New Maiden album details!

tsorl said:
:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

I don't care what anyone says, Maiden is still as relevant as ever. Alongside the new Blind Guardian, this will be the highlight of the year for me. Lots of long-ass songs there, let's hope they're "Seventh Son" -epic instead of "Angel And The Gambler" epic!
Damn Straight

Wyvern said:
What's good?
c010.gif

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, nothing personal. Gers to me is mediocre both composing and playing, quoting my good friend Daniel: Gers is barely good enough to carry Adrian guitars offstage :heh:

Being a fan of Maiden since 1983 I see NO REASON whatsover to have three guitar players, Murray/Smith is more than enough...and then some :headbang:

Again if you enjoy Janick play good for you and carry on.

NP: Masterplan - 'Enlighten Me'

Nah man, no offence taken. Heh, I was curious. I used to think Janick was just in Maiden for the guitar harmonies and nothing else. I didn't actually know he made songwriting contributions.

Gers is in because he replaced Adrian, and when Adrian came back they didn't ask him to leave. It wasn't pity, but that's what happened. He actually has a pretty storied history with the Maiden family (amongst others). He played on some of Bruce's early solo stuff, admittadly bad as those albums were, but his playing was fine. He also played with Ian Gillan on his best solo stuff.

Whether or not he fits in with Maiden now...well, I don't know. He doesn't bother me as much as everyone else. And live they can cover all the harmonies and solos without anything dropping out. His reputation is worse than he deserves really, but I think it is purely because people like the classic lineup with no additions or subtractions.

And I think Kevin Shirley does a fine enough job. DOD was a bit weak, but BNW was just fine, great even (production wise). Honestly, if they got Martin Birch to come back (he's retired), they might slip into the past a bit too much. And anyway, some of the complaints about production should probably be steered at Steve Harris. He has a co-producer credit on both albums, and I dare say the control freak that he is....Shirely was much more of a engineer than anything. I'm pretty sure Harry controled the "sound" of the album overall.

Anyway, I try to be open-minded about bands, my heroes even.....but keep in mind that above all knit-picking (which we all do, because it's fun) Maiden fuckin' rules.

ElectricWiz said:
Gers is in because he replaced Adrian, and when Adrian came back they didn't ask him to leave. It wasn't pity, but that's what happened.

but I think it is purely because people like the classic lineup with no additions or subtractions.

LiamMetallurgy said:
Nah man, no offence taken. Heh, I was curious. I used to think Janick was just in Maiden for the guitar harmonies and nothing else. I didn't actually know he made songwriting contributions.

Cool ;). He may be for the harmonies now and yes he has more time in Maiden than Smith but I'm too old school and it's not the same band after 1988 (so yes EW I'm one of those fans :D )

probably be steered at Steve Harris. He has a co-producer credit on both albums, and I dare say the control freak that he is....Shirely was much more of a engineer than anything. I'm pretty sure Harry controled the "sound" of the album overall.

Which to me is not good, after all with Birch the sound was what Maiden is all about, so I say Martin deserves a lot of credit (also for Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult in the early 80's)

Gers "bad" reputation might also come from his live acting, where he looks more like a ballerina jumping around everywhere than a traditional metal guitarist :D
Sometimes I wonder whether his guitar is plugged in or not...

As for the new album, I still like DoD so I don't have a problem with them going "epic". As long as there are a few more of Adrian's riffs...

Well tbh I am excited about this album because Iron Maiden are like my hero's. I will always like them but as much as I adore them I do feel that they are going weaker. Gers I feel is a bit of an attention seeking whore, its not often that you see a guitairst spinning a guitar around his head but its more of a "look at me" move rather than just a "awsome guitar skills" move. I also hate the way he drags out notes and rubs his guitar strings against amps. This can often look dodgy from behind but also its kind of annoying when you need to catch a train afterwards and you miss it because Gers was too busy rubbing his strings or swinging around like a hyper child.

Fangface said:
Gers "bad" reputation might also come from his live acting, where he looks more like a ballerina jumping around everywhere than a traditional metal guitarist :D
Sometimes I wonder whether his guitar is plugged in or not...

Haha. You know, that's actually pretty insightful there, and I swear it I've wondered the same thing. He does have a strange (very strange) stage shtick.

I don't know why I'm looking forward to this release, especially considering how bad Dance of Death was. I was really hoping that they would lose Kevin Shirley after that mess - the music works on the Death on the Road CD, but falls completely flat on DoD...I don't know how that happened.

Oh well, maybe I still have faith in the band. :kickass:

I'm sort of semi-excited with news of the new album because Dance of Death was very weak IMO. Repetetive songs and a weak sound. It doesn't hold a candle to Brave New World or to Bruce's excellent solo stuff. It would be cool if the vibe from Bruce's solo albums would rub off on Maiden. Having said that, I WILL be buying it as soon as it comes out, but my expectations are not that high.

Personally I think they may call it quits after this album. They will probably do some more early days tours and what not on a power trip but I highly doubt there will be another album. They are cracking on a bit now especially Nicko and its only a matter of time before health issues get in the way. They are still a great band and they always claim they want to stay in touch with the audience so I think they will quit on a high instead of going downhill and shit like metallica.

fo_shizzle said:
Personally I think they may call it quits after this album. They will probably do some more early days tours and what not on a power trip but I highly doubt there will be another album. They are cracking on a bit now especially Nicko and its only a matter of time before health issues get in the way. They are still a great band and they always claim they want to stay in touch with the audience so I think they will quit on a high instead of going downhill and shit like metallica.

This wouldn't surprise me. I know that Steve Harris has some blown discs in his back from 30 years of running and jumping around onstage. They may even become just a studio band like the Beatles did after 1966. They have said that they're going to be doing festivals and whatnot, but not extended touring.

All good things must end...hell, even Ministry has said they're doing one more album and they're splitting.

I, personaly, can't wait for this one to hit the shelves. I'm great fan of the last two albums and pretty much everything they've done with Bruce.
Gers to me is part of Maiden like Starr was part of The Beatles, there's alot better out there but they like him and therefore, so do I.
That said I've got a ticket to see them in Earl's Court on the 22nd December and the plain is booked!! So nothing whatsoever can or will make me dislike them.
Up The Irons!!:headbang:

fo_shizzle said:
They are still a great band and they always claim they want to stay in touch with the audience so I think they will quit on a high instead of going downhill and shit like metallica.

I was thinking about that exactly by the time when SSOASS came out (time proved me wrong), so I hope you're alright and they go with the chin standing up now before is too late.

I have read a review form a pre-hearing party (sadly on a Spanish site, so I guess mostly no one will understand it here) and in short spells: boring, far from the classic years and slow.

NP: Hirax - 'Call Of The Gods'

Wyvern said:
I have read a review form a pre-hearing party (sadly on a Spanish site, so I guess mostly no one will understand it here) and in short spells: boring, far from the classic years and slow.[/B]

I thought Dance Of Death was rather dull after hearing it twice. Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker where good songs but thats about it really on the album and I find journeyman the most boring song personally I think that apart from the two songs mentioned the rest was simply a filler. Maiden are still legends in metal and will always be in my opinion but I think its time they did a Sabbath and by this I mean just do festivals and not release anymore albums.

fo_shizzle said:
I thought Dance Of Death was rather dull after hearing it twice. Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker where good songs but thats about it really on the album and I find journeyman the most boring song personally I think that apart from the two songs mentioned the rest was simply a filler. Maiden are still legends in metal and will always be in my opinion but I think its time they did a Sabbath and by this I mean just do festivals and not release anymore albums.

I found all DOD boring and 'Wildest Dream' poppy and horrible and the worst opener in a Maiden album in history.

I can understand your comparison to BS, in your previous post I was thinking about "Forbidden". I'm afraid that Maiden is heading towards it, the way I see they can redeem themselves is kicking out Gers, ditching Kevin Shirley, bringing back Martin Birch (or Chris Tsangarides, Roy Z), making one hell of a classic metal album in the vein of "Killers", "Piece Of Mind" or "Powerslave" and then quit.

