NEW FREDMAN STYLE AWESOMETIME IMPULSES

Personally I dislike almost every "metal" tone I hear today and I hope this s-preshigh thingy (don't wanna take anything away from Ryan's efforts and skills here!) doesn't eventually lead to a degeneration of tones.

You see, you're needing more settings because the impulse doesn't bring the magic by itself and it will definitely NOT work with all amps and stuff...listen this, its the raw poweramp sound from my JMP used with s-preshigh impulse and then this, which is how I liked it to sound with my own custom made cab sim.

Half assed offtopic:

Think me (or this tone example) as a "curtain remover" cause I can make your tones to come more alive and powerful. Try me. Post your best (in the mix or alone) guitar tone and then I post how I'd like it to sound.

It sounds a bit too 'far away'.

did you know that if you record the power-amp signal and the final signal that you're custom cabsim gives you simultaneously you can deconvolve an impulse of that cab sim? might be useful to you or others. Also works if you record a power-amp signal from you amp together with the signal your mic pics up. You can deconvolve, deconvolve, deconvolve :heh:

Rob

Well, those who can :p take I give some stuff for free...but then again, to get something out of it (from the impulse) you gotta tweak your sound in this case towards JMP for sure. I don't use same sim twice, I'm making a new custom sim everytime when "opening" these tones.

One thing I like to add. IMO, at the current state of the gear (Nebula/NAT and othe convolvers) its more about listening and EQ:ing the curves than anything else. And thus, even guys like AE seems to feel sometimes a bit castrated (in Nebula threads) of their home made sims (compared to others) there could be a treasure lurking behind all their work. It just needs some kick ass operations.

EDIT: added a smiley.

EDIT2: Here is a link to that raw JMP file.

But like I said, if someone now uses deconvolver and use this raw file as a test tone file, its useless cause the resulting impulse (my cab sim) propably don't work too well with other sounds.

For what it's worth, I havent even download the impulse yet. I'm fully aware for best results i need a well treated room, proabably some v30s with some decent power amp saturation and a well placed 57.
However, I think it's knowledge that is the key, and yes practise makes perfect and i sure as hell need to practise, but I want these settings to expand my knowledge on how certain tones are obtained and frequencies managed, rather than copping out with weak impulses.

Personally I dislike almost every "metal" tone I hear today and I hope this s-preshigh thingy (don't wanna take anything away from Ryan's efforts and skills here!) doesn't eventually lead to a degeneration of tones.

You see, you're needing more settings because the impulse doesn't bring the magic by itself and it will definitely NOT work with all amps and stuff...listen this, its the raw poweramp sound from my JMP used with s-preshigh impulse and then this, which is how I liked it to sound with my own custom made cab sim.

Half assed offtopic:

Think me (or this tone example) as a "curtain remover" cause I can make your tones to come more alive and powerful. Try me. Post your best (in the mix or alone) guitar tone and then I post how I'd like it to sound.

No offence man, forgive me if I'm misinterpreting - but the tones you posted don't go with what you say here.:cry:

I don't know what your talking about bro...the tones you posted are shit and you don't make any sense whatsoever.

I hear much better tones from this board on a daily basis. Why would you waltz in here like a guru with something to prove and why would anyone care how you want their guitar tone to sound?

And if your "cab sims" are so much better than Catharsis's why not post the impulses for everyone here to judge?

I suggest you work on your own tone.

Mikko, I actually happen to prefer your version to the one you made with Ryan's impulse, but a) these are solo guitar files, not in a mix, thus my opinion might change, and b) with different eq settings, either on the preamp (and the JMP1 is a preamp, not a power amp) or after the impulse, the results might be different. However, I don't quite see why you come in with the attitude of being a crusader to fight against a degeneration of tone ("Personally I dislike almost every "metal" tone I hear today and I hope this s-preshigh thingy (don't wanna take anything away from Ryan's efforts and skills here!) doesn't eventually lead to a degeneration of tones") - are you trying to sell your cab simulation method or something? Cuz if so, attacking the competition (especially when the "competition" is totally free) is a pretty dick move...

EDIT: And to continue, if you are trying to sell something, better to start your own thread and let your product speak for itself, rather than coming in here and putting people down for liking these impulses that they've gotten good results from; we're all quite fine with our definition of tone, but thanks for your concern! :Spin:

stick.gif

Don't know if I'm poking my nose into restricted territory, but I just want to tell you that if you're planning on becoming a well-settled producer one day you must open up your views a bit.

You say there is no eq on the guitar?!! amazing.
but i'd love to know of any other processing hints you can offer ( TSS? 7170/ Solo C settings? / drums ((AD??)) / master bus insight)
would be MOST welcome!

heres hoping!

Kez

I believe that would be a combination of the guitar (wood, pup, strings) and the hands.

Edit: Oh and yes, the plectrum (pick), the cable and the wiring.

;)

Cool off.

Imagine there is 10 different amps (like Marshall, SLO, Peavey, Bogner, Diezel etc.) in a row. All the knobs are set to 5 and we take some signal from each to test some cab sims.

Ok, lets pick then one sim (blindly from thousands) and use that for all amps. Now, if the Bogner happens to sound best in the test it doesn't prove anything like its the best amp from the bunch. It just happened to be dialed best way (even with all knobs at 5) to achieve pleasant results with that particular cab sim.

