New DREAM THEATER thoughts....

YES, I have to " go there", sorry.A perfect example of this IMO would be Children Of Bodom! The band is great...but I guess if you can't find someone who can actually sing get your neighbor in the band and tell him growl, as long as he can make practice and the gigs, LOL. Growling can be great for dynamics in a song for a "character or theatrical" purpose..but as a lead vocal it can completely ruin a talented band.

Exactly, COB's music is awesome until he opens his mouth. That's not even growling it's just screaming :puke:

Opeth is one of the only bands that I like with "cookie monster" vocals. Mikael does it just right without being annoying :headbang:

I could not agree more with imaskinbeater...Opeth is THEE exception! Mikael does not growl, I think he actually conjures the actual voice of evil, LOL. I've seen Opeth live, When you actually see and hear him live it's hard to believe it's real, LOLOL, and then he immediately goes into the most melodic vocals in the same frikkin' verse....it's mindblowing. :OMG:

I could not agree more with imaskinbeater...Opeth is THEE exception! Mikael does not growl, I think he actually conjures the actual voice of evil, LOL. I've seen Opeth live, When you actually see and hear him live it's hard to believe it's real, LOLOL, and then he immediately goes into the most melodic vocals in the same frikkin' verse....it's mindblowing. :OMG:

I agree, Opeth is the most notable exception. However, I wouldn't go as far as "THEE" exception. The growls (not screaming) from bands like Swallow The Sun, Rapture and Mar De Grises are similar to Opeth (in my opinion), but the clean vocals aren't as developed (edit: developed as in quality) as in Opeth.

LOL, this thread is hysterical.

YES, I have to " go there", sorry.A perfect example of this IMO would be Children Of Bodom! The band is great...but I guess if you can't find someone who can actually sing get your neighbor in the band and tell him growl, as long as he can make practice and the gigs, LOL. Growling can be great for dynamics in a song for a "character or theatrical" purpose..but as a lead vocal it can completely ruin a talented band.

Ironic, then, that CoB were, as far as I know, the only all-growlies band that Glenn has ever seriously considered booking for PPUSA. (Back before their first full US tour.)

As for the other childish comments about them,.......uh, whatever.

Don't sweat it SavaDude, the "cooking monsters" get their panties in wads when you don't like their noise. :lol:

"Say, Frankenstein, whatcha cookin' tonight?"
"Steaks, but I'll make some extra-rare for ya, Werewolf. Dracula, too, if he's coming over. Should I save the blood for him?"
"Nahh, he's got a gig tonight with his black-metal band."
"Oh, shit. You know how that gets Mummy's panties in a wad."
"Yeah, well, he IS the Mummy. Besides, no-one cares about him or his opinions any more. He's just an old stick in the mud."

:lol:

i guess I will record some heavy riffs, and then record the sound of my garbage disposal grinding up a steak bone. Hey! Its just another instrument. And making noise takes skill! I will be the first to perfect the Grabage Masher Melody! OOOH! And I could record the harmonies with a leaf blower! Oh this is GOOD! I am a TRUE innovator! :p

Look guys, it really is all about personal taste! If we all liked the same stuff, the world would be a dull place indeed! S'all good! I for one am very glad there is such diversity in art!

Personal opinion is fine, but when you open up a can of worms with comments like that, it pisses people off. What are you like 60? If so i apoligize, if not i just think your and ignorant prick :puke: Try and telling Melissa Cross that there is no talent in extreme vocals. I would suggest you google her. "Zen of Screaming" is the title of her work.

Personal opinion is fine, but when you open up a can of worms with comments like that, it pisses people off. What are you like 60? If so i apoligize, if not i just think your and ignorant prick :puke: Try and telling Melissa Cross that there is no talent in extreme vocals. I would suggest you google her. "Zen of Screaming" is the title of her work.

Sorry mate. Didnt mean to upset ya. I am not 60, but my ears dont like noise much. I am sure it takes skill to play polka, to rap, to play bass for Avril Lavigne, and to growl too.

The thing that is cracking me up the most is that Steve DiGiorgio is sitting here right next to me reading all of my posts, and even the former bass player for DEATH is cracking up!

=) Cheers all.

