NEW ENGLAND METAL AND HARDCORE FESTIVAL!!

CHIMAIRA, ARCH ENEMY and HATE ETERNAL will be teaming up for a U.S. tour beginning in early April. NEVERMORE will also reportedly be on the bill for the tour's initial dates before being replaced by GOD FORBID for the remainder of the trek.

CHIMAIRA, ARCH ENEMY and HATE ETERNAL tour dates:

Apr. 03 - Gothic Theatre - Denver, CO (w/ NEVERMORE)
Apr. 05 - Marquee Theatre - Tempe, AZ (w/ NEVERMORE)
Apr. 09 – Fillmore - San Francisco, CA (w/ NEVERMORE)
Apr. 12 - El Corazon - Seattle, WA (w/ NEVERMORE)
Apr. 14 - Big Easy Concert House - Spokane, WA (w/GOD FORBID)
Apr. 30 - 9:30 Club - Washington, DC (w/ GOD FORBID)

More dates will be announced soon.

From August 1991 to November 1998 we five had an obsession with music entitled OVERCAST. Motivated by having fun and playing songs that went against the grain, we stayed true to ourselves by writing music we wanted to play ... fashionable or not. Money was never an issue back then mainly because there wasn't any to be had. Sometimes we would play for gas money, most times for far far less. Only through sacrifice and perseverance did we make it work. First hand experience and trial and error provided our path. We had no one to rely on but ourselves. Years and years of weekend warrior tours took us places we normally would never have gone or seen. It was indeed a time we still reflect on and a time we will never forget.

But all things come to an end. After years of being turned down by labels, skimped out on by promoters, and a general sense of the band being too much of an albatross to continue ... in 1998 we disbanded. Heartbroken and emotionally taxed, we went our separate ways. Brian joined Shadows Fall (a band who had opened for OVERCAST on many occasions), Miked started working on a project called Killswitch Engage. Pete continued writing and ended up in a band called Seemless. Scott began playing bass in Transient. Jay formed and played in many bands, finally settling down in the band Tunnel Drill.

Now 8 Years has passed since OVERCAST was an active band. All of a sudden the stars have aligned, the planets have shifted, and old friends find themselves back home with substantial amounts for free time. OVERCAST is reborn.

OVERCAST is proud to announce the following:

1. OVERCAST will be playing this year's New England Metal And Hardcore Fest (Saturday, April 29th - on Mainstage)

2. OVERCAST will be re-recording 10-14 classic tracks and 2 unreleased songs for a full length album entitled "Reborn To Kill Again", in May 2006. Adam Dutkiewics has signed on as producer of this endeavor and we could not be happier. As far as a label - talks are still currently in negotiation (more as it comes).

Why, do you ask, is OVERCAST re-recording classic material?

Simply put, we are having the time of our lives hanging together and playing these old songs again. We feel as if we are breathing new life into this dead material. Suddenly the ambition to "one up" ourselves has returned, more thirsty than ever. But most importantly, our main reason is due to the overwhelming excitement of the old skool fans, even to this day. For the kids who have shown us MUCH love over the years by coming up to us at shows and telling us how much they appreciated OVERCAST. These people have provided us with the greatly needed encouragement and enthusiasm we have been lacking. They have given us a vision to try this band one more time.

For them we dedicate our new found time and energy towards this recording. We consider it an honor that some of you still care.

Thank You - OVERCAST

Bryan316 said:
I'm not saying the Sunday lineup isn't a worthy lineup. Problem is, I'd have to sit through two and a half days of mediocrity to get to it.

Ding Ding! Works well that I am only a half hour away from this fest...but even at that, Im tough pressed to turn over $40 for it.

metalsped said:
Ding Ding! Works well that I am only a half hour away from this fest...but even at that, Im tough pressed to turn over $40 for it.

Cheap Fuck!!! Then don't go, sick of seeing you cry over this.:cry: All you have is negativity towards this fest. Going to sell out reagardless if you go or not.

I'm beginning to think you dont like me 4acidbath4 :erk::lol: . The only person Ive seen get all worked up in this entire thread is yourself. Cheap fuck huh? Yeah, Im a total cheapskate, what with sponsoring a band for Prog Power and all. I should just give up on the entire metal scene, and sit in my basement and download every album and bootleg out there. That will shows those artists that I mean business, and they arent worthy of my money!!

4acidbath4 said:
Cheap Fuck!!! Then don't go, sick of seeing you cry over this.:cry: All you have is negativity towards this fest. Going to sell out reagardless if you go or not.

Dude I really think you need to stop posting all these shows on these boards. It's obvious from the name alone that most people won't be interested in the majority of the bands playing. You'd be better off posting on hardcorewebsite.net, bridge9, lamgoat, etc.

I stuck up for hardcore when everyone was bashing it, but I really think you just come on here to be an ass. If you do have anything to do with these shows, then you should know this isn't going to sell more tickets. Just leave this board alone.

VeganSupremacy said:
Dude I really think you need to stop posting all these shows on these boards. It's obvious from the name alone that most people won't be interested in the majority of the bands playing. You'd be better off posting on hardcorewebsite.net, bridge9, lamgoat, etc.

I stuck up for hardcore when everyone was bashing it, but I really think you just come on here to be an ass. If you do have anything to do with these shows, then you should know this isn't going to sell more tickets. Just leave this board alone.

