New DREAM THEATER thoughts....

Don't sweat it SavaDude, the "cooking monsters" get their panties in wads when you don't like their noise. :lol:

~Brian~

Maybe because not liking our "noise" is usually accompanied with ignorant comments like "all growlies sound the same" or "growling takes no talent".

Honestly, what year is it again? I could of sworn the ignorance surrounding growls died out a long time ago.

+1 for A Nightmare to Remember. Portnoy really isn't growling, but he should never try to do whatever it was he did into a mic again.

Very true. I used to play in a jazz band and the attitude was that the singer was just another "instrument." I apply this to harsh vocals as well. They're just another instrument that adds to the music and its atmosphere.
+1

When was the last time you listened to a band because you loved the growler; or when was the last time you heard a band go by the name of the singer (who would be a growler) like Andre Matos does now for example?

Personally, I find it is something that can be done tastefully or to add edge, etc. Just don't squawk like a pterodactyl (see singer of the Cheodoes live)

Very true. I used to play in a jazz band and the attitude was that the singer was just another "instrument." I apply this to harsh vocals as well. They're just another instrument that adds to the music and its atmosphere.
+1

When was the last time you listened to a band because you loved the growler; or when was the last time you heard a band go by the name of the singer (who would be a growler) like Andre Matos does now for example?

Personally, I find it is something that can be done tastefully or to add edge, etc. Just don't squawk like a pterodactyl (see singer of the Cheodoes live)

LMAO! Or like the guitarist for Epica! He sounds JUST like the friggin Tazmanian Devil!

i guess I will record some heavy riffs, and then record the sound of my garbage disposal grinding up a steak bone. Hey! Its just another instrument. And making noise takes skill! I will be the first to perfect the Grabage Masher Melody! OOOH! And I could record the harmonies with a leaf blower! Oh this is GOOD! I am a TRUE innovator! :p

Look guys, it really is all about personal taste! If we all liked the same stuff, the world would be a dull place indeed! S'all good! I for one am very glad there is such diversity in art!

I like what I have heard thus far. I don't think there is anything here to get the growler haters up in arms though. Admittedly I have not been a fan of Portnoy stepping up to the mic. However, I think his contributions have been adding to and not subtracting from the music over the last album or two. I now welcome him to the mic.

I wont even get into the whole growl thing in general as I have been down that road 1 too many times. It is what it is and it is mostly a matter of opinion on if it's good or bad or needed or not or talent or not,etc.

I will say this though, I recall a thread on this forum about growling a while back and I do recall a comment that I found comical. It was something like this: "If growling denotes talent then my dog is a genius" ( Don't hate on me, I didn't say it)

LMAO!!!! OMG THAT WAS PRICELESS! The dog... LOL! I love it.

Dood, where can I hear these songs?? Even Google isnt being very helpful on this!

OK! In light of "cookie monster" vocals, I DO like them when it fits the band or style. I like Scar Symmetry, Empyrios, Sikth etc.....they all mix in this style. My point? When I feel like having Chinese food, I eat Chinese...when I feel like Mexican food, I eat Mexican, if someone put soy sauce on my burrito it would ruin my burrito...I enjoy it, but not when I am at a mexican joint eating a burrito and the waiter comes over and pours soy sauce on my mexican dish, it "ruins the recipe" . I think I made my point, silly, but I think you all get it. When I listen to DT I don't need the singer of Meshuggah behind Labrie, does not fit. But I LOVE Meshuggah when I feel like hearing cookie monster, Elmo, big bird, whatever........LOL!

i guess I will record some heavy riffs, and then record the sound of my garbage disposal grinding up a steak bone. Hey! Its just another instrument. And making noise takes skill! I will be the first to perfect the Grabage Masher Melody! OOOH! And I could record the harmonies with a leaf blower! Oh this is GOOD! I am a TRUE innovator! :p

Look guys, it really is all about personal taste! If we all liked the same stuff, the world would be a dull place indeed! S'all good! I for one am very glad there is such diversity in art!

