St.Anger...

Thraxhead1985

Jul 15, 2002
Kokomo, IN
Visit site
The boys are back! Metallica released their long-awaited album album, "St.Anger" today! I have to say that this is a true return to form! Back are the epic song arrangements, blistering speed, and pure anger! They achieved this without retreaded old ground. They are taking metal into a whole new direction, this is the new metal. I know must you of think it's cool to rip Metallica, but give them respect when it's due! I know it's not Anthrax, but who cares? It's on the same level, maybe a step ahead! I AM SAYING THAT ST.ANGER IS BETTER THAN WCFYA...Man, it's a rush to be pummeled by these guys again!
Anthrax - We've Come For You All - 9.0 out of 10
Metallica - St.Anger - 9.5 out of 10

I am ready for all the debates. bring em' my friends.
I know some of you out there agree with me.
The rawness of "St.Anger" drives the point home. 'Tallica are not to be taken lightly.

I'll agree that the anger is back. I'll agree that the arrangemants are a throwback to "epic" form.
Better than W C F Y A ? No. Bettar than the LOADs?
YES. St. Anger. 8.95/ WCFYA 9.5.

I don't think it's cool to rip 'Tallica. In fact, I despise all who do. Bandwagons are a motherfucker,
ain't they? Still, my faith has been rewarded with a raw and heavy album. Like I've stated in another thread, not the best, not the worst. Middle of the road, with flashes of true Metallica in each song.

I see it as a gateway to the last, greatest Metallica album. This one is heavy, but it still has a little LOAD-era vibe that seems to be bleeding out of every song like venom being sucked from a fresh
wound. They will heal from the poison, and come back to truly CRUSH.

All in all, a step in the right direction.

GREGADETH

i am yet to here the album,us metal fans are such a hard bunch to please arent we:)

people were saying on the bob rock producecd records the sound was too polished,now with this album all i have been hearing how shit the production is lol,lets face it metal bands in general cant please everyone,the thing that really gets me with anthrax is,yes they have made changes to there sound but they have done it in a way that is fresh in todays scene!

In bloody deed and by the sounds of it Metallica might be making that same sorta shift, doin' what they really want again, just having fun with it, cant wait till Sunday to see if I can afford it then, cause I sure as sure can't at the moment

I'm with Gregadeth in so far as I don't think it's cool to rip Metallica at all. My opinions stem from wether I honestly like it or not. I am finishing off my 3rd pass through the album so far. My opinion of the album is pretty low so far. I'm happy they are trying to be heavier, but heavy doesn't automatically mean I'll like it or it's all of a sudden high quality. I feel the album is of low quality and i think it is actually one of their worst as far as the quality goes. Is it heavier than Load and Re-load--yes. Is it better. I actually don't think so. There's too much going on and the sound just isn't there. It would be great if it wasn't Metallica to be honest with you. I don't think they can pull off what they are doing on this album. Songs i kind of like or at least can listen to again: St. Anger, Some Kind of Monster, Shoot Me again, Sweet Amber. Songs I can't stand: Frantic, Dirty Window, Invisible Kid, My world. Songs I am still up in the air on: Unnamed Feeling, Purify, all within my hands. The problem is that even after 3 passes, there is none that i love. Not one right now.

I truly do hope they stick with most of the old stuff on tour. I will probably be there in Columbus in July.

Have a good day all.

it has some real true metal and speed in it...

if they would have added solo's to this album, i think i would think more highly of it... the solo to me is a big part of a metal song
(such as in Safe Home... the great solo in there made the song stick out to me a lot more)

however, im not near as disappointed as i thought i'd be.. ive been listening to it and diggin it

and i disagree with ppl who say this album is numetal ... u dont see numetal bands rock this hard and play this dark and heavy
theres even some points on this album that reminds me of anthrax (and im not talking about song names *cough*my world*cough*)

metallica...some kind of monster

st. anger 8.5/10
wcfya 10/10

I think i will get the cd today. I've only heard St. Anger and I really didn't care for it though. But I was in the company truck with a shitty radio too. What's life without some risk right. BTW what's the going price for the cd?