Like what you like, don't like what you don't like. Nobody is right or wrong.
Either side getting their panties in a wad over this just cracks me up.
No reason to make an age separation on the fans/foes of deathy vocals.
That's just being douche, IMO....I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to both sides of your "rule". I'm not 60, but I will soon be 45 :zombie:

I DID like the post about
recording things in the bone crushing garbage disposal, & having people hear lyrics. THAT is classic....:headbang:

I personally don't like rap, 90% of most growlies, or asparagus. There are some merits to all of them. A reg over at the Sy-X forum pleaded with me to check out Swano's Moontower for crystal clear, understandable growlies. Took the wind out of my arguement about not being able to understand any lyrics. It was good stuff. Swano's contributions to the last Threshold cd were easily tolerable.

Alright, I wasnt going to bring this up, but seeing as how you can appreciate this story, I will post it.

I was a DJ on an internet radio station for about 2 years. I DID record a song of heavy riffing at about 180 BPM and DID add the sounds of my garbage disposal grinding up several different things. Ice cubes, chicken bones, regular food shit from dinner plates, etc. I changed speeds and added reverb and doubled the tracks, then had a contest on the station.
The contest was simple, whomever could tell me what the 'lyrics' were, would win a guitar.
It was the funniest fuckin contest I had ever done. I got about 40 emails from people identifying the 'lyrics' and the night I broadcast the 'song' live on the air, I had about 30 people in my chatroom throwing out words and lines that they were SOOO sure were in the song.
Needless to say when I revealed the punchline of my joke contest, there were some pretty pissed off people.
It was actually the day I decided that I would stop flaming the growlies fans. I learned a little humility on the subject because I realized that whether I appreciated that style of music or not, it was important to some people and it wasnt RIGHT of me to bash something that people hold as important to them.
As you can see by my posts here, it has been hard for me to maintain this, but I am trying. :p

Haha thats awesome. I usually never rant about them on my show until I'm provoked. ;)

My chat brings in about 40-50 people, and sometimes a few knuckleheads will come in and go on a schtick about me playing "pussy" music because I incorporate everything from Poison type sleaze rock to Vicious Rumors. They'll come in when I'm playing some rare hair band and be like "hey MM play some real metal like Deicide, or Obituary". LOL

That automatically sends me on my rant haha, and once I get going look out! Makes great discussion in the chatroom thats for sure! I actually have a mp3 somewhere of me mocking, and imitating Deicides "Lunatic Of Gods Creation" while playing it live on air.

Look forward to hearing that wonderful song. :lol:

"Say, Frankenstein, whatcha cookin' tonight?"
"Steaks, but I'll make some extra-rare for ya, Werewolf. Dracula, too, if he's coming over. Should I save the blood for him?"
"Nahh, he's got a gig tonight with his black-metal band."
"Oh, shit. You know how that gets Mummy's panties in a wad."
"Yeah, well, he IS the Mummy. Besides, no-one cares about him or his opinions any more. He's just an old stick in the mud."
:lol:

:lol:...your sense of humor is priceless my man! :kickass:

~Brian~

Personally I won't want lyrics like:
Servants of death, enchanter of pain
From the land of no return, you'll kill again
Smear the blood on naked corpse
Manson.

... sung in a pussy voice. Growl it out.

Time to squash this. This is a Dream Theater thread, not a growl thread. If you want to bitch (or defend) about them, start a new thread or resurrect one of the gazillion ones that have already been posted.

Time to squash this. This is a Dream Theater thread, not a growl thread. If you want to bitch (or defend) about them, start a new thread or resurrect one of the gazillion ones that have already been posted.

*** Back on track here....In my final comment on this, I just personally feel the shouts or "growls" in ANY DT song are unfitting and do not need to be. However, it's not my place to decide it. Mr. Portnoy is obviously the "voice" of the band and his drumming is second to none, he does not need to "mark his territory" with barking vocal flare ups. With that said, I do like the new songs I have heard but his vocals in the songs are the equivalent of blackening a beautiful girls eye.

In what part is there growling in the song? I hear some parts where the singing is a bit more hoarse (hoarser?) but no growling....

In what part is there growling in the song? I hear some parts where the singing is a bit more hoarse (hoarser?) but no growling....

There never was growling in the song - it's just prog nerds getting their panties in a bunch and being frightened by the outside world.

Fact of the matter is, the 2 new songs kick ass and I can't wait to hear the rest of the album :kickass: Kudos to DT for trying to keep things fresh and doing a good job of it.

Progressive metal = don't screw with anything... we like the songs you have written in the past :lol:

I still haven't heard these tracks. Perhaps I will stumble upon them to better inform myself of these drastic stylistic changes.