Don't make suggestions like that in public, I know musicians who WOULD try it if they had thought of it first.

....They may still if they read this.

LMAO! :lol:

Hilarious. You sound just like me when I rant about growls to people who ask me why I dont like them!

Wasn't there a group somewhere that made a living banging on trash cans and such? I heard them before and their stuff actually sounded pretty cool. I remember in band a long time ago we used sheet metal to make wind! I know Tool has some weird shit going on too.

Although, having it be the entire melody.... I'll take Åkerfeldt and you can keep the garbage disposal :lol:

Ok! Finally heard the tracks. MASTERFUL as always. While there have been songs on the past few records I didnt like much, I have never been let down by Dream Theater, and the two songs I have heard are no exception. Outstanding!!

LMAO! :lol:

Hilarious. You sound just like me when I rant about growls to people who ask me why I dont like them!

Alright, I wasnt going to bring this up, but seeing as how you can appreciate this story, I will post it.

I was a DJ on an internet radio station for about 2 years. I DID record a song of heavy riffing at about 180 BPM and DID add the sounds of my garbage disposal grinding up several different things. Ice cubes, chicken bones, regular food shit from dinner plates, etc. I changed speeds and added reverb and doubled the tracks, then had a contest on the station.
The contest was simple, whomever could tell me what the 'lyrics' were, would win a guitar.
It was the funniest fuckin contest I had ever done. I got about 40 emails from people identifying the 'lyrics' and the night I broadcast the 'song' live on the air, I had about 30 people in my chatroom throwing out words and lines that they were SOOO sure were in the song.
Needless to say when I revealed the punchline of my joke contest, there were some pretty pissed off people.
It was actually the day I decided that I would stop flaming the growlies fans. I learned a little humility on the subject because I realized that whether I appreciated that style of music or not, it was important to some people and it wasnt RIGHT of me to bash something that people hold as important to them.
As you can see by my posts here, it has been hard for me to maintain this, but I am trying. :p

Alright, I wasnt going to bring this up, but seeing as how you can appreciate this story, I will post it.

I was a DJ on an internet radio station for about 2 years. I DID record a song of heavy riffing at about 180 BPM and DID add the sounds of my garbage disposal grinding up several different things. Ice cubes, chicken bones, regular food shit from dinner plates, etc. I changed speeds and added reverb and doubled the tracks, then had a contest on the station.
The contest was simple, whomever could tell me what the 'lyrics' were, would win a guitar.
It was the funniest fuckin contest I had ever done. I got about 40 emails from people identifying the 'lyrics' and the night I broadcast the 'song' live on the air, I had about 30 people in my chatroom throwing out words and lines that they were SOOO sure were in the song.
Needless to say when I revealed the punchline of my joke contest, there were some pretty pissed off people.
It was actually the day I decided that I would stop flaming the growlies fans. I learned a little humility on the subject because I realized that whether I appreciated that style of music or not, it was important to some people and it wasnt RIGHT of me to bash something that people hold as important to them.
As you can see by my posts here, it has been hard for me to maintain this, but I am trying. :p

:lol:...it makes you wonder what the people were smoking when they heard the track! I'll attempt to refrain from being such an "ass" about growling too. I don't mind it as long as it's used in good taste as a seasoning used sparingly in music. With that said, there's no way in hell I'll ever be able to like a band that does it constantly, no matter how hard I try. It does piss me off when people (Palabra's previous post, above) try to insinuate that I need to get some balls, because I don't like growling for the most part. That's when I start to get defensive about it. :kickass:

~Brian~

YES, I have to " go there", sorry.A perfect example of this IMO would be Children Of Bodom! The band is great...but I guess if you can't find someone who can actually sing get your neighbor in the band and tell him growl, as long as he can make practice and the gigs, LOL. Growling can be great for dynamics in a song for a "character or theatrical" purpose..but as a lead vocal it can completely ruin a talented band.