New Katatonia

How can production suck in Katatonia after their last 2 albums?
I don't see why people make such a great deal about the title neither... "Viva Emptiness", "The Great Cold Distance", "Brave Murder Day", "The Dance Of December Souls"... it's just like their other albums' titles

I think all those titles are pretty cool actually, especially Viva Emptiness and Brave Murder Day :p

Whatever, we'll see :D

Yeah, I'm a huge Opeth fan (admittedly, much more of the new stuff though), it's just simply a matter of never having the money for Still Life whenever I think of how badly I need it! (including now :mad: ) But soon...soon :D

Miced cab in the recording session

5136_95424849906_5954199906_1881322_4576591_n.jpg

Wow, is that one of those Genz Benz ported cabs? (do they call the 4x12's GFlex as well, or is that just for the 2x12's?) Pretty curious to hear how that ends up sounding, especially with all those mics (is that an AT4060? Dunno about the other one, but of course, the mandatory venerable 57 :headbang: )

Haha, yeah, I kinda have my doubts about how that cab would sound too, but hey, we shall see! And correction: I think it's an AT4047, not a 4060 as I originally thought (I knew one of 'em was silver :D)

Not available in the US due to copyright restrictions! :cry: Stee registered for me with a UK address and I was able to use it for a couple of weeks that way, but then they said that my current location didn't match my registered one (Nottingham or something :D), and that I had used up my "abroad time" or whatever they called it :mad::mad::mad:

Last Fair Deal Gone Down is probably my favorite of theirs (and the title, if I'm not mistaken, came from some ancient blues song) but naming metal albums is not exactly an easy thing to do so I don't usually mind titles too much.

Jeff

I seem to be listening to the newer albums because of the beautiful production, and the older ones like Tonight's decision because of beautiful songs and raw production. I still value old albums more because artists can't buy ambition or emotions.

Yeah, I'm a huge Opeth fan (admittedly, much more of the new stuff though), it's just simply a matter of never having the money for Still Life whenever I think of how badly I need it! (including now :mad: ) But soon...soon :D

Ok, finally bought Still Life - pretty goddamn good, but I really do prefer newer Opeth, if nothing else because Mike's clean vocals are 4 million billion times better (man, some of these passages in The Moor are downright painful to listen to, shaky pitch and he sounds like he's half-asleep - amazing how being so used to the later evolution of it makes me cringe at the earlier form! I'm gonna go listen to "Burden" :D)

Ok, finally bought Still Life - pretty goddamn good, but I really do prefer newer Opeth, if nothing else because Mike's clean vocals are 4 million billion times better (man, some of these passages in The Moor are downright painful to listen to, shaky pitch and he sounds like he's half-asleep - amazing how being so used to the later evolution of it makes me cringe at the earlier form! I'm gonna go listen to "Burden" :D)

I can see what you're saying, but the acoustic break in "Godhead's Lament" is pretty damn good! Even if the vocals are shaky, that melody is sooooooooo good!

-Joe

Which, you mean the "What would they care..." part? Yeah, that is really good, and his vocals don't bother me there, mostly because it's much lower in his range, so it doesn't sound like he's straining (unlike most of the clean vocal parts in The Moor, eek :ill: ) And this is really fucking good, I LOVE the sound of the acoustics, goddamn - and the distorted tone is similar to BWP, but I like it better here, has a bit more saturation which I've always felt BWP was sorely lacking (but don't get me started on that :D)

Which, you mean the "What would they care..." part? Yeah, that is really good, and his vocals don't bother me there, mostly because it's much lower in his range, so it doesn't sound like he's straining (unlike most of the clean vocal parts in The Moor, eek :ill: ) And this is really fucking good, I LOVE the sound of the acoustics, goddamn - and the distorted tone is similar to BWP, but I like it better here, has a bit more saturation which I've always felt BWP was sorely lacking (but don't get me started on that :D)

Yep, that is the section I'm talking about! I agree with you 100% there. It's hard for Opeth to do me wrong. :)

Edit: Except for the BWP guitars. I really love that tone. The lack of saturation doesn't bother me much! I am a huge fan of the "Still Life" tone too.

-Joe

Haha, yeah, my first Katatonia album was "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" (which is a pretty stupid title as well, come to think of it), and I really have not liked anything I've heard from the albums prior to it. Ditto with Opeth and "Blackwater Park" (though I STILL haven't listened to "Still Life" - come to think of it, I'm gonna buy that right now :headbang: )

And Fragle, I think he was referring to a bit earlier than Teargas ;)

Still Life's their best album, IMO, but Im original Opeth... since 96, soooo, my take could be different.

Anyways, Katatonia fucking rips. Hope this new album is right up there with everything else they've done... its been long enough anyways.