NP: Ark - 'Burn The Sun'

Wyvern said:
I have read a review form a pre-hearing party (sadly on a Spanish site, so I guess mostly no one will understand it here) and in short spells: boring, far from the classic years and slow.

Surely you don't mean this one? Becuase this man's conclusion is pretty much the opposite:
Even though the album deserves more than one listen to take it all in, my first impression is very positive, cheerful and I'm still surprised at the risk the band decided to take.

Anyway, these are just the typical heavily biased previews we get of every major release. I think most of these journalists are either fanboys or bitter haters and have pretty much made up their mind beforehand. When it comes to Maiden, there's only one pair of ears in this world that I trust 100%...

I'm still shell shocked that the majority of you find DOD to be dull. Pachendale slayed me on the cd and Live it was utterly amazing. To each his own on their opinion but to me that track just kicks all kinds of ass!

SoundMaster said:
Exactly. There are already thousands of Maiden fans who've yet to hear a singl note of the record but are already slamming it.

As there are surely thousands of fans already praising it and expecting an album of the year...

Unless it's "Powerslave" part II, they simply won't be satisfied.

I personally won't be satisfied, but only if they fail to reach the quality of Powerslave part I! And what would be wrong in "recycling" their best release (IMO of course...)?! At least it would make a difference from recycling the boring intros and repetitive arrangements that dominate their post FOTD music... :p

tsorl said:
Surely you don't mean this one? Becuase this man's conclusion is pretty much the opposite:

Yeah, that one. And I'm not talking about his conclusion's I'm talking about my conclusions derived form certain passages, recent Maiden history and the factor SM quote below

Para entendernos, no es un disco que vaya a satisfacer a aquellos que reclaman una vuelta atrás en el sonido del grupo, un guiño a las composiciones rápidas y directas.

This is not an album who's gonna satisfy those who claim a comeback to the old sound of the band, a nod to straight and fast compositions.

“A Matter Of Life And Death” convencerá a pocos a la primera escucha, incluso puede hacerse pesado a la postre, pero tiene muy buenas canciones que dejándolas madurar pueden acabar por gustar a propios y extraños. Utiliza muy habitualmente la fórmula intro-pasaje lento-estrofa a medio tiempo-estribillo rápido-pasaje instrumental largo y lento-estribillo rápido-pasaje lento-outro, pero si se escucha con atención tiene muchos tesoros escondidos. Eso sí, despojándome por un instante de mi carcasa de fan incondicional de Maiden, me aventuro a decir que posiblemente muchos pierdan la paciencia antes del último corte.

"A Matter Of Life And Death" will convince very few upon first listening, it may even become boring after a while, but it has very good songs that let them ripe may end to appeal to fans and newbies. It uses a lot the formula intro-slow passage-mid tempo bridge-fast riff-long slow instrumental passage-fast riff-slow riff-outro, but if you listen closely has a lot of hidden treasures. Of course, taking off for a minute my armour of unconditional fan of Maiden, I'm guessing many will lost their patience before the last song.

SoundMaster said:
Exactly. There are already thousands of Maiden fans who've yet to hear a singl note of the record but are already slamming it.
Unless it's "Powerslave" part II, they simply won't be satisfied.

Me, me, me!
a040.gif

So reviewing the facts:

• last real good Maiden album was in 1988
  • last 2 albums with Bruce (before departure) were mediocre
  • albums with Blaze were absolutely forgetable (sorry JD)
  • BNW was decent but 'Nomad' already was a boring tune
  • DOD it's crappy, boring and weak
  • for what i've read AMOLAD goes along the same vein of the predecessor
  • Shirley input as productor, Harris ultimely tight control of the music and Gers skipable presence in the band doesn't contribute to the greatness of a myth like Maiden
In a nutshell, yes I'm going to listen to it but my expectations are lower than zero.

P.S. Call me paranoid but it seems than it's a general according than bashing Metallica post AJFA it's alright but criticized Maiden post SSOASS it's not. A fan must be an intelligent one, not a blind one (of course this last statement can be seeing reversed if you criticize old hardcore fans from any band :lol: )

NP: Rick Wakeman - 'Balance Of Power'