New Maiden - Full Details

Stormwatch said:
Who's fault is it then? You'd think Steve and Kevin both heard the album before letting it be released. So they must have liked what they heard. Unlike the rest of us, raging at the shitty sound that contrived to ruin what are some great great songs.
Who knows? Shirley has posted on his diary about record executives. In the end, Sanctuary is a big small label, a corporate entity. Shirley and even Harris probably have have little control over that. The mastering engineer, in most cases works for a big outfit like Sterling Sound, and their client is the label.

Popular music has been in a Loudness War for several years, and it's not just the major labels. Mastering engineers, the vast majority of them, have fallen prey to this culture of LOUD over quality. Even 15 years ago any engineer would hear, say, Dance of Death, or Greater of 2 Evils, and say, "that's a piece of shit". The louder things got, the more people, the average listener, got fooled into believing it was "better", and label business schmoes think, "it has to be loud", and now even the engineers think it. Ever notice how loud and distorted FM radio sounds? Nowadays, that's really all remastering is: turning up the levels, squashing the peaks, compressing everything. It's better than the old product because it's ROCKS HARDER! My ass. It's all bullshit, all of it.

I guarantee you that the old 1988 South of Heaven, turned up on a good system, would blow away the maximised, squashed to hell remaster, every time. If I switch from the 2001 remaster of Number of the Beast to the old Capitol CD, sure, it's quieter, but if I turn it up on a good system, I guarantee it will be a more satisfying, punchier experience.

karrokid said:
drokk , if i ever get to record an album i am flying you to the states to master it .
I'm back here now, and I don't know anything technical, just opening my ears. Barry Diament is considered a "rebel" because he doesn't take loudness into consideration in mastering.

Drokk said:
The louder things got, the more people, the average listener, got fooled into believing it was "better", and label business schmoes think, "it has to be loud", and now even the engineers think it. Ever notice how loud and distorted FM radio sounds? Nowadays, that's really all remastering is: turning up the levels, squashing the peaks, compressing everything. It's better than the old product because it's ROCKS HARDER! My ass. It's all bullshit, all of it.

I guarantee you that the old 1988 South of Heaven, turned up on a good system, would blow away the maximised, squashed to hell remaster, every time. If I switch from the 2001 remaster of Number of the Beast to the old Capitol CD, sure, it's quieter, but if I turn it up on a good system, I guarantee it will be a more satisfying, punchier experience.

I couldn't agree more. A good quality song cranked up high is, typically, still a good song.
I'm amazed at some of the low quality music that people listen to. MP3's at 92Khz with little piece of shit ear buds, sound like hell. Crank up the sampling rate and get some real headphones!!!

fuelee2004 said:
Waiting for this one! Sounds like it will be the best album theyve done since Bruce rejoined.

Speaking of Bruce...ordered his Anthology dvd last week so should have that by end of next week!!!

It will be hard to top Brave New World. That album rates as one of the best they have ever done in my opinion.