NEW IRON MAIDEN ALBUM DETAILS

I love the album cover, and the cross M-16, but the fucking placement of the clips on the rifles PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH, they should have just not put clips on at all.

JayKeeley said:
It's an improvement, but still quite naff. The "skull & crossbones" of Eddie and the M-16's is a cool logo.

That dead skeletor in front of the tank looks like Dubya.

Good theme though -- Maiden are at their best when they write about war am i rite

Agreed with everything here...much better than the last, but more could have been done with the concept, and of course skeletal soldiers are hopelessly 80s. :)

those aren't modern helmets, and that isn't an abrams tank, so it definitely would be vietnam or older. something tells me it's a hodgepodge of images.

here's a real (live) one for comparison
m16-1ccsq_23.jpg

as you can see the clip is JUST in front of the trigger guard.

he drew the M-16s out of scale, they are too squat, with the clips too far up toward the front of the rifle. I can see why he did it, cause he had to fit the skull and cross in that one area.

also, the background would seem to suggest an urban environment which would rule out most of the vietnam war except for the Battle of Hue.

edit - unless I miss my guess, those two guys with linked ammo draped around them are hauling them for no reason cause they are carrying clipped weapons, and the tank would carry its own ammo, so they aren't carrying ammo for the tank crew, that would be stupid if it is still operating.

HAHAHA...oh yeah, I see that now. Those magazines in the picture are practically at the nozzle.

I don't get the theme of the picture other than a bunch of soldiers walking in front of a tank. I see the dude on the front left wearing the bandana around his head and I think 'vietnam'. But the rest looks like WW2.

I don't know why Maiden got so sloppy in the art department. They used to be ahead of the curve (before Riggs had a mental breakdown).

lizard said:
also, the background would seem to suggest an urban environment which would rule out most of the vietnam war except for the Battle of Hue.

I always thought that as well but then you see FULL METAL JACKET and the whole war experience is in a demolished city (filmed in the docklands, London). I wasn't sure whether this shit was going on in Saigon or wherever.

lizard said:

edit - unless I miss my guess, those two guys with linked ammo draped around them are hauling them for no reason cause they are carrying clipped weapons, and the tank would carry its own ammo, so they aren't carrying ammo for the tank crew, that would be stupid if it is still operating.

It's not that urban...

Gah seriously who let those rifles out of the art department?

So fucking frustrating. Such a damn cool logo if they had just left the clips out altogether.

Also, I vote for definitly WWII cuz one guy has a Garand and another guy has a m3a1 and another a Thompson.

+ the uniforms - abrahms.