New Katatonia - somewhat disappointing :(

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Well, I've listened to it now about a dozen times, and I just dont find it to be as good as previous CDs.

Although I dont see the "nu metal" comparisons that many others do, I do find the CD to have too much "filler", too many songs that just do nothing.

And the lack of solos, "Katatonia" riffing, the emotion, and, well, overall melody is severely lacking. Of course, there ARE a few beautiful tunes (Omerta, Ghost...), but overall, it's just "dull".

Hopefully a few more weeks with it will change my views. But each Katatonia CD was an instant success for me, each one was loved the moment I heard each.

So, my fav Katatonia tune remains SULFER!

It's pretty damn good, there are some seriously oddball riffs in there, especially the second track. Give it time.

But i think i'm the only person around who thinks Omerta isn't that great. I'm sorry, but it sounds like my Cranberries record. Katatonia shouldn't sound like Cranberries.

I agree Soundmaster. There is nothing here as lush and beautiful as a song like "Teargas" or foreboding as something like "Darkness Coming".

Yep, Teargas and Sulfur are both way ahead of anything on V.E.

Well, to my taste anyway!

LFDGD was packed with moments that peaked my emotions in different directions. V.E. has only a couple, and mostly is just things that make me go 'thats cool'.

Good album but doesnt provide much to me.

I think it's a great album, but not as good as Tonight's Decision or LFDGD.

I seem to be the only person who LOVES One Year From Now. :zombie:

SoundMaster - "...each Katatonia CD was an instant success for me, each one was loved the moment I heard each."

Katatonia's work always hits me weeks into it. It's one of the few bands that slowly grows on me until I crave it daily. First, feelings of uncertainty. Will I like it? Two weeks into it, I like it. Soon after, I'm crazy about it and play it daily as if it were the air I breath! :p Finally, peaked out, it fades and all feelings point to *contentment*. I've only had Viva Emptiness for about a week and will give a few more before I comment.

Iblys said:
But i think i'm the only person around who thinks Omerta isn't that great. I'm sorry, but it sounds like my Cranberries record. Katatonia shouldn't sound like Cranberries.

Well, personally I _LOVE_ Omerta, but I too think it sounds like
Cranberries!!! hehe... I was like "this one should have been at
the new Cranberries album!!" But ah, you have to love the cute
track :eek:)

I find the album very good, at first I thought it sounded boring.
But now I see all the songs as one album, and the overall feeling
the whole album gives me is more positive than negative :eek:)

I love it... the vocals are much better, and the progressive elements are killer. Omerta is great.. and fun to play on guitar and sing :)

yea, the main problem i had was that there's too many songs...

after listening to it, i feel that there 2 or 3 songs that shouldn't have been put on the album. It's better to have 10 all good tracks than 10 good tracks, 3 crap ones..

oh, and i was dissapointed that there wasn't any katatonia lead in there (the all down-picked single notes) that made LFDGD so good..

i think viva emptiness is around the same level as discouraged ones, with tonight's decision a bit better and LFDGD the best out of their newer style

Opet said:
SoundMaster - "...each Katatonia CD was an instant success for me, each one was loved the moment I heard each."

Katatonia's work always hits me weeks into it. It's one of the few bands that slowly grows on me until I crave it daily. First, feelings of uncertainty. Will I like it? Two weeks into it, I like it. Soon after, I'm crazy about it and play it daily as if it were the air I breath!
rolleyes5.gif
Finally, peaked out, it fades and all feelings point to *contentment*. I've only had Viva Emptiness for about a week and will give a few more before I comment.

this is fairly much the same for me. I like many of the tracks, but some seem a little forced like Track 10 or 5. Can't remember the names yet. One stand out song for me though is Burn the Rememberance. I really like the backing guitar riff that kind of takes a shift in rythm about midway through and then holds the rest of the way. Omerta had me stumped for a while. Its pretty lush, but I think Katatonia acknowledged that it didn't belong on the CD after it cuts out mid verse. Reminds me a bit of the outtro too Serenity Painted Death.

First Blood said:
The drumming is LEAGUES better than LFDGD... that's one of my favorite things about it

Maybe it is but the sound one LFDGD and the signature Katatonia beats were better in my oppinion...

I don´t like the clean guitar sound... it doesn´t have enough "body" i don´t know how to explain it tough, not enough mids perhaps.