NEW FREDMAN STYLE AWESOMETIME IMPULSES

so april 16th is the impulses birthday. lololol

i might shit out another set? WHO KNOWS

moar-cat.jpg

Attn abyssofdreams !!!

His PM inbox is full, so I will just reply here, if anyone else knows feel free to answer!! Thanks!

Original Message:
Hi There!

I know it's been a while, but I saw one of the clips you posted on the forum.

I am referring to this thread:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/486916-new-fredman-style-awesometime-impulses.html

In that clip you posted:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/915948/brrrbrrrbrrrbrrr.mp3

Can I ask you a little bit about the settings ?

You say you used 7170. I only tried that VST once, but as far as I remember, as soon as you load it up, the sound is already very loud and distorted. You do have all the controls, but I couldn't hear MUCH difference when I tweaked the knobs (I am using good monitors, and I don't think my ears are messed up).

Then you used SoloC. Could you elaborate a little on the settings for the SoloC ?

I tried to replicate your sound, you said you used 4 instances in total.

First of all, for each of these instances, did you hook up 2 cab sims, or only one. If two, did you use the same. Did you phase reverse any of them, what is the approach.

Then how did you pan ? 2 hard left 2 hard right ?

What other processing did you do? Did you do any seperate processing or only to the master bus of the guitars.

What kind of compression settings do you use on the master guitar bus ?

Many thanks, and respect for that AMAZING sound!

Man.. these recordings are sick. I'm not even THAT into metal and I signed up for this forum just because of this! :yow:

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to achieve like results yet. :erk:

The closest I've come is using the Revalver 3 demo. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Anyhow... super cool that people share this info on here... Many other scenes hoard secrets to the death.

hey guys, just bought my first line 6 studio ux1 yesterday, so im pretty new to recording. how do you load up impulses? no sarcastic responses please, i want to learn like everyone else ;)

hey guys, just bought my first line 6 studio ux1 yesterday, so im pretty new to recording. how do you load up impulses? no sarcastic responses please, i want to learn like everyone else ;)

I know you're new here, but you really should use the search function before you bump old threads, or at least have a look around the other forums to see if there are threads you can learn from.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/427135-impulse-faq.html

That thread has been in the production tips section for a long time. Have a read and it will tell you everything you need to know.

ok, done some recordings today. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4982762/beatdown and a hawfff.mp3

not that brilliant, as you can here.. they are ok compared to my first ever recordings i made with just a mic plugged into the back of my pc aha..

but being new to the game, i was hoping for some tips or even a nod in the right direction for some thread that will tell me how to get a thick tone like catharsis's beyond.

im running vintage sg>ux1>podfarms line 6 big bottom>kefir+the impulses above. then a bit of eq. ive mixed and match the impulses, not sure whether to use multiple or just the one?

any help would be much appreciated.

...background:

I once popped in this thread wondering what’s all the fuss with these impulses as they were useless for me because I took always my raw signal after the beefed up Marshall Major UL power amp…so didn’t need any low end boosts from bass heavy impulses. Well, it appeared to me eventually that they worked well with most amp sims and people were happy for a reason.

Have you guys ever measured the pitch Ryan’s impulses has compared to thousand others? I really haven’t messed with “modding” impulses long time, but I remember doing all kinds of fun experiments with them – like matching some boring impulse B spectre to great impulse A with curve eq or lowering the pitch of the impulse and/or time stretching them for the low end tests (try shifting an octave down of some familiar places to hear sometimes things out of this world, haha) and sometimes kept the middle/high-end part of the impulse as such or boosting those later up with Nebula etc.

I’m (still) a diehard tubedude but yesterday I downloaded Onqel’s TSE X-30 for a test and tried to create a synthetic impulse for it and to make it sound similar as with Ryan’s already proved “s-preshigh“ but somehow thought it could be more “in your face” or clear. Here is a result, not bad IMO, considering the impulse it’s not made usual way sweeping and deconvolving through any real amp-cab.

Not planning to sell either real or “synthetic” impulses, so take this test for what it’s worth and as encouragement to try diff things…btw, personally never using the same impulse twice cause it really changes with the mix.

Yup, waiting new sets from Ryan too! :cool: