New Dan interview in Metal-Rules.com

You guys realize that the Metal Rules interviewer is the same person as "kissfinland" who started this thread... by promoting his own interview...

kyseinen said:
You guys realize that the Metal Rules interviewer is the same person as "kissfinland" who started this thread... by promoting his own interview...

that guy is a complete and utter tosser then

ZeeZooZum said:
It cracks me up that Scott's concern with the interview is that the Dimebag was disrespected:OMG: :OMG: That was hardly the worst part of the interview.

Even funnier is that the interview almost sounds like one of the many Scott would give about Spitz years ago.......

Still, I think it may be time to break up or at least ask to borrow money from Metallica for Dr. Phill or whatever that dudes name was in Some Kind of Monster. Maybe in that case the band can make an album as good as St. Anger:Smug:

I am sure Scott was upset by more than that. But I think with Dime not being here to defend himself, it struck a nerve. Dime was a close friend of his. If some one belittled a friend of yours that had passed away, and at the same time said something bad about your preformance at work. What you comment on first?

Wow... Speechless. There are so many wrong comments in there, I can't pick one to begin with...

At any rate, I REALLY hope there was some kind of "mis-communication", but somehow I don't think the interviewer is making ALL of that shit up... That's a damn long interview and it does read like a Dan Spitz interview. Maybe some parts or words were "edited" but gee... I hope that's not really how Dan feels, 'cause I don't really want anything to do with a guy who speaks so much shit of his own bandmates.

And for the record John Bush is a very VERY talented singer indeed. Not that I should even try to defend him.

Parviainen said:
Why kissfinland would make up this kind of things?

Yeah, that's what I wonder as well.

I mean, to stir some shit up, sure, but I reckon he could lose his job over a stupid stunt like that...

Jacowboy said:
And for the record John Bush is a very VERY talented singer indeed. Not that I should even try to defend him.

I agree completely, but (if the interview is real)
, I don't think Dan meant John's a bad singer, it's just that he prefers Joey, his best friend in the band.

Metal-Rules.com Official Statement Regarding Recent Anthrax Interview

Since our interviewer and our whole webzine has been referred to as
“tabloid-esque journalism” with an interview that is “a compilation of
bullshit”, we felt we needed to make a statement about the interview that
was done with Anthrax guitarist Dan Spitz.

Many people that have been upset about the comments and excerpts that
Blabbermouth chose to highlight from the interview. Many who commented on
it seem to have not even read the actual interview in full and are simply
reacting to an attention grabbing headline.

Metal-Rules.com interviewer, Marko Syrjälä, says that: “the impression I
got while talking at length with Dan Spitz, was that he absolutely was not
bad-mouthing anybody, just being very honest, which is a rare thing these
days. In no way did anything he said come across to me as arrogant or
malicious. Understandably, that aspect may not have been so obvious in the
written form. I saw none of the comments as stabs at anyone personally.
People (some on purpose I'm sure) are reading way too much into things,
the overall tone of the whole interview was very positive and it was also
quite clear that Dan is really very pleased to be back playing with the
guys and is looking forward to making new music. I hope that clears up
some of the confusion.”

We would like to emphasize, however, that the interview did happen and
there was no fabrication whatsoever. This can be witnessed from the
recorded interview, which runs uninterrupted for almost an hour and a
half.

We hope this clears up any confusion and that we can put this drama behind
us. As Anthrax fans, we wish all the best for the band and for Dan and
hope that they will soon be releasing a new album that will kick our
collective asses!

Sincerely,
Metal-rules

After checking out the interview I can´t quite understand what the whole fuss is about - on one hand the band gets the shit for being vague and not saying anything, on the other Spitz is labelled an asshole if he speaks his mind. From what I recall of the interview he didn´t insult anyone of the other bandmembers, he just showed his view on the topics which were discussed (I think kissfinland wanted to say the same). He should have avoided the "true fan" term though.

That was one thing i got thought as well IF the article is true representation of spitz view's then fine he spoke his mind. As Schurl pointed out people have bad mouth anthrax as a whole for keeping stum then he comes out & speaks his mind you bad mouth him for it? I just dont get some people & besides not much was wrong with the interview anyway. The GOTE question is viable that could be his point of view, how would you like to record some of the best metal songs out then 20 years down the line a new line-up of members re-does them claiming them to be better? I wouldn't be too chuffed either.

thanks for the heads up on the Metal-Rules Statement. As I suspected, the interview IS indeed real and it was yet again a case of Spitz not being able to shut the f*ck up.

