New Cyhra Album 2018-2019

There was a time when we called people.making music like this Posers. Now they call it modern metal and everyone is ok with it.

I like Jake, but honestly NHIH was a very bland performance from him. Hardly any variety or changes to his vocal style. Song structures, riffs and drumming were also very pedestrian. It was a super safe pop-metal record which gave us nothing new. All of the guys in the band are capable of way better than this. Even Amaranthe has more interesting songs than the stuff on NHIH. The Nexus is more of a metal album than NHIH.

The band aren't going to go anywhere sounding like this - too boring. Next album needs to be a huge improvement.

I agree. And I also see this problem, that it is not an album to love or hate. Meaning that it doesn't raise any kind of passions (is raise right or should it be rise?)

It's just a forgettable album. Even for the people liking it, I don't think they will still be listening to it in the near future.

Raise is correct, and yeah, the album is just 'there'. It's very disappointing for a band to already sound so sterile after only two albums. Jake needs to get Euge and Jesper a lot more involved in the songwriting process next time around.

Reactions: eochaid
I feel bad for these guys. Remember when they wrote and even recorded the album and sat on it for a year before releasing? Now with COVID they didn’t even get a proper tour cycle in. Of course this is probably some of their own doing, shopping labels and such. However, wouldn’t be surprised if they were getting close to bankrupt. I hope they are working on Cyhra 3.

Yeah I think they got some touring in before COVID hit, but it'll be a while before they can go out on tour again. With Nuclear Blast in their corner they will probably be fine for the moment though. I hope they use this time to craft a much better third album.

And let go of the idea that songs should be written around the chorus.

Unfortunaely I think this is Jesper's vision as well. Even if you think back to old IF the chorus was always a huge part of many of the songs, especially after TJR.

What frustrates me about modern metal is how guitar leads/riffs/melodies are always put into specific sections - intro, bridge, solo or outro. Verses are almost always just boring chugging or simple chords with vocals expected to carry the melody. Part of the reason I loved older IF was because there were so many cool melodies in the verses, as well as other parts of the song. It's a bit of a lost art nowadays. Bjorn is really bad when it comes to this. If you listen to SC instrumental every decent guitar melody is either intro, chorus or solo/outro. The verses in every song are insanely boring instrumentally.

I think these guitarists think they “should” back off, be more democratic, and let the vocalists carry the song. That’s what pop music says anyway.

In reality, what sets songs apart is non-stop interesting music. Fans know that. But if the guitarists are getting lazy, old, they can fall back on the pop guidelines and contribute a few riffs and a few chords and that’s it and get away with it. Because it’s professional or something.

I guess so. Well anyway, here's a throwback to Eochaid's favourite song from No Halos in Hell because he just can't get enough of dancing to dat catchy chorus:

I wonder how they have come to that idea. People usually approached metal because of the guitar play, also the other instruments and vocals, of course.

But guitar play used to.make a difference.

Now, some bands are using guitars as a second rate instrument. Almost as if it's an annoying instrument that must be kept because of tradition.

For me, if I'm going to listen to works in which guitars have low to none influence, then I'd rather listen to some pop music since I also don't see any relevant instruments.

I just listened through NHIH for the first time in a long time (actually according to this thread I listened to it a month and a half ago, wtf, I don't even remember... maybe that says it all), and my opinion on it hasn't really changed. Some catchy pop-metal in there but nothing worth writing about. A lot of strange pseudo-power metal which is just boring. "Lost in Time" is like a shit version of "Inside a Lullaby" - worse vocal melodies, worse keyboard melodies, worse singing. Nice work, Mark Mangold. Jake's singing on this one is... not good. It sounds forced and there are no good melodies there at all. The chorus is OK but not enough to build the entire song around.

"I Am The One" is a strange song. Actually has a really good opening 30 seconds, then stupid electronics and boring verse, annoying Amaranthe-gone-wrong chorus. When the guitars are given a chance to shine on the track they sound really good, but the verses constantly derail the song's momentum.

Battles From Within, Bye Bye Forever, Dreams Gone Wrong, Hit Me, Man of Eternal Rain - listenable but nothing special. Everything else quite boring.

I also have to reiterate the lyrics on this album are embarrassingly bad.

Last edited:
I wonder how they have come to that idea. People usually approached metal because of the guitar play, also the other instruments and vocals, of course.

But guitar play used to.make a difference.

Now, some bands are using guitars as a second rate instrument. Almost as if it's an annoying instrument that must be kept because of tradition.

For me, if I'm going to listen to works in which guitars have low to none influence, then I'd rather listen to some pop music since I also don't see any relevant instruments.
Because U2, because Beatles, because <insert other lame but somehow respected pop band from the 60s-80s>. Because, you know, some studio in Berlin.

I just listened through NHIH for the first time in a long time (actually according to this thread I listened to it a month and a half ago, wtf, I don't even remember... maybe that says it all), and my opinion on it hasn't really changed. Some catchy pop-metal in there but nothing worth writing about. A lot of strange pseudo-power metal which is just boring. "Lost in Time" is like a shit version of "Inside a Lullaby" - worse vocal melodies, worse keyboard melodies, worse singing. Nice work, Mark Mangold. Jake's singing on this one is... not good. It sounds forced and there are no good melodies there at all. The chorus is OK but not enough to build the entire song around.

"I Am The One" is a strange song. Actually has a really good opening 30 seconds, then stupid electronics and boring verse, annoying Amaranthe-gone-wrong chorus. When the guitars are given a chance to shine on the track they sound really good, but the verses constantly derail the song's momentum.

Battles From Within, Bye Bye Forever, Dreams Gone Wrong, Hit Me, Man of Eternal Rain - listenable but nothing special. Everything else quite boring.

I also have to reiterate the lyrics on this album are embarrassingly bad.
Dreams Gone Wrong - good solid song
Man of Eternal Rain - more metal “spirit” than any other song
I am the One Acoustic - good instrumentation, good vocals

Forget everything else. Not worth listening. The intros give me blue balls and then I get mad. Not worth it.

Dreams Gone Wrong - good solid song
Man of Eternal Rain - more metal “spirit” than any other song
I am the One Acoustic - good instrumentation, good vocals

Forget everything else. Not worth listening. The intros give me blue balls and then I get mad. Not worth it.
Man of eternal rain is a song about Jesper

After a lot of time and relistens I am appreciating some of the other tracks a little more - particularly I Am The One, Bye Bye Forever, Hit Me and Lost in Time.

Man of Eternal Rain was one of my favourites from when I first heard the album, sounds closer to LtM than most of the other tracks. I was very surprised when I found out Jesper had no hand in that song at all.

Yeah you seem to be right. After reading the lyrics easily could be about him. Good solo in this song.
Jake told this in an interview. How he appreciates Jesper and that he wanted to write somehing about him. I'll check if I can find it.

Last edited: