New Maiden album details!

tsorl

Borne on Wings of Steel
Aug 3, 2003
Finland
www.ollischroderus.fi
Iron Maiden plan to release their new studio album entitled A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, in early September.

The band started writing songs at the end of 2005 after a short break from their hugely successful festival appearances in Europe and the USA. After Christmas the songs were completed and rehearsed when the band then got together with producer Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley at Sarm West Studios in London to start work on recording the backing tracks.

Kevin Shirley has now co-produced three of the bands studio albums alongside Steve Harris, as well as two of their recent Live DVD's and albums. From this the working relationship between Kevin and the band seems to get stronger and stronger. Says Kevin, 'The Beast is back! I feel from the outset we all clicked on this one. We spent two months in the studio, from Go to Whoa - from Nicko's 'tubs up' to final mixes and sequenced master! That's a tiny gestation period for an album. Producing Iron Maiden is like sitting in the head and driving one of those mammoth automatons from Star Wars or Saturday morning cartoons! And there's nothing that can stop it!'

'I feel incredibly privileged to have been around to see this album born and breathe life. There have been only a couple of occasions in my career when the ENTIRE process of recording felt so complete - and it is on display here.'

As on previous projects all of the tracks were performed live and together in one room. No click tracks or computer tightening or manipulation has happened at any stage of the recording.

Says Steve Harris,' I think in many ways this has been the easiest album in terms of recording that we've ever done. The whole process of writing through to recording was very natural. I think in terms of the material we've also pushed our boundaries yet again and I think it will please our fans but also really surprise a lot of people as well. The sound we've managed to get is very powerful for a Maiden record and all of us have pushed ourselves in our own ways to create something that we're all immensely proud of and I think working as quickly as we did with Kevin really was part of that process. We simply can't wait to take this out on the road. We've played some great shows and had a lot fun recently introducing some of our older songs to a new generation of fans. However for us personally we're incredibly excited about getting out and performing these new tracks.'

Says Bruce Dickinson,'This album has to be our best since working with Kevin. There is such a wide scope of musicianship on this album and in parts this album is truly epic. I thought with the likes of Paschendale from the last studio album that we could only hope to surpass that but having now heard the album back as well as sitting with a few select people and hearing their reactions as well I truly believe we have managed it. Every one of us has put everything into this record and it's really paid off. However we've had such fun making it that it's almost difficult to believe what we've managed to achieve in the time it took.'

The full track listing is as below.

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

1. Different Worlds (Smith/Harris) 4.17
2. These Colours Don't Run (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6.52
3. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 8.44
4. The Pilgrim (Gers/Harris) 5.07
5. The Longest Day (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7.48
6. Out Of the Shadows (Dickinson/Harris) 5.36
7. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (Murray/Harris) 7.21
8. For The Greater Good of God (Harris) 9.24
9. Lord Of Light (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7.23
10. The Legacy (Gers/Harris) 9.20

The band have just announced tour dates in Japan and the majority of the European dates at the end of 2006 are already sold out.
However please check the details of all of these on www.ironmaiden.com for latest information on ticket availability and for details of tickets just released from Production holds.

:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

I don't care what anyone says, Maiden is still as relevant as ever. Alongside the new Blind Guardian, this will be the highlight of the year for me. Lots of long-ass songs there, let's hope they're "Seventh Son" -epic instead of "Angel And The Gambler" epic!

Meh, always the same story before an album release...
"It's our best yet", "The xy process went so smoothly" and all that crap.
They are on a steady downhill for a looong time, reaching their low with DoD IMO. Bruce's last output puts today's Maiden to shame and I don't see them topping that anytime soon...

I'd like to see them on Early Days tour pt.2 with Powerslave and Somewhere In Time setlists and that's all, I'll avoid their ever annoying album tour, with boringly predictable setlists.

I think they should finally retire, but I understand what goldmine they're sitting on that makes them go on...

SickBoy said:
They are on a steady downhill for a looong time, reaching their low with DoD IMO. Bruce's last output puts today's Maiden to shame and I don't see them topping that anytime soon...

I'd like to see them on Early Days tour pt.2 with Powerslave and Somewhere In Time setlists and that's all, I'll avoid their ever annoying album tour, with boringly predictable setlists.

I think they should finally retire, but I understand what goldmine they're sitting on that makes them go on...

I have to agree to a large part with what SickBoy is saying here.
The thing that irks me specially, is the very clean or and thin production of their albums. Maybe its me, but to my ears it all sounds so clean and smooth that its can hardly be called metal at all. And what SB is saying about the predictable setlist is very true imho.

just saw this ;

According to a posting on MaidenNorway.com, former IRON MAIDEN singer Paul Di'Anno has just released a "brand new classic studio album." The CD, entitled "Paul DiAnno - The Classics", is subtitled "The Maiden Years". It features brand new 48-track digital recordings from 2006 of the following songs:

01. Wrathchild
02. Strange World
03. Charlotte The Harlot
04. Killers
05. Prowler
06. Murders In The Rue Morgue
07. Running Free
08. Remember Tomorrow
09. Phantom Of The Opera
10. Sanctuary
11. Women In Uniform
12. Iron Maiden

Only 150 collectors' CD copies are available worldwide, and orders are limited to one per person. (I guess these are "collectors editions, beside the normal release, carnut) The only way to get your hands on this gem is to visit Paul Di'Anno's online store.

http://www.diannostore.com/

Could be interesting to hear, but I guess it will be far from the power of the original Maiden releases...

SickBoy said:

Support your Croatian poster :kickass: I have to agree with SB a lot, that makes me mad with all bands, and yes Bruce solo stuff kicks everything done by Maiden since 1989.

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

1. Different Worlds (Smith/Harris) 4.17
2. These Colours Don't Run (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6.52
3. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 8.44
4. The Pilgrim (Gers/Harris) 5.07
5. The Longest Day (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7.48
6. Out Of the Shadows (Dickinson/Harris) 5.36
7. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (Murray/Harris) 7.21
8. For The Greater Good of God (Harris) 9.24
9. Lord Of Light (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7.23
10. The Legacy (Gers/Harris) 9.20

The good:

• only two songs by Gers
The bad:

• it has two song by Gers
  • Gers still plays
  • Shirley is the producer
NP: Warlock - 'Hateful Guy'

I think Brave New World was actually top notch, a fantastic Maiden album. Definately new, but rooted in classic Maiden too. I loved it, and still think it holds up. Ghost of the Navigator, Thin Line Between Love and Hate, and a few others are as good as anything Maiden has ever recorded.

I never did make friends with DOD though. It was okay, but not great. Still, I think their whole vibe right now implies that they could easily make a fantastic record at any time. I think DOD was Maiden, it was just not phenomenal or anything. I look forward to each new release, and definately approach them with an open mind. There's nothing that tells me that this album doesn't have a fine chance to be a great Maiden album.

I see there are six tracks which are over seven minutes long, so it looks like it's Maiden's most ambitious effort in a long time. :hotjump: I'll buy it the first day it comes out. :Smokin:

ElectricWiz said:
I think Brave New World was actually top notch, a fantastic Maiden album. Definately new, but rooted in classic Maiden too. I loved it, and still think it holds up. Ghost of the Navigator, Thin Line Between Love and Hate, and a few others are as good as anything Maiden has ever recorded.

I never did make friends with DOD though. It was okay, but not great. Still, I think their whole vibe right now implies that they could easily make a fantastic record at any time. I think DOD was Maiden, it was just not phenomenal or anything. I look forward to each new release, and definately approach them with an open mind. There's nothing that tells me that this album doesn't have a fine chance to be a great Maiden album.
BNW was good, I agree - mellower than their norm but good! Unfortunately for me it has been the only good thing they've done since SS. I heard good and bad things about DoD and havent bothered to chase it down due to the good feedback being as simple as "its just the classic maiden sound" I've got a rack full of classic sound, they need to do something relevant - I hope this is it but I doubt it.

Krakatau said:
I see there are six tracks which are over seven minutes long, so it looks like it's Maiden's most ambitious effort in a long time. :hotjump:

Hmmm...Six tracks clocking over 7 minutes?
I wouldn't call that ambitious when Maiden is concerned, I'd call that arrangements without a good measure... ;)
What annoys me with Maiden from X onwards are too long and repetitive songs, which almost always have that arpeggiated intro on clean guitars or bass (take Fortunes Of War beginning for example) and the parts get repeated way too much for my taste...
They forgot to write concise 45 minute long albums, I tell ya!

