New forum feedback/sneak peeks

As long as there's a skin for dark text on white background, I'll be happy. Most of the metal websites I find seem to be light text on dark backgrounds, and I can't stare at those for very long on my PC without it doing my eyes in.

I'm OK with them on my tablet, but a lot of these sites aren't designed for the small screen, so I welcome the mobile option.

oh god. do we really wanna reopen that can of worms

Id say no to rep as well. Fuck promoting pandering posts just to get repped. I would prefer a "thanks" system for liking user recs, posts, and such.

Now that right there sounds awesome. *edit: but after looking at it(was on cell earlier) im not so sure now. I have a feeling that this change might just end up being the death of this place.*

But im basically on the same page as the other old farts. I think it's fine the way it is right now.

Yea, I personally like the general older layout and consistency of the site as it is now (one of my favorite forum layouts). Can we get some screenshots of the new post bit - and how it looks with the layout?

I'll post some more a bit later after some more tweaks.

There is a "Like" for posts now.

OneManArmy, welcome to the forum. There will indeed be a ahite w/black text style for the new site.

ybrws.gif

That's a little frightening lol

Tonight's highlight for the new forum development...uploading pictures with your post!

If you drag and drop multiple pictures, they all upload and you can choose to either insert them as thumbnails (which will pop up into a picture viewer on screen), or, insert full size. If you insert full size, unlike this software, the new forum keeps pictures in check and will not "blow out" the width of the forum.

Also, if you're in the middle of writing a post, you can save a draft, or, if you accidentally hit the back button or get taken off the page, your progress is saved and will be there when you come back. Boing.

Really loving this:

Attachments

• um-dev-files1.jpg
    um-dev-files1.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 1
  • um-dev-files2.jpg
    um-dev-files2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1
  • um-dev-files3.jpg
    um-dev-files3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1
  • um-dev-files4.jpg
    um-dev-files4.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 1
  • um-dev-files5.jpg
    um-dev-files5.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 1
Are you writing the new forum software yourself, or building on the framework of one of the many existing forum packages that is used on the website?

One feature I find invaluable on a few other forums I use is where it remembers my viewing activity in threads. This is usually only on the mobile versions, but it highlights thread titles in bold where there's new posts since I last viewed it, and it also positions me on the first unread post in that when opening it (like bookmarks in a book).

Are you writing the new forum software yourself, or building on the framework of one of the many existing forum packages that is used on the website?

One feature I find invaluable on a few other forums I use is where it remembers my viewing activity in threads. This is usually only on the mobile versions, but it highlights thread titles in bold where there's new posts since I last viewed it, and it also positions me on the first unread post in that when opening it (like bookmarks in a book).

Forum software = www.xenforo.com
Framework = Audentio UI.X

I'm doing all the customizing/theming using those. Anyone that tries to reinvent the forum wheel these days on their own would be certifiable.

This will track what you've read and will drop you at your last unread post when viewing a thread.

Also, if you're in the middle of writing a post, you can save a draft, or, if you accidentally hit the back button or get taken off the page, your progress is saved and will be there when you come back. Boing.

Essential feature. Nothing I hate more than typing up a post, losing it, and then typing the inferior follow-up post cause I dont feel like bothering anymore.

Couple of things: I prefer this blue/black scheme. Not too picky about it but red is harsh, don't know how people can stand to look at it for very long. Like that posts are less likely to be lost to the ether.

Also disabled my adblock for this site.

I know different forums have different ways of trying to bring in some cash. Two options are possibly "Supporter" level and "Premium" level. Supporters get a "Supporter" banner above/below their avatar or something, can be achieved for any amount of donation up to "Premium level" (on some set basis of time, eg, if you donate only once, after some amount of time you lose the supporter banner). At "Premium", you unlock something like extra emojis/smilies or something, unlimited name changes, and get the a more prestigious banner (maybe a shirt also).

Something that would also be cool would be if there were someway for (maybe premium) members to have a "collection" section in their profile, where they could list the albums they own, maybe with art and a link to encyclopedia metallum or somehting.

Thanks for the feedback. It's definitely a fence balance when you get into the "ad" thing. I am working on premium membership thing. I don't want it to be more fluff than substance.

I was doing a lot of testing with the mobile theme to see how well the forum handled, options wise, using a phone. Happy to say I was very pleased. You can upload straight from the camera, was easy to navigate around and "do things". Pretty awesome.

Small poll, how many here currently use Tapatalk to access the site?

I'm probably going to kill Tapatalk support when we have the full mobile, but I know some large forum owners that have faced backlash when they did that. I'm curious for those that use / argue about it, what value they get from it vs. using a fully mobile site.

My fellow/fellowette Old Schoolers.

I copied over this thread from GMD so you all came check out some of the progress on the next Ultimate Metal site, as well as see some of the comments that have been given so far. I'd love to get some feedback from some of you as well, so please feel free to comment and share your thoughts!

----

I'd like to solicit feedback from sneak peeks of the new forum development. I'll post as I have something worth posting.

New forum will have a dark/light choice:

Both examples work for me, the new layout it's alright. Like all forums change may entice some and may throw off some, until one get used to it.

Thanks for the hard work keeping this place alive Deron.

Small poll, how many here currently use Tapatalk to access the site?

I don't use Tapatalk. But what I find annoying is that when I want to use this forum on a mobile device I get asked every time twice if I want to use Tapatalk.

Feels like spamming to me and it bothers me.