New Metallica Single

I like this new song too. I see theres still no end to the whining bitches that will never be happy with whatever Metallica does now. Reminds me of when Load came out. Nothings changed.

The test of a good song is the hook. After one listen to Cyanide I was walking around with the chorus stuck in my head for days: "Cyanide...I've already died...it's just the funeral I've been waiting for..." etc. It gets better with every listen, the main riff is good, and Rob's bass sounds HUGE. The Day that Never Comes was a little iffy the first time I listened to it, but by the second time through I was really digging it. I think the album will be pretty good. Supposedly these were two of the worst songs from the early reviews.

There's a definite vibe online (aside from your usual whining bitches, as fuelee2004 so perfectly calls them!!) that the material that's been aired so far is great. I'm excited for Metallica for the first time since 1996 - just before the release of Load (which I like).

pretty boring start,quite brave to put a single that long that has such a slow start,i thought they woulda put out a real rocker first up,be interesting to hear the rest of the album

pretty boring start,quite brave to put a single that long that has such a slow start,i thought they woulda put out a real rocker first up,be interesting to hear the rest of the album
I was thinking this the other day, even if they did put one of the more hard rocking dare I say "thrashier" songs out as the single, some people would still get pissy when they heard the enitre record and found out it's not all up tempo stuff.

Had a listen to Cyanide, I prefer that to the really slow build up of the single. The only thing I am worried about the new album is another Unforgiven song, for some reason I am not really a fan of the first 2

First, let me state that I mean no offense towards any poster, nor do I want to say "I am right, you are wrong." Having said this, I cannot see myself buying this (sorry), because even with the thrashy elements, most true thrash metal bands sound much better. Don't get me wrong, I know most young thrash bands know their Metallica well, I just think this isn't for me, as I like thrash metal, pure and simple. It's nothing personal against Metallica and their fans.

I guess you could say that somebody might like this, even the thrash crowd. It's not as bad as most music out nowadays (just an opinion.) But I've been spoiled by many of the younger Thrash bands to the point that I rather spend my money on a new cd by Gama Bomb, Evile, Fueled by Fire, Bonded by Blood, and other younger Thrashers, rather than this. I would heartily recommend them to you who like Thrash metal.

I have a feeling that once the "Thrash Titans of Yesteryear" got bored with Thrash (probably because it didn't let them live to their new life standards anymore,) they just cannot go back to Thrash. I cannot see Metallica, or even Anthrax (sadly) going back ever to pure Thrash, just because they have many fans who aren't used to Thrash, or who, like they like to say, "graduated" from Thrash (IMO, it's not much of a graduation, but rather, metal dropouts :p.) If they went back, many would complain, and I understand that. As I thought they would, Metallica didn't write an AJFA-like album. That would have been great, wouldn't it? But I knew they were not going to do it, as they have too many new fans, as well as old fans that always look for "originality."

I am not saying "Thrash or die", to each their own. I only care about what's on my cd-player, MD, or whatever, not about what's playing on yours. I just feel that rich bands don't need our support as much as the younger ones, that often, IMHO, sound much better than the so-called "originals." Progression is often regression in disguise. I was recently on a show that featured a Death Metal band, "Metalcore" bands, and a true Thrash metal band. Thrash won hands down; I find it hard to even say "in my humble opinion" for this last statement. But again, listen to what you want, I don't pretend to say your music sucks because I don't listen to it (even if I think it sucks, who are you to care? Enjoy whatever you want; just don't put it on my personal player. :p )

But please give a listen to the new Thrash generation, as I do feel they deserve our support much more. Metallica are rich beyond comprehension. They could give their cds away if they wanted. And yes, I was a fan once, but they are not (no longer) Thrash, so I don't listen to them; they don't need my support anyway.

I like Anthrax more than Metallica, and I hope they do make some sort of a more "Thrashy" comeback, though I really doubt it, for the reasons stated above. At least Anthrax is, in my view, a much better band than Metallica, and Benante slays Ulrich any day. Nothing personal, just my opinion.

I hope you enjoy the new Metallica album. :) I will keep enjoying my jolly bands of Thrashers, though!

First, let me state that I mean no offense towards any poster, nor do I want to say "I am right, you are wrong." Having said this, I cannot see myself buying this (sorry), because even with the thrashy elements, most true thrash metal bands sound much better. Don't get me wrong, I know most young thrash bands know their Metallica well, I just think this isn't for me, as I like thrash metal, pure and simple. It's nothing personal against Metallica and their fans.

