New DREAM THEATER

I think it's hard to form any opinions about 1 dream theater song because to me they have always facilitated variety of songs on each album. I like this song but it's definitely less aggressive and I'm interested to hear that flavor of variety with Mangini. I love Portnoy but Mangini's hands and feet as far as speed are concerned are in a different league and I'm interested if they allowed any of that to shine on this album. I know they wrote all of it without Magnini but still... one can hope they would take advantage of a new asset in some way other than use his skills in a similar manner to Portnoy.

Don't know man ... if they haven't gotten enough new inspiration from the simple fact that they have a new drummer and some shit to prove, I don't think there's much else waiting over the horizon

that being said, I don't think its a bad song. It IS very safe and if you told me Portnoy played on this I would believe it but aside from that it does remind of some of the older stuff in places. I'm gonna assume this is a "safe" song to release 1st so people don't think they've lost all the core elements that make them Dream Theater

We'll see when the cd is released. I'm hoping for something cool and so far I'm not actually disappointed, just curious

Since they got the drummer after they had everything written (if I remember that one right) I dunno how much that could have effect on the songwriting ;)
But you're right they indeed have shit to prove...that's the pitty why it's " ah well, another DT song" and not "HOLY FUCK A NEW DT SONG!!11!"
They've been in the writing-recording-touring wheel year after year, and they could break it with taking some time off without any writing, touring ect.
I love I&W, 6 degrees and train of thought
Octavarium was okish
Systematic had 1-2 nice songs
black clouds has like one nice riff and thats it
We'll see how that new one goes, was very excited for Black clouds, and was so dissapointed.
Hope this wont happen this time.

At least Symphony X didn't fail with the new album, so the prog year 2011 is safed anyway :lol:

Giving it a 3/5.

Usual DT riffs. Kind of like a sped-up In The Name of God, the chorus sounds like the Root of Evil, and I hear some traces of 6 Degrees in Rudess' early keyboards. An overall solid song, but nothing too different from what they've already released. And the lyrics are somewhat political in nature, makes me cringe a little to think it could about the anniversary of 9-11. The cover (album or single? I can't really tell) with the airplane kind of hints at this.

Dan wins this. "It certainly doesn't sound like a "dramatic turn of events" at all" really sums it up.

Sounds good, just nothing special.

I wont even bother listening to it.
It's kinda like Metallica for me now.
They have THE albums you listen to (the first 4 Metallica albums, or for Dream Theater, their 90s works), and then for the rest of their discography, there's a few songs you like and generally hate the rest.

I like the song. It made me feel better than their latest releases, BUT, they have SO MANY DAMN THINGS happening in some parts that you can't hardly appreciate the riffing, and etc. The keyboards somewhat anoyed me, they're all over the place. Might be just me...

I think the song is ok, nothing spectacularly good, but a bit better than the average of what they've released lately. However, I don't like the mix too much. It's not like it's bad - but I don't really like the bass or the guitars.

It is a safe song but that is better than the crap they they have been trying to pass for the past few records. Something in me knew that with "Adolph Portnoy" out of the band that they would go back to a more old DT sound, guess I was on the money on that one. The big thing that bothered me however is, Jordan REALLY REALLY needs to gain some taste, he is either playing one million notes per second all the time or utilizing really nasty zany cartoon like synths that just sound like garbage, hell he couldn't keep from playing something tasteful when the band broke down and it was just a grand piano, couldn't be more disappointed in just the general lake of tastefulness.

And even though it is Youtube, its looking like Andy Wallace wasn't the wise choice for mixing a DT album, the only mix he has done that I actually like is Nevermind, but that album would not be my reference as the go to guy for a DT album by all means.

the album is, that's why we say that :wave:

It's ONE song out of what, 8 or 9? You can't make that judgement off of one song. That's like just listening to the first movement of a 4 part movement and saying it doesn't sound like war when the first movement is about life being peaceful at the moment for a hobbit.

Too much "single" based mindedness instead of full art/album mindedness.

ThatGuitarGuy said:
It's ONE song out of what, 8 or 9? You can't make that judgement off of one song. That's like just listening to the first movement of a 4 part movement and saying it doesn't sound like war when the first movement is about life being peaceful at the moment for a hobbit.

Too much "single" based mindedness instead of full art/album mindedness.

It was just a pun. Chill, baggins