New Evergrey Album

I didn't know this leaked. First Wagner Sharp MKKII and now this?! Why must I only be half way through work. :cry:

IIRC the band was using 5150 + an ENGL head during recording, but i'm not sure which one exactly... SE ? Invader ? PB ? Savage ?....

Check the studio reports and you'll have the answer, except if they reamped... which i doubt (guitar sounded pretty sweet in the studio report already).

From what I've seen on the studio updates vids, its the Nordstrom setup of ENGL Savage 120 + Peavey 5150.

If I recall most of the albums leading up to 'Recreation Day' were 5150s, and on 'Recreation' it was Triaxis.

Yeah, pretty sure Recreation was Triaxis, but "In Search of Truth" does NOT sound at all like a 5150 to me (I love that tone, it sounds more Mesa-ish to my ears)

Yeah, pretty sure Recreation was Triaxis, but "In Search of Truth" does NOT sound at all like a 5150 to me (I love that tone, it sounds more Mesa-ish to my ears)

'In Search' sounds *very* much like 5150 to me. The low mids tend to give it away. I could be wrong, but would be quite surprised.

I think The Shrink has it right. The newie is either a mix of 5150 and ENGL Savage, or the 5150 pre slaved through the Savage's power section (which would be my bet).

Pretty sure everything up to and including In Search of Truth was a Triaxis through a Peavey Classic 50/50 Poweramp. Tom confirmed in an interview just after ISOT was released that they used that setup, not sure if that applies to previous albums, but I assume so. And I always thought Recreation Day was a 5150, but recorded at Fredman hence maybe why it doesn't sound like a traditional 5150 tone. I'm pretty sure the last two albums were a 5150 as well. The live album was a 5150 boosted sometimes with a DS-1 (mainly for leads).

Overall their tone just plain kicks ass. Especially on the DVD (where it looks like Henrik in particular never picks that hard, yet the resulting tone is really agressive), I'd love to have a tone like that, so thick and tight, and they don't use a TS or anything for rhythm tones as far as I know.

I've got the settings off I think it was Henrik's 5150 on the Gear Talk section of the DVD, I'll post them later if anyones interested in trying them out?

Oh, well there you go, corrected. I'm quite surprised to hear the older stuff was all Triaxis, but I suppose that's the deal with recording and almost anything being able to sound like anything else. Although I've been particularly bad at picking amps lately...

Oh, well there you go, corrected. I'm quite surprised to hear the older stuff was all Triaxis, but I suppose that's the deal with recording and almost anything being able to sound like anything else. Although I've been particularly bad at picking amps lately...

Well, it's not an all Mesa setup, I guess the Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp adds a little of that Peavey flavour to it. But then again, it's not like it's a nice 6L6 unit, but EL84's, I dunno lol. But yeah.......always loved Evergrey's tone, especially on songs like Blinded, Mark Of The Triangle, and As I Lie Here Bleeding.

and they don't use a TS or anything for rhythm tones as far as I know.

On their DVD when they're going through their gear Tom shows their 5150 and mentions using a TS, so I'm pretty sure that is used, in the studio at least.

I can't say that a 5150 was 100% used on ISOT, but whatever they used, sure sounds like one to me- I get a similar enough tone out of my JSX.

I wouldn't be surpried if their earlier albums were the Mesa/Peavey combo, not that it mattered with the recording quality. I do remember hearing that the Triaxis was used on RD, but can't remember where I heard it...
I really couldn't care less for the tone on TIC though. It had an annoying character to it IMO.

The older albums (EG the first couple of Los Angered ones, Dark Discovery, SDT) are as far as I know marshall Valvestate and Digitech rack stuff combined. Our drummer worked at their stage on the Hultsfred festival and live they're currently using one 5150 and one 6505 each.

Haha, with a JSX it isn't all that hard. Shure the voicing is stlightly different, but like I said "similar enough". Having now played afew guitars through my amp I'd say any 5150/ JSX with 6L6's, mahogany body, passive pickups and the mids tamed should get close. With the sound on that album, go for a clearer, smooth sound rather than a brutal approach when dialing the amp in.