New JOHN BUSH interview

freakbrother6969

Senior Pothead
Feb 22, 2003
Rudolfshome Fivehouse - Vienna
Visit site
Here we go again.
I translated (well, I tried to) an interview with John written in the new Rock Hard Magazine Germany. They did the interview in january.
Have fun, guys:

John, your wife got a daughter last year?

Yes, she’s incredible!

So your family compensates all the negative things?

To be honest: I don’t believe the things that happened last year had been negative.
I had to gain experiences and had to learn from them. If you learn, there’s allways a posive effect. I’m a man who allways thinks positive. There’s a reason for everything that happens.

So, let’s talk about your experiences with Anthrax: When did you hear first that Scott plans the reunion?

Charlie, Scott, our manager an I had a conference call. During that call they told me the idea.

Who had the idea of the reunion? Who had the idea to go on tour with both singers?

We discussed the idea during the conference call. Scott had the idea. My first thought was: “No!” Years ago, when the idea was mentioned the first time, I agreed. But this time, my heart and my brain said that I shouldn’t do it this time. If I would have joined this time, I’d go on stage against my own will. 1999, when the greatest hits album “Killer A’s” came out, it would made sense. But today? Absolutely not!

Do you understand, why there is a so called reunion?

Yes, I understand it. To be honest: Maybe I was prepared for years. I don’t like the reunion, and I can’t understand the timing – but at least I understand it. In the last 10 years the band and it’s business had many throwbacks. So you start thinking automatically about a definite problem solving. We had some real fucked up contracts, and some cock blocks clogged us to go forward with Anthrax. The funny thing is, that we allways made great records anyhow.
The bottom line is that mainly financial reasons led to the reunion. But hey: Maybe these guys just wanted to play with Joey and Dan again. Who knows?

Please describe the success of WCFYA and compare it with all the other Anthrax-records you did.

WCFYA was especially in Europe like a living cell therapy. A perfect comeback – because of 2 reasons: Nuclear Blast did an incredible promotion and marketing job. They worked enthusiastic. Thanks to them, every metal-fan knew that we’re still alive. Secondly: This record was the best of my tirm. We got paychecks regularly and if that happens, a band knows that everything is perfect. I love all my Anthrax records. They are all different. But if WCFYA should be my last Anthrax record, I can live with it (very well).

Did you ever try to argue Scott out of the idea of a reunion?

It got into his head to do it, and I had the feeling, that they had to to it. Surely, I wasn’t standing on the wayside to shout encouragement to them like they were long-distance runners. On the other hand I didn’t want to get in the way of them.

Did Scott or someone else contact you to talk about the next record?

We had some discussions, but it’s reality that they will do a new record with Joey first.
That means: It would be to early for me to think about a new album. There will nothing happen between me and Anthrax before the end of 2007, so it would be a waste of time to think about it. If the band wants to tell me some ideas, I will listen to them. But many things can happen in 2 years. Who knows what interests I’ll have in 2 years?

So it’s clear like daylight who will NOT sing on the next album.

Yes, Neil Turbin wont be the singer (laughs)

Do you still call Scott and Frank friends? Do you feel like one of their friends?

Sure, I call them friends. Things change. It was never my style to feel bitter.

In an interview Scott said, you’re his friend. What’s his definition of the word “friend”?

Sorry, I can’t talk for Scott.

Friendly relationships between the bandmembers or pure business relationship: What prevailed in Anthrax?

Generally the band was and is a 20 year old marriage. One day you have deep feelings for the partner, and the other day you can’t even look in his face. All members know eachother since they were teenagers. Speaking for me: I got along with every member. But there were days when they bothered me and I bothered them. When you get older, priorities change: Away from your bandmates towards your family. That’s why a band becomes more and more business. For me: If music would only be business and not fun, I’d leave.

Let’s make a non serious look in the future. What do you think about this vision:
After the Europe-tour 2006 Anthrax put out a new Anthrax record with Joey. Compared to WCFYA it’s a flop. Scott puts the band on hold and meets Billy Milano. Both need earnings, so they produce a S.O.D. record. It’s a flop, too, because nobody, except Billy and Scott, need a S.O.D. record 2008. After that Scott reanimates Anthrax and asks you if you want to sing…..

That vision is funny, clairvoyant and stupid. Probably it’s not reality.

During Anthrax are touring with Joey you reanimated Armoured Saint. What’s the situation today?

“Reanimated” is the wrong word. We will play some festivals this year and maybe there’ll be some shows in England. There are no more plans so far. Joey Vera has much to do. He’s a father since january. I think our last record “Revelation” was a real cool one, so the work on a new record would be a challenge. At the moment I don’t know if I want to meet this challenge. We will see.

So the rumours about new songs are not true?

There are no new songs.

Which other music plans do you follow at present?

No plans. I did my last show with Anthrax one year ago. I was happy with my work as a father. When the time comes to start something new, I’ll do it and I’ll let you know.

Maybe it’s disrespectful: Anthraxs commercial aspect is much bigger than Armoured Saints. Sorry for the question: With what band do you want to earn your money?

At the moment with no band. I earn my money from our business earnings.

When will we see you in Germany?

We will play with A.S. at the Bang Your Head and the Graspop-Festival.

:headbang:

Wow!! Good read!! Thanks man!!

So......."it’s reality that they will do a new record with Joey first".....

Let the tide of commentaries begin.....
(methinks I forsee a loooooooong thread)

Good interview...John is definitely a class act and I wish him the best. Oh well, I know what album I won't be buying in the near future.

*Edit* Hows that for hearing it in the CDC first?:lol:

prime666 said:
As always John Bush is a class act. Thanks for the interview.
Good interview. Glad to see John isn't talking shit (even though one could argue that he should be). I am and always will be a fan of both singers and look forward to some long overdue new material. Both John & Joey are class acts and wish nothing but the best for both of them.

That man knows how to keep his cool. And in regards to the future he said nothing negative. Said he would be willing to talk about doing a record. Great to hear things are a little more on the level then I thought they were.

Thanks for the interview. That was a very interesting read. I guess the door isn't closed for a "reunion" in a couple years with Bush on vocals instead. I've got my fingers crossed!! I can't wait to hear new Bush material whether it's with Saint or Anthrax.

THAT'S how you conduct yourself in an interveiw.

Thanx for the translation!:headbang:

Bush and Joey B. both do informative, respectful interveiws and other involved parties can only tell the fans that they don't need to know shit and give the vaguest answers possible.

I must ad that the interview they did with Scott was total rubbish! the interviewer wasn't respectful at all and kept digging. fact is that ROCK HARD magazine has been a long time Bush supporter (which isn't bad) nut it helps that the interviewer is at leats partially on John's side and the one interviewing Scott was a Bush fanatic!

It's a cool interview though and John does appear to be a cool guy. I am happy there will be a new album with Joey though!