abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
spacer.gif
NEW ALBUM TITLE & RELEASE DATE REVEALED
“They say every night has it's dawn, we say night is the new day!”

Katatonia, the Swedish masters of melancholy, are set to return with their follow-up to 2006’s groundbreaking album, ‘The Great Cold Distance’.

It can now be revealed that the latest opus is to be titled ‘Night Is the New Day’, with the band currently well along the road to completion of their eighth studio album.

‘Night Is the New Day’ will be released on October 19th (US – October 27th) on Peaceville Records.

Keep a look-out for the upcoming launch of www.nightisthenewday.com for exclusives & announcements on the final cover artwork, final tracklisting and the release of the new single.

They've always had black tongue in cheek humour in their titles, kinda like Sentenced. Really not much different than Viva Emptiness, that was a pretty emo title haha.

Loved the last album, but Brave Murder Day has such a special place in my heart....is that a good thing? hahahah

Yeah well, I grew up with Katatonia, Opeth, In Flames and others...from the first minute...and to see those bands grow up and turn into something...well..."mature" makes me a bit sad. They just feel different. I guess if you get to know bands at a later point you have a different connection to them.

For me TGCD was just that. Great but cold and distant. I didn't feel the music anymore. It is far from being a bad album but soulless in some way.

i hear ya.....TGCD is indeed a great album, but it just doesn't give you (or me for that matter haha) the sort of feeling brave murder day or the teargas EP used to.
brave murder day is indeed a stellar piece of music....raw, unpolished, just a few guys playing great music.

Haha, yeah, my first Katatonia album was "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" (which is a pretty stupid title as well, come to think of it), and I really have not liked anything I've heard from the albums prior to it. Ditto with Opeth and "Blackwater Park" (though I STILL haven't listened to "Still Life" - come to think of it, I'm gonna buy that right now :headbang: )

And Fragle, I think he was referring to a bit earlier than Teargas ;)

Why the hell is the title such a big deal to everyone? Good lord. I may as well complain about Anders nose ring. Doesn't really matter what the album is named so long as the music kicks ass.

I think this album will be their best yet. I think The Great Cold Distance was awesome and the EP's they released afterwards had some outstanding tracks. I am wondering if there will be songs like Unfurl on the new album...that'd be kind of weird, but it would be a cool change. I wish they were having Jens record and mix it again, but I am sure that this album will sound just as good as the last.

Haha, yeah, my first Katatonia album was "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" (which is a pretty stupid title as well, come to think of it), and I really have not liked anything I've heard from the albums prior to it. Ditto with Opeth and "Blackwater Park" (though I STILL haven't listened to "Still Life" - come to think of it, I'm gonna buy that right now :headbang: )

And Fragle, I think he was referring to a bit earlier than Teargas ;)

of course, but then again, the teargas EP is also one of their highlights as far as i am concerned, so i just HAD to mention it :headbang:

Why the hell is the title being such a big deal to us such a big deal to you? :loco: And anyway, I just worry it might be indicative of an overall shift in music too (to what I'm not certain), but whatever, we shall see! (and I too am sad Jens isn't at the helm for this one :()

Why the hell is the title such a big deal to everyone? Good lord. I may as well complain about Anders nose ring. Doesn't really matter what the album is named so long as the music kicks ass.

I see your point and of course the music is the most important ingredient but for me the whole package can give you something if done in a coherent way. It is just more intense, words and pictures can be as powerful as music and in a good combination it can seriously make for a more holistic result that I simply enjoy more. I see it as art. Not "just" music, so all the other aspects count.

I do concur that the music has to speak here. It would have just made it a bit sweeter, a bit more...perfect...

I have to say I think Viva Emptiness has been my favourite Katatonia album, although, I find them so depressing I cant listen to them that often.

If the music and production will suck as much as the title I might consider
going postal with scissors in a big mall during peak times...
How can production suck in Katatonia after their last 2 albums?
I don't see why people make such a great deal about the title neither... "Viva Emptiness", "The Great Cold Distance", "Brave Murder Day", "The Dance Of December Souls"... it's just like their other albums' titles