New Borknagar and Mr. V

It's not about his old style vs. his new style, though. I LOVED his vocals on Solens Rotter, which only came out in 2007. That is, after Origin, The Astral Factor, and The Focusing Blur, all albums which I wasn't so big on, at least vocally. I thought his vocals on the new Fission were pretty good too. Which is also why I'm not whining "oh, Borknagar/Mr. V/the world is too different now and I hate it"- I'm confident there will be other releases in the future I'll like. I just don't like his singing so much on this one. Maybe I'll really like them on the next Vintersorg album. Maybe I won't, who knows? I'm not pining away for the glory days or whatever. I just didn't like this record as much as others, and in particular, the tone of the vocals.

That's the one. I was just talking about "latter-day" Vintersorg in general, as opposed to the early days of Otyg and the first few Vintersorg albums. I know lots of people who dream someday Andreas will resume singing simple folk melodies in his low, manly baritone, or that Borknagar will write a strictly black metal album again... to me it's like hoping an ex girlfriend will come back, when you've been dating somebody new for like ten years.

That's the one. I was just talking about "latter-day" Vintersorg in general, as opposed to the early days of Otyg and the first few Vintersorg albums. I know lots of people who dream someday Andreas will resume singing simple folk melodies in his low, manly baritone, or that Borknagar will write a strictly black metal album again... to me it's like hoping an ex girlfriend will come back, when you've been dating somebody new for like ten years.

Exactly.

+1 :kickass:

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion. I won't go into defending our vision and outcome of the album. Still; I think that this album needs a lot of spinns until it reveals itself to the listener. About the vocals I feel a bit concerned when people like the vocals on some tracks but toatally dislike it on others. But maybe it's just me? I think that the vocals are consistent throughout the album.

mr V

vintersorg was right...the album need tons of listenings...

After more than ten listening..i have changed my mind about my first listens of the album..it´s fucking great!!!!...the only thing i dislike is some clean vocals passages of vintersorg...i mean the " nasal" effect on his voice..

Apart from that the rest is just mind blowing..i did cancel my preorder,but right now i´m going to place another order...

It´s a fantastic cd...but it needs tons of listenings to get well into layers of music..

I don't want any of my ex-girlfriends to come back. They were all duds.

Same with the ex-boyfriends. :lol:

See? We're all friends again. :D

ahahahah :lol:

to be in conflict is part of relationships.
if we are not able to defend the thesis in which we believe we are just like zombies. :zombie:
the important thing is that even if we think differently we can get through this and be "friends" exactly as before the discussion :)

ahahahah :lol:

to be in conflict is part of relationships.
if we are not able to defend the thesis in which we believe we are just like zombies. :zombie:
the important thing is that even if we think differently we can get through this and be "friends" exactly as before the discussion :)

Who says we're still not friends? :( I'll kill the person who dares to utter such heinous sentence!

Who says we're still not friends? :( I'll kill the person who dares to utter such heinous sentence!

what are you referring to? to my quotation marks?
i use the word friend quite warily in life. there's a lot of people that i know in true life that i consider mainly acquaintances than friends.
the word friend has a great meaning to me....and true friends can be counted on one hand's fingers :)

what are you referring to? to my quotation marks?
i use the word friend quite warily in life. there's a lot of people that i know in true life that i consider mainly acquaintances than friends.
the word friend has a great meaning to me....and true friends can be counted on one hand's fingers :)

When we learn Spanish in the states they always teach us that the word "amigo" is more akin to "brother" than "friend". I think the same is vaguely true in Swedish as well. That the word "vän" is reserved for people you know very well, while words like "kompis" is more like "buddy" (i.e., someone I don't know well or divulge personal information to) or even "bekant" which is like "acquaintance" in English. I feel like the word friend in English isn't that loaded. You can have lots of friends but you only have a few close friends.

Sorry to derail this even further. But just a thought.

the word "amico" is abused in italian.
we say "amico" for each person we know and has about our same age.
the word has lost its real meaning to me. there's no difference anymorwe between what we can call real friends and acquaintances...it has a general meaning now...so i usually add the word "caro" (dear) to underline if the relationship is closer than usual...
it's used also if you don't know a person and you want to say something to him/her, just for catching his/her attention because you don't know which is his/her real name. for example if you are at the cinema and someone is standing in front of you and doesn't let you see the film you can say to him "hey amico, ti puoi spostare?" "hey friend, can you move from there please?"

The meaning of the words is given by ourselves. I don't call 'friend' anyone excepting whom I really feel like one. For most people, I just say hey! or I call them by their name. It's true that people abuses of the word, but who cares? friendship (and any kind of relationship) is made by facts and emotions, not by mere words.

just bought the album a few days ago and frankly i don't know what people are complaining about
It's a great album and there's nothing wrong with the way Mr V sounds.Imo it's not better than EPIC which happens to be my favorite Borknagar album but it's far better than empricism.

just my two cents i guess

Oh, I came late to discuss about the new album, haha, but good to know that everybody is friends with everybody again :)
I need to listen to the album more times to give my full opinion I guess, but by now, I like it :p
The only thing I don't like is the cover art :/ even if it contains planets & cool cosmic stuff (that I adore so much), I feel bad to look at it, it disgusts me but maybe it's just me, I have a kind of phobia for pores, craters & that stuff :erk:

just bought the album a few days ago and frankly i don't know what people are complaining about
It's a great album and there's nothing wrong with the way Mr V sounds.Imo it's not better than EPIC which happens to be my favorite Borknagar album but it's far better than empricism.

just my two cents i guess

haha that's funny, I think the same thing, but in reverse. I think it's not better than Empiricism, which is my favorite Borknagar album, but it's way better than Epic. =)

I don't know how much you have talk about this, as there are enough posts to read them all, but I will like to talk about Vintersorg's clean vocals in Universal. I like the nasal voices of the album but I wonder about the reason why Vintersorg has added them. I mean, why starting singing like that? Is the purpose to add a different way of singing? Is there any other reason?