You are probably right about the diff. of taste. I just find it funny how everyone on this forum is so closed minded. I just like using peoples comments on this site, and use them on other music forums for people to get a kick out of them, because they do. They may not like "men in tights" metal but they never bash it. There are people who like all kinds of metal like myself, more so.. than the bashers. So keep up the comments, we are all loving them!!:lol:

:headbang: metal is metal:headbang:

Walter_Langkowski said:
I'm curious if you could decribe in your own words the term 'lifestyle' when talking about Hardcore. I have my own thoughts, but I was wondering if you as a fan of the genre could go into a little detail about it. I'm serious actually.

Hi Walter,

Hardcore (not so much the newer bands) is a lifestyle, more than just a type of music, because it's not just about the music. A band can sound more metal but still be hardcore. As I've said in another post on this thread the bands sing about things like politics, animal liberation/veganism, straight edge (not for everyone of course), friendship, unity amongst the scene, anti-racism, and many other issues.

Musicly most of the music isn't the most talented but it's not all about talent. The shows are much smaller than metal shows and it's a closer atmosphere. When a band plays and the fans are into the lyrics it's very common for people to pile up and "sing" along, the singers always put the mic out to the crowd. It really makes you feel like it's almost like a big "family".

The one thing I really don't understand is why both scenes (hardcore and metal) have such animosity towards each other. Hardcore kids like 4acid make hardcore fans look like real assholes that they think they are better than metalheads. 4acid saying that you are laughing at people on here with your friends doesn't paint hardcore fans as being very open minded either.

Now I think people on these boards are wrong too. Just assuming hardcore fans are assholes is very close minded also. Yeah I wear a baseball hat, baggy jeans/shorts, I'm vegan and straight edge too, but it doesn't make me anyless of a real fan of power/progressive metal. I've been to shows and get weird looks because I don't look like your typical metalhead.

I guess my whole point is everyone has to stop worrying about the other fitting into a certain sterotype. Both metalheads and hardcore fans are a lot the same in that neither really fit into the "pop culture". Lets all stop being ignorant and just judge people on an individual basis.

VeganSupremacy said:
Hi Walter,

Hardcore (not so much the newer bands) is a lifestyle, more than just a type of music, because it's not just about the music. A band can sound more metal but still be hardcore. As I've said in another post on this thread the bands sing about things like politics, animal liberation/veganism, straight edge (not for everyone of course), friendship, unity amongst the scene, anti-racism, and many other issues.

I don't really see it. The majority of things you list can be said about almost any music genre. So how does hardcore become more about the lifestyle than something like punk, rap, country, or metal?

And to acidbath, I can say rightfully so that not all hardcore fans refrain from bashing "men in tights" metal. You seem to be grouping ALL power metal fans as bashers yet ALL hardcore fans aren't? Each group easily has the same number of bashers.

Jibrille said:
And to acidbath, I can say rightfully so that not all hardcore fans refrain from bashing "men in tights" metal. You seem to be grouping ALL power metal fans as bashers yet ALL hardcore fans aren't? Each group easily has the same number of bashers.

Trust me when I say this, there are a lot of hardcore kidz -- part of that happy 'family,' donchaknow :rolleyes: -- who bash prog- and power-metal at the drop of a cap. I often hear from them when I play something like Iced Earth on WREKage; it's one of the reasons wny I don't play more prog- and power. Damned shame, but I get tired of being yelled at or made fun of.

What amazes me is how violent the straight-edge kids are at shows. "We don't drink, we don't do drugs, we don't eat meat, and we will STOMP on anyone who dares to glance at us funny!" This explains a lot of the metalhead/hardcore animosity, because most metalheads -- even for extreme metal bands -- just aren't that physical.

Pellaz said:
Trust me when I say this, there are a lot of hardcore kidz -- part of that happy 'family,' donchaknow :rolleyes: -- who bash prog- and power-metal at the drop of a cap. I often hear from them when I play something like Iced Earth on WREKage; it's one of the reasons wny I don't play more prog- and power. Damned shame, but I get tired of being yelled at or made fun of.

What amazes me is how violent the straight-edge kids are at shows. "We don't drink, we don't do drugs, we don't eat meat, and we will STOMP on anyone who dares to glance at us funny!" This explains a lot of the metalhead/hardcore animosity, because most metalheads -- even for extreme metal bands -- just aren't that physical.

Didn't you notice everyone bashing hardcore after someone listed a show with too many hardcore bands? They weren't bashing the people they were bashing the music and making fun of it because it's not talented. So it goes both ways, which I think is really stupid on both parts.

Also don't assume anyone that is at a hardcore show is straight edge. Yes there are assholes that are straight-edge, but there are also assholes that are metalheads. A lot of times the tough guys at hardcore shows are drinkers. Another thing is just because someone is straight edge doesn't mean they are vegetarian/vegan (unfortunately) and if they are usually they are super skinny/too small to get physical with anyone, haha.

This is an ALPHABETICAL list of bands performing each day of the festival. We will post set times and stage info week of the event. PLEASE NOTE: Talent is subject to change.

:::FRIDAY APRIL 28:::
DOORS OPEN AT 2:30PM
SHOW RUNS UNTIL 1:00AM
RE-ENTRY ALLOWED UNTIL 6:00PM

A Life Once Lost
A Perfect Murder
Alarum
Arsis
Between The Buried And Me
Black Dahlia Murder
Cephalic Carnage
Dead To Fall