And the other way: If we change the cab sim and now the Bogner suddenly sounds like shit - it doesn't prove that the previous cab sim was better than the new one.

If everybody understands this, then no one can misinterpet me and say that my intention was to show that Ryan's impulse lacks or is bad in any way or that I could improve his impulse or sell better impulses or I'm keeping Ryan as my competitor or I am attacking people who likes his impulse.

Basically I looked the post count considering this single impulse and it made me wonder what's up with this and then I just showed the very obvious - that Ryan's sim don't really work like magic with every amp and setup. On the other hand, if 13K+ people would have a success with Ryan's sim then there could be some kind of tone degeneration going on - and willingness to cop Ryan's setup before the sim too.

What comes to other "issues" - its my right to say a honest opinion that most metal tones sound like *total* crap to me. You can be heavy with more mids and smoother overall tone.

Finally, the offer is still open. Post your best tones (with a raw file) to forum (yes, rather publicly here on the forum) and I do some versions of it with my own cab sims. You or I will never know for sure if it works and what happens then.

PS.
All things are in phase, decided that I'm not gonna to sell anything yet, more interested about testing stuff with forumites right now.

Maybe I am an idiot, well actually I am, but I have no clue what the fuck you are trying to get at. I don't think anyone is JUST using Ryan's impulse. Everyone is just agreeing that it sounds awesome. There are tons of great impulses on here.

Maybe I am an idiot, well actually I am, but I have no clue what the fuck you are trying to get at. I don't think anyone is JUST using Ryan's impulse. Everyone is just agreeing that it sounds awesome. There are tons of great impulses on here.

Different strokes for different blokes, and although I find impulses leave a lot to be desired, it is one of Ryan's impulses I tend to go with most often.

Cool off.

Ok, lets pick then one sim (blindly from thousands) and use that for all amps. Now, if the Bogner happens to sound best in the test it doesn't prove anything like its the best amp from the bunch. It just happened to be dialed best way (even with all knobs at 5) to achieve pleasant results with that particular cab sim.

And the other way: If we change the cab sim and now the Bogner suddenly sounds like shit - it doesn't prove that the previous cab sim was better than the new one.

If everybody understands this, then no one can misinterpet me and say that my intention was to show that Ryan's impulse lacks or is bad in any way or that I could improve his impulse or sell better impulses or I'm keeping Ryan as my competitor or I am attacking people who likes his impulse.

Basically I looked the post count considering this single impulse and it made me wonder what's up with this and then I just showed the very obvious - that Ryan's sim don't really work like magic with every amp and setup. On the other hand, if 13K+ people would have a success with Ryan's sim then there could be some kind of tone degeneration going on - and willingness to cop Ryan's setup before the sim too.

What comes to other "issues" - its my right to say a honest opinion that most metal tones sound like *total* crap to me. You can be heavy with more mids and smoother overall tone.

Finally, the offer is still open. Post your best tones (with a raw file) to forum (yes, rather publicly here on the forum) and I do some versions of it with my own cab sims. You or I will never know for sure if it works and what happens then.

PS.
All things are in phase, decided that I'm not gonna to sell anything yet, more interested about testing stuff with forumites right now.

Man, go and seek attention elsewhere. :loco:

Edit: People who feel that they need to use Ryan's impulse would. Cut the degeneration crap.

Hmmmm , Ryans Impulses are probably the best i've used and I don't like using impulses!!!

These impulses combined with Solo C and 8505 are better than almost any amp sim i've used except the POD imo.

Man, go and seek attention elsewhere. :loco:

Ha, you still didn't get it. I could be on a service here (for example) when people are recording and trying to get tones they like, new or old ones, references, or new suggestions by me. If you read my other post you find I did pretty well when catching legendary recorded amp tones with my own setup. Eventually I got bored with those and now I'm looking new tones. Now, if we leave all the impulse talk beside, for a moment, why am on this forum? The answer: To looking for help too. And YOUR kinda people are disturbing it to a great degree. Savvy? No...

Lets make a short social study or play about forum dynamics and willingness to help imagine a new guy named developer dude writes a message to forum:

Developer dude:

"Hi, I'm installing additional tubecircuit in my amp. The purpose is to emulate other amps to the point you can't tell a difference. Lets start with metal amps.

Single (good) person might respond:

"Yay, first clips sounds quite good...wishing well for your project, btw!"

Different ambiquous person writes:

"So how you're gonna do this?" "How will this happen?" etc.

A developer dude:

"Well, I can't tell or know all the details yet, its in good phase, but I need some help too."

A sudden visitor:

"Hey dude, this sounds promising, how can I be on service?"

A developer dude:

"Well, its easy. First I need some raw signal from your speaker jack."

Optimistic dude:

"Well, I don't have any amps here now, but I know many members here own several amps, so I'm sure you get something posted real soon."

The truth:

"Ummm...wait, expecting to get some reference files/clips? From here? Lolz. Now, get the f*k outta here...freaking madman...lolz."

A developer dude:

"But ya know, I'm just so enthuastic about it. We could do some real tone comparisons with speaker simms too. Hey, its easy and as a start I only need some raw signal from your speaker jack."

Answer:

"Bwuah, bwuah. What I just said - leave. Go buy all those amps by yourself, travel, anything...anyways this is something only big companies should do."

End of social play/studies.