new dream theater clip online!!!

Well zmetallica and azal summed it up beautifully, to the point where I actually like Dream Theater a little bit less than I did 5 minutes ago.

Hangman, I know people have all sorts of different tastes and all that nonsense blahblah we all know this.. But reading your posts I have a feeling you have a long way to go for your tastes to mature. You can't just shrug off the fact that a lot of musicians, in and out of the progressive and/or metal genre, make just as effective use of "time changes and key changes and all that other crap" (as zmetallica put it). You would benefit from doing some searching.

But some of you guys... Did you literally fall asleep at a show?? I can't even believe that.. Maybe if you're at, I dunno, the Sooting Sounds of the Oceanfest, seated in waterbeds, but I couldn't imagine LITERALLY falling asleep at a show that is vaguely rock, or loud.

ive been to a dozen shows, and ive never wanted to "fall asleep". i think dt are definately a musicians band. and the fact of the matter is this: you might not like them, but theres millions of fans around the world that do.
their fanbase is arguably larger and more diverse than any other band in metal/rock.

3 dozen shows for me over the past 20 years

Zvilin,There are a lot of other bands that use time changes ,keys and all that other stuff but no one does it as well as DT.

If you can ,you do .If you can't ,you can't do .Nuff said

ive been to a dozen shows, and ive never wanted to "fall asleep". i think dt are definately a musicians band. and the fact of the matter is this: you might not like them, but theres millions of fans around the world that do.
their fanbase is arguably larger and more diverse than any other band in metal/rock.

You do realize that citing the size of a fanbase is fallical at best? What appeals to a large audience is never at all indicitive of quality, or else we could easily surmise that the most popular artists are, defacto, to be seen as the best artists?

I'm not taking any adversarial position against Dream Theater. I find the one show I've seen enjoyable, and the crowd was indeed enthusiastic. But if a band has one fan or a billion, that means nothing in regard to the quality of the artist's vision.

But some of you guys... Did you literally fall asleep at a show?? I can't even believe that.. Maybe if you're at, I dunno, the Sooting Sounds of the Oceanfest, seated in waterbeds, but I couldn't imagine LITERALLY falling asleep at a show that is vaguely rock, or loud.

I've fallen asleep at a bunch of boring shows. DT I actually dozed in and out. I think its the fact that i have to sit in a seat so far away from the action and their songs sound similar and always have some 'jam section' where they switch solos and such. there's something called doing it with style and such. the most talent in that band was Mike, he had a lot of style in his playing. The rest were just doing their thing and standing still for 90% of the time.

Would you rather them run around like those Dragonforce assholes and fuck up 80% of their songs? It's plain and simple, Dream Theater are a musician's band. If you're a competant musician or have good taste in music, you'll enjoy the band. If you're non-musician or have ADD then you'll most likely get antsy.

I'm sure all of the bands on the Heathen Crusade reeked of emotion, right? You just have to get through all of those blastbeats first.

They kicked ass when i saw them they got the biggest pits and got the crowd really going, plus they played better and didnt sound like shit....unlike megadeth.

I was disappointed with Nevermore though...they played fine but the sound levels were crap.

I love sweeping uneducated statements.
Perhaps you're confusing HC with the maryland deathfest haha

Possibly......

My point still stands. Dream Theater are a highly emotional band. You need to get through all of their catalog before any judgements are made. You should be 21 by then right?