NEW ENGLAND METAL AND HARDCORE FESTIVAL!!

Bryan316 said:
Hardcore is music for kids who aren't smart enough to learn how to play their instrument well. It's a heavy version of mediocrity. Learn just enough to get by, and that's all.

Hardcore is more of a life style. I also agree with the post about not having many "real" hardcore bands these days. On the other hand NYHC is still alive and well!!To bad they have to book all these mass. hardcore, metal core whatever you want to call it, bands!! Long live AGNOSTIC FRONT :worship:
I can't wait till they announce the lineup for the SUPERBOWL OF HARDCORE 06', they might hold it at the roseland ball room this year!!!:worship:

I have less of a problem with the bands than the way the fest is set up. You have 4,294 bands in 3 days...very few bands get more than 30 minutes to play. It is really reminiscent of the Jack Koschick's fests with the number of bands. I would prefer more quality bands and give them more time to play like PP, BWBK and most Euro fests are structured.
Do they have to sell tickets too? Just seems like this is one big clusterfuck of bands.

Well, Sonata Arctica did manage to wow the crowd as one of the few power metal bands on that bill. Enough so to practically sell out that same venue ~6 months later. And the 'core band that opened up for them? Booed after every song. And yes, the two guitarists knew maybe 3 chords (there was no lead guitarist either) and the singer wore a hat (backwards of course). The 2nd band at least had a decent lead guitarist to get the crowd into them a little.
Lacuna Coil has done this fest before so they must have liked it enough to do it again.
Still, there's usually like 2 bands I want to see every year that play other shows in the area so it's easy to pass up. This year they actually have a number of bands I would like to see. Of course I would have to go all 3 days and I just don't think I could stand to go through 6+ hours of bad music to hear 30 minutes of good music 3x over.

Jibrille said:
Well, Sonata Arctica did manage to wow the crowd as one of the few power metal bands on that bill. Enough so to practically sell out that same venue ~6 months later. And the 'core band that opened up for them? Booed after every song. And yes, the two guitarists knew maybe 3 chords (there was no lead guitarist either) and the singer wore a hat (backwards of course). The 2nd band at least had a decent lead guitarist to get the crowd into them a little.
Lacuna Coil has done this fest before so they must have liked it enough to do it again.
Still, there's usually like 2 bands I want to see every year that play other shows in the area so it's easy to pass up. This year they actually have a number of bands I would like to see. Of course I would have to go all 3 days and I just don't think I could stand to go through 6+ hours of bad music to hear 30 minutes of good music 3x over.

Like i have said before!!!If you dont like the fest then dont go!!! It sells out every year, regardless if you attend or not!! It still has the recognition of being the supreme metal fest in this country. You can argue all you want, its true!!! Personally, the lineup was better last year, but i have attended the fest since 2001, and its a blast every year. :headbang:

I had to reply to all the bashing of hardcore. I'm a metalhead 150% but my lifestyle has and always will be hardcore. One of the things that attracts me to hardcore is their lyrics have a message (not the majority of the newer bands that complain about relationships), where metal a lot of times the lyrics aren't about important issues (there are a few exceptions, PoS being one of them).

I'll give you it's not as talented as metal bands, but when I want to hear talent I'll listen to metal. Hardcore bands used be be the most fun (before every band became senstive about their girls in the scene) bands to see live. Piling on and singing along with your favorite band is an amazing feeling.

Hardcore isn't for everyone, but you really shouldn't bash it when you've never been part of it. I don't like country but I don't go out of my way to bash it and put down anyone that is into it. As the old saying goes, "different strokes for different folks".

4acidbath4 said:
It still has the recognition of being the supreme metal fest in this country.

No, its second fiddle to the fest of whose forum you are posting in now.

more_you_know.jpg

metalsped said:
No, its second fiddle to the fest of whose forum you are posting in now.

I fear that is true to only the people on this forum. Last year was the first ProgPower that i have attended, and yes it was a very unique exp., loved every min. of it. But it still doesnt appeal to the masses. Not knocking glenn, but if it was appealing to a larger crowd then it would be held at a bigger venue, instead of playing the safe route. If it was held at the same venue as metal fest, it simply just wouldnt sell out.

VeganSupremacy said:
I had to reply to all the bashing of hardcore. I'm a metalhead 150% but my lifestyle has and always will be hardcore. One of the things that attracts me to hardcore is their lyrics have a message (not the majority of the newer bands that complain about relationships), where metal a lot of times the lyrics aren't about important issues (there are a few exceptions, PoS being one of them).

I'll give you it's not as talented as metal bands, but when I want to hear talent I'll listen to metal. Hardcore bands used be be the most fun (before every band became senstive about their girls in the scene) bands to see live. Piling on and singing along with your favorite band is an amazing feeling.

