yea, give it a few listens. I do however like some of the vocal melodies better on crater, but pain parade is, as a whole, an improvement.

I got the album in the mail yesterday, express delivery from UPS.

Wow. This album is leaps and bounds ahead of Crater. I am very impressed. Excellent riffs, leads, arrangements, vocals, lyrics, loops, melodies, harmonies. Its not perfect, but its pretty damn good.

Theirs only a few things I dislike about Pain Parade.

First off, its a bit short...I wanted more!!!
Second, I felt the vocal overdubs were just to much and overpowered everything during some songs. I know those overdubbed harmonies are Mr. V's specialty, but I think they were mixed in to loud. Thats really it, like I said this album is really fucking good.

The production is damn near perfect (aside from the slightly loud clean vocal harmonies like mentioned). I love the drum sound, benny sounds amazing. His drumming has become very recognizable. The guitars sound excellent along with all the other instruments.

The best thing about this album, is that theirs a few slow parts that are just really beautiful and moving. Theirs some really excellent acoustic guitar parts mixed in with stringed instruments and loops. Tons of great melodies. I think this is also Mr. V's best growling harsh vocal record. It feels like he's spewing a box of nails and violent explosions into your chest.

My favorite track is Collision and Collapse. It clocks in at nearly 8 minutes. A very progressive song, all kinds of changes. Simply put, this song is amazing. I love it.

So, if you haven't bought this yet, buy it. To Mr. V and Benny, Pain Parade is worth the wait, thank you so much. Excellent work. I'll be spinning this one for quite awhile.

Ok, I obviously had to come back to this topic as I got the cd a little over a week ago. I have since been spinning the album whenever and whereever possible, shouting "planetery chaos!" every now and then :D and I'm with you there Erik that "Pain Parade" is better than "Crater".
Of course it's still fresh and thus appears more exciting but still...the test of time will surely give the same result.

I agree with almost everything you said (we're even sharing the same favourite song) - except for the vocal harmonies. Too many, too loud, so what? ;) I have no worries there. No idea how and where Andreas gets all these melodies and harmonies from but I hope that source won't stop for a long time :)

Quite annoying there doesn't seem to be any another option to obtain the album than through ordering from cdbaby. It all went smooth though, so I can only encourage everybody to do the same. *hint*

i've tried to order both the new cronian and fission at a shop in my town...
really it's not a cd shop, but this is a long story :lol:.... the owner of the shop is also the owner and founder of a big italian metal magazine...
he works also as mailorder, i hope he can find something...i'm quite impatient :oops:

dear frenzy was uploaded on fission myspace!!!! yeahhhh!!!!
i'm listening to the album drop after drop :lol:

dear frenzy was uploaded on fission myspace!!!! yeahhhh!!!!
i'm listening to the album drop after drop :lol:

Cool that you like it... I also listen to the album again..it was more that a year since we finnished it so it's nice to pick up on it again.

mr V

Cool that you like it... I also listen to the album again..it was more that a year since we finnished it so it's nice to pick up on it again.

mr V

it's a shame that i'm not able to find the album in italy...
the guy where i tried to order it said "out of official distribution", so why?
i'm freaking out trying and hoping to find it, and no credit card for buying it abroad :cry:

I also can't find it in the Netherlands
Normally here you can find albums by Vintersorg easily. 'Crater' I ordered at Displeased Records
Any Dutchman here who did order the new album somewhere?

seems like cdbaby is the only one to have the album....