I guess you could say that somebody might like this, even the thrash crowd. It's not as bad as most music out nowadays (just an opinion.) But I've been spoiled by many of the younger Thrash bands to the point that I rather spend my money on a new cd by Gama Bomb, Evile, Fueled by Fire, Bonded by Blood, and other younger Thrashers, rather than this. I would heartily recommend them to you who like Thrash metal.

I have a feeling that once the "Thrash Titans of Yesteryear" got bored with Thrash (probably because it didn't let them live to their new life standards anymore,) they just cannot go back to Thrash. I cannot see Metallica, or even Anthrax (sadly) going back ever to pure Thrash, just because they have many fans who aren't used to Thrash, or who, like they like to say, "graduated" from Thrash (IMO, it's not much of a graduation, but rather, metal dropouts :p.) If they went back, many would complain, and I understand that. As I thought they would, Metallica didn't write an AJFA-like album. That would have been great, wouldn't it? But I knew they were not going to do it, as they have too many new fans, as well as old fans that always look for "originality."

I am not saying "Thrash or die", to each their own. I only care about what's on my cd-player, MD, or whatever, not about what's playing on yours. I just feel that rich bands don't need our support as much as the younger ones, that often, IMHO, sound much better than the so-called "originals." Progression is often regression in disguise. I was recently on a show that featured a Death Metal band, "Metalcore" bands, and a true Thrash metal band. Thrash won hands down; I find it hard to even say "in my humble opinion" for this last statement. But again, listen to what you want, I don't pretend to say your music sucks because I don't listen to it (even if I think it sucks, who are you to care? Enjoy whatever you want; just don't put it on my personal player. :p )

But please give a listen to the new Thrash generation, as I do feel they deserve our support much more. Metallica are rich beyond comprehension. They could give their cds away if they wanted. And yes, I was a fan once, but they are not (no longer) Thrash, so I don't listen to them; they don't need my support anyway.

I like Anthrax more than Metallica, and I hope they do make some sort of a more "Thrashy" comeback, though I really doubt it, for the reasons stated above. At least Anthrax is, in my view, a much better band than Metallica, and Benante slays Ulrich any day. Nothing personal, just my opinion.

I hope you enjoy the new Metallica album. :) I will keep enjoying my jolly bands of Thrashers, though!

I respect your opinion very much! I will have to say as the years have gone by that my taste in music has changed! I do like a few new thrash bands(Municipal Waste is a favorite) but my musical taste has changed more towards Progressive Metal(Dream Theater, Opeth,Symphony X etc.).
I just don't get that excitement that I used to get when the new Anthax, Metallica,Megadeth, or even Slayer would come out! But I will say that I do support Metal in general just because it is metal like I did in the 80's!
I would like to see that support come back today!
Thank god for variety. Long live all Metal!!:headbang:

If anyone ever needed proof that James' vocals are totally shot, listen to this.

It's painful.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone ever needed proof that James' vocals are totally shot, listen to this.

It's painful.

Go to Metallica.com and listen to My Apocalypse and tell me his vocals are totally shot. He sounds awesome on that song. Speaking of My Apocalypse, is it safe to say that's the best thing they've written since Justice? I think I listened to that stream eight times in row because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. PISSED.

Oh boy ... I just heard the Day Never comes...and...

Was that really the new Metallica?
First off I thought I was listening to some cheapy Fade to Black... then all of sudden the last bit became Iron Maiden.

Shithouse. Very disappointed.

So Far D.M is shaping up to be better than St.Anger, load and Reload. I think I'll be picking it up.

Oh boy ... I just heard the Day Never comes...and...

Was that really the new Metallica?
First off I thought I was listening to some cheapy Fade to Black... then all of sudden the last bit became Iron Maiden.

Shithouse. Very disappointed.

Whoa! Whoa! If "all of a sudden the last bit became Iron Maiden" HOW THE HELL could you be disappointed?

Metallica WAS good, but even in their wildest dreams they can't touch Maiden. Metallica is all done; Maiden lives on, and still rules!!!:headbang::headbang:

Whoa! Whoa! If "all of a sudden the last bit became Iron Maiden" HOW THE HELL could you be disappointed?
quote]

The man makes a very good point.

And I've been listening to My Apocalypse all day and it's fucking great. Metallica remember how to thrash again!!! :headbang:

Metallica WAS good, but even in their wildest dreams they can't touch Maiden. Metallica is all done; Maiden lives on, and still rules!!!:headbang::headbang:

Vomit (great name BTW) I am a massive Maiden fan so not dissing my all time fav band there ... but man that last bit is 101 Maiden melodics right there and doesn't sound anything remotely like Metallica.

Anyway each to the their own - that single really does nothing for me.

Praying the rest of the album is better. Might be a grower.