Hardcore isn't for everyone, but you really shouldn't bash it when you've never been part of it. I don't like country but I don't go out of my way to bash it and put down anyone that is into it. As the old saying goes, "different strokes for different folks".

At least someone is on my side here!!!:worship: :worship:

Let me just chime in real quick before this becomes a fest war. I totally respect the NE guys and really do wish them the best. They have picken up the Koshick formula and fixed it to where it works. It really is difficult to compare the two fests as we have totally different philosophies, especially when it comes to roster selection. It really just depends on what is most important to you in a fest (multiple bands vs. longer sets, multi-genre bands vs. specific styles, big setting vs intimate, etc., etc.) in terms of how you rank it. I don't think they can pull in anyone that I couldn't get and vice versa as well.

I will say that while I do book the occassional band that tours (in reality, they book their tour after I book them), I have noticed that the NE Fest is booking more and more national tours and making their stop part of the festival. It's a good strategy to get the big names in all at once at a good price. Don't get me wrong though as they do grab the occassional special artists as well.

Anyhow, good luck to them. They serve their audience well and I try to take care of mine.

Glenn H.

4acidbath4 said:
metalsped said:
N Not knocking glenn, but if it was appealing to a larger crowd then it would be held at a bigger venue, instead of playing the safe route. If it was held at the same venue as metal fest, it simply just wouldnt sell out.

I disagree.

1. They have commerical/finanical backing. I have my private sponsors. Thus, they can go on a bigger scale.
2. I have no doubt in my mind that I could sell out a place tha held 5,000 depending on the roster I book. Granted, I went for a more niche audience this year, but I can do that based on who buys my ticket. If I can sell a show out in four days over six months in advance with absolutley no advertising other than word of mouth, I dare say I easily sell a few more thousand tickets. However, it would hurt the quality of the fest as there is nothing like Earthlink available to me in a larger format.

I realize that my show isn't as big as NE, but the point is that I refuse to do that. I am not a mainstream fest. You won't see us on MTV2. It's not about playing it safe. It's about a successful formula that I really think is the best. I'm not out to become Wacken Jr. I'm out to remain ProgPower USA.

Glenn H.

Glenn, by far I think your fest is a better fest than NE. I flew to PP 1 by myself just to see your fest and watched it grow to what it is now. Amazing job man. The fact that you choose bands that don't tour, makes it much more special.

My $0.02

Allow me to compare this New England fest with ProgPower.

If I go to the New England fest, I'd only want to go to see five bands, tops, and the only night I'd buy a ticket, would be Sunday. For Dragonforce.

If I go to Prog Power (If? Oh who am I kidding?) I'll want to see 8 out of ten bands, plus all the bands of the pre-party, plus the prepreparty karaoke, plus chill with all my homies, plus take Chris Caffery to a strip club again. That means I'm buying three days worth of tickets, and staying there for four full days of kickassness.

The New England festival would bore me to death, waiting through all those stale, unoriginal, uninventive, boring-as-fuck cookie cutter mallcore bands.

I'd need to atted ProgPower twice, just to be sure I experienced everything cool there. I'd need to clone myself to have all the fun I'd have.

Sorry, holmes, but you're dangling a steak in front of the lions. Your festival doesn't hold a candle to Glenn's whiskey farts.

4acidbath4 said:
...if it was appealing to a larger crowd then it would be held at a bigger venue, instead of playing the safe route. If it was held at the same venue as metal fest, it simply just wouldnt sell out.

This argument has been beaten to death several times, most recently by Glenn himself in this very same thread.

Keep in mind that bigger is not necessarily = to better. I have not been to the NE fest, so I will not venture a judgement and I am not saying PP is better than NE fest. But, the fact is that PP has sold out within a matter of days... six monts in advance of the festival. It's supply and demand. Supply is limited, so the high demand depletes the supply quickly. Would PP sellout at a larger venue? Damn right it would! But it's Glenn's show, so he calls the shots.

For those of you going to the NE fest, enjoy the show. Maybe I would consider going, but lets just say I am going through a "personal recession".

Off topic: Dream Theater is currently performing their FIRST EVER show in Puerto Rico. It was about time! I could not go as I am currently in the states for work.:ill:

VeganSupremacy said:

Important issues? I guess that depends on what's important to you. I'm not saying all hardcore blows, and I agree there is some that is not bad, but the only "message" I could make out the last time I listened to hardcore was some preachy vegan and straight edge propaganda. Based on your handle, I'm guessing this may carry meaning for you, but for me, hardcore lyrics screaming about how I don't have enough respect for cows and chickens, are about as "important" as the lyrics of a power metal band singing about dragons and wizards.