As for BNW, I too thought it was fantastic when it was released, but it didn't stand the test of time for me. I thought from the beginning how the album would be much better edited down to some 50-55 minutes, from nearly 70 minutes of its duration. I haven't listened to it for years and don't have a need, the only song I can hear over and over again is The Wicker Man, cause it has that classic Powerslave vibe to it.

To summarize - I have a feeling someone should tell them "guys...this is boring crap! make it shorter and more to the point!", like in that Andersen's tale "the emperor is naked" :D

(pardon my ranting :oops: )

p.s. why do I have the feeling that the 2nd track is about that Sharon incident? :lol:

If the new record contains songwriting is immense and powerful as that found on DOD, I'll be very happy. (of course, i hope to god the production/sound is better)

The two reunion records have far exceeded my expectations....I'd never have thought the band would have been able to pull this off! From my point of view, the 90s were very bad time for Maiden, with only "X Factor" containing above average songwriting (overall). The other three 90s records have some nice moments, but all-in-all, are quite weak.

As Wiz stated, "Ghost of the Navigator" and "Thin Line" ARE among the best songs the band's ever recorded, IMO. I'd also place "Nomad" at the top of that list...such an incredible song.

From DOD, "Face In The Sand", "Pachendale" and "Rainmaker" are right there, as well. :headbang:

Do I really have to comment on how happy and excited I am about this album????? Huh huh huh? :err:

(puts bib on, let the drooling begin!)

I do agree with you Wyv... it would be so much better if Gers wasn't involved, I really don't like his style or his stage persona... he is way over the top... that is why most of the time when I see a Maiden show I like to stay in Steve's side... plus he always hands me a wristband :) :worship:

As is your custom SM, you're right on the money here....I DEFINATELY include Nomad and Face In The Sand. I was hanging on the Maiden board when DOD came out, and just couldn't figure out why people weren't mentioning Face In The Sand as a favorite. It's somewhat similar to Bruce's solo stuff somehow. I'd include Montsegur too, and New Frontier, which I think people didn't like for some reason. DOD has a lot of good stuff on it. I place Brave New World above it purely because there is quite simply nothing that I don't like on that one......and while there really isn't anything on DOD I don't like, per se, some of it is just not classic. It's still a damned fine album.

Above all, as you say, both albums FAR exceeded my expectations. They are definately Maiden albums. Frankly, I'd have been dissapointed if they just tried to remake Piece of Mind or something.....
SoundMaster said:
If the new record contains songwriting is immense and powerful as that found on DOD, I'll be very happy. (of course, i hope to god the production/sound is better)

The two reunion records have far exceeded my expectations....I'd never have thought the band would have been able to pull this off! From my point of view, the 90s were very bad time for Maiden, with only "X Factor" containing above average songwriting (overall). The other three 90s records have some nice moments, but all-in-all, are quite weak.

As Wiz stated, "Ghost of the Navigator" and "Thin Line" ARE among the best songs the band's ever recorded, IMO. I'd also place "Nomad" at the top of that list...such an incredible song.

From DOD, "Face In The Sand", "Pachendale" and "Rainmaker" are right there, as well. :headbang:

Pabla said:
I do agree with you Wyv... it would be so much better if Gers wasn't involved, I really don't like his style or his stage persona...

Coming from you I feel honored and relieved. :worship: Not only you are a great maiden fan you're a truly intelligent one. I can't stand blind fans ;)

ElectricWiz said:

I never did make friends with DOD though. It was okay, but not great.

I'm with you on this one BNW clicked alright with me (except 'Nomad' damn boring song) but DOD busted my nuts from the start and up today I despise it along with Blaze era albums (don't kill me JD :p).

ElectricWiz said:

Exactly the way I feel about both albums. I LOVE BNW and was happilly surprised they made a record that good upon their return with Bruce. DOD, on the other hand, might've been a listenable album with better production...f'kin' horrible.

LiamMetallurgy said:
Whats wrong with Janick Gers?

What's good?
c010.gif

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, nothing personal. Gers to me is mediocre both composing and playing, quoting my good friend Daniel: Gers is barely good enough to carry Adrian guitars offstage :heh:

Being a fan of Maiden since 1983 I see NO REASON whatsover to have three guitar players, Murray/Smith is more than enough...and then some :headbang:

Again if you enjoy Janick play good for you and carry on.

NP: Masterplan - 'Enlighten Me'