Jacowboy said:
thanks for the heads up on the Metal-Rules Statement. As I suspected, the interview IS indeed real and it was yet again a case of Spitz not being able to shut the f*ck up.

why should he if he did shut up as you put it, then ud be "for fuck sake they never tell us anything"

You cant have it both ways

Rise said:
That was one thing i got thought as well IF the article is true representation of spitz view's then fine he spoke his mind. As Schurl pointed out people have bad mouth anthrax as a whole for keeping stum then he comes out & speaks his mind you bad mouth him for it? I just dont get some people & besides not much was wrong with the interview anyway. The GOTE question is viable that could be his point of view, how would you like to record some of the best metal songs out then 20 years down the line a new line-up of members re-does them claiming them to be better? I wouldn't be too chuffed either.

Dude... This:

"You never liked him too much then?

A few things. One, I think we didn't try enough singers. Two, it was a preconceived notion of some people in this band that because he had turned Metallica down in the early days, he'd be the golden boy and he had the golden voice, and the direction that the music was going to in that time period, a lot of Seattle grunge just kinda ending and fizzling out, no one wanted to hear someone who could sing. Anthrax music was getting heavier or aggressive even, it was just what we had in us, it was just a changing of the guard that I was not happy with at all. John is a great guy personally, killer guy, but as far as my music, fuck no. I write dynamic, he has to be able to sing."

Is pretty insulting to John, and a slap in the face to the band for their desicion to hire John.

And:

"If you'll give me a lighter, I'll burn it in front of you, how about that? I spit on it. I call it a last chance effort to do something to be honest and brutal, I'm not gonna sugarcoat stuff. To me it's a cover band doing songs that I wrote, it hurts me and I know that it hurt Joey the most, more than me, for me it's a cover band, if it sells a million then send me a cheque in the mail, but for Joey as a singer, oh boy, whoever thought this idea up, if it was a manager or somebody, not a good idea. I don't think the fans kinda liked it either, not the true fans we'll say. The true fans are fans like you who will show their cousin, their younger children Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, this is really heavy metal, it comes from them, not a record company, this is the band you go to see, would you go send them see that or the reunion of Anthrax, what's real? It's like Iron Maiden, with the other singer, not Bruce, him doing a bunch of old Iron Maiden songs, it's a cover band."

That is plain stupid and insulting to everyone involved, the band AND the fans. WE wanted TGOTE and the band did it for US. They knew there wouldn't be much money involved and they went for it anyways. And now this guy's telling us it wasn't a good idea and the true fans didn't like it?

So, maybe they interview didn't come off as Dan intended, but hey he should've known better than running his mouth all over the place for an interview.

And for those in the apologetic camp, well if that is how "he feels" about stuff, I don't even see why he's in the band. I mean, if it's so easy for him to dismiss what... 13 years? of Anthrax history then get the f*ck out of here or as Dan would say "DO THE MATH"... and then get the f*ck out of here.

*EDIT: Oh and if the band said that the TGOTE versions were "better and as they were intended" well, gee let me think, could it be they (and "they" means every band on earth) say those things for promotional pruposes? Or were you expecting them to say instead "Well, listen guys, these remakes suck balls, but pretty please buy the album anyways okay?"

And as far as I'm concerned MOST of the interview is fine, and it's lenghty and I'm cool with that, however there are some very "annoying" things on there that I feel should be adressed, you don't share my opinion? That's ok, I don't really mind.​

Rise said:
why should he if he did shut up as you put it, then ud be "for fuck sake they never tell us anything"

You cant have it both ways

Yeah except we've been, or at least *I* have been wishing for NEWS AND UPDATES ON THE BAND's SITUATION.

I've NOT been asking or wishing for further dismissal of the Bush era from any band member, and certainly not in such a rude and careless manner.

Listen, I'm not one of the reunion basher folks and if you haven't seen me posting much recently, it's because of that whole bullshit, but this is pretty sad and I felt like giving my opinion on it.

They might not even know themselves so why bother saying by such and such a date this will happen. My life is more stable than a band member's life i cant say what i'l be doing in 6 months so think that its like for them.

Anyway i thought it was quite clear new album for anthrax,zombie dates & saint are touring so that clears the next few months up. Beyond that no-one knows & if they do its a hope it will happen not it WILL happen.

Jacowboy said:

No one ever said it was fake.

To me it just comes off as Dan feels like he is the savior of the band, nobody wrote music back then, the band can't write music without him.

Maybe he's right.

I met Dan at the Glasgow meet and greet and I thought he was cool and down to earth, very confident and knowledgeable about music and watchmaking.

He is entitled to his opinion as much as anyone else in the band, it is easy for the typed word to be misinterpreted as you don't convey the context in which it is delivered, ie with humour, sarcasm, reverence etc.

His rare interviews are certainly never dull!