New DREAM THEATER thoughts???

Wherewolf

New Metal Member
Nov 28, 2008
This is part 1 of my Dream Theater thread. I know the street date is Tuesday but some vendors shipped it and I was wondering what you all thought. I love it...a pleasant surprise. This cd falls somewhere between "Scenes...."
and "Octavarium". The cover cd is very cool as well (exactly what you would expect), and the instr. version of the new cd caught me off guard, not only is their no vocals but there are no leads as well....still very very cool!:headbang:

the instr. version of the new cd caught me off guard, not only is their no vocals but there are no leads as well....

Hmmmm... wouldn't 1 hour + of DT with no vocals AND no solos be rather... boring? Especially when you already have the real version of the songs.

I guess it's "innovative", sorta in this kinda way:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Garfield-Minus-Jim-Davis/dp/0345513878/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245637622&sr=8-1[/ame]

I like 3 out of the 6 songs....track1, 4 and 6 so far. Haven't listened to the 2 other discs yet.....the instrumental cd will be good for putting on and soloing over as guitar practice.

Just a phenomenal release. It's a great mix...a little of what made them the epitome progressive metal band in the beginning...and some of the great things they have done more recently. Highlights for me so far are "A Rite of Passage", "The Shattered Fortress", & "The Count of Tuscany". The soloing is very tasteful...and placed well. l don't even have to comment on the technical side because they are the best at what they do. Vocals...Labrie is definitely in his range & delivering. Mike cuts loose a little more on this than...say...the last 3 cds. I would have liked to had Myung a little more out front. That had got better but it seems his effort is placed more in the background on this release. For progressive metal fans , there's just no reason not to enjoy this.

The covers...well...they do them to the Nth degree. As you would expect them to do. Very nice. And some more obscure pickings than the more recognizable material they usually do.

I hope the local CD store here carries the edition I want. Slim chance, though. I might have to wait until I can get to a Best Buy to buy it. But the two songs that leaked I listened to sounded awesome. There were even some blastbeats in one song...fucking cool.

I'm liking this album so much better than Chaos. IMO that was their second worse album. I must say that I'm not completely sold on the lyrics yet. They seem somewhat cheesy at times. *shrugs* As I've said, Portnoy sounds better than he ever has with his backing vocals and I agree about Myung...It was like they finally realized they had a bass player on the last couple of album but now he's gone again.

I've not really listened to any of the covers so that will be the first disc I listen to. Looking for my Super Duper Deluxe package to arrive with today's mail. :D