Dragons_Kin said:
I think i will get the cd today. I've only heard St. Anger and I really didn't care for it though. But I was in the company truck with a shitty radio too. What's life without some risk right. BTW what's the going price for the cd?

I got mine for $9.99

The thing about St. Anger is that I really don't know what to make of it. There isn't anything on there that really wants me to put in my cd player again. The mix is off, and I tried to look past it. It was very hard to do so.

Im sorry but it blows ass. Yes it is heavier than the Load albums but what the fuck???? Have they forgotten how to play??? James vocals have went straight down the shitter. I dont wanna sound like Im shitting on them because its the cool thing to do, but I was hopin for SO FUCKIN MUCH MORE!!!!!!!! I dare say half of the Load album was better than this shit. The lyrics suck ass too.

blakmetalemp said:
Its waaay fuckin off. And Justice For All was mixed better!!!

Why do I keep hearing about how the mix for And Justice For All was? I listen to And Justice for All and I don't find any problems with it. Plus, Those songs on AJFA are killer.

This really isn't that hard to figure out guys. Since Metallica has been produced by Bob Rock they have been purely commercial. You can decide for youself if that is a good or bad thing as long as you don't ignore this FACT. The black album fit the style of the early 90's, Load fit the Seattle-influenced style of the mid to late 90's, and what are rock stations playing now? Nu-metal. What are the distinguishing characteristics of Nu-metal? Two things: 1) ZERO lead guitar 2) The vocal style. Now ask yourself, does St. Anger fit this description? Of course it does. It's purely commercial. There is certainly nothing unique about the style as the thread-started tried to imply. Metallica used to be the influencers, now they are the influence-ees.

The above is all factual. Deny it and you are but a fool. Now it's time for my opinion. My opinion is that this album is silly bullshit. I'm not pissed that it's silly bullshit b/c I only had a slight amount of hope that it could be decent from the start. But no, it sucks. Kirk Hammet is a gifted lead guitar player and his talent is not utilized one bit on the cd. What a huge waste of a great thing. James is trying (and failing) to sound good as a Nu-metal vocalist. His vocals are the worst thing about the cd and the lyrics are.......SILLY! I can't think of a better word to describe the entire effort.

ST. ANGER 'ROUND MAH NECK! (push it out! push it out!)

LOL :lol:

HE NEVER GETS RESPECT!!!

ROFLMAO

schindlers_fist said:
On Justice the bass is turned down really low, its almost non existant. Blackend sounds very waek on the album but great live.

IMO BLACKENED sounds great on the album

peace! and D.R.I. rulez!!!!

James is trying (and failing) to sound good as a Nu-metal vocalist. His vocals are the worst thing about the cd and the lyrics are.......SILLY! I can't think of a better word to describe the entire effort.

ST. ANGER 'ROUND MAH NECK! (push it out! push it out!)

LOL :lol:

HE NEVER GETS RESPECT!!!

ROFLMAO[/QUOTE]

The Vocals on St. Anger suck Lars Ulrich's Ass, IMO the worst vocals in Metallica's whole career, it reminds me of a howling dog
James' best vocals can be found on ...And Justice For All

mosh!

Oh god......

Now I don't know if the song I just downloaded are form the real new record, but they really sound like St. anger (which video I saw enough times as to recognize the sound)... and jeez... They suck so much on so many levels it's even difficult to review it... Okay first thing, if I had to describe the album in one sentence it would be: St. Anger is the Same thing as Reload with a bit more speed, downtuned guitars and drums on steroids (which isn't always a good thing).

Now, on the production issue: Yes it is horrendous. Why? First, the drums volume is way to high... it buries the guitars and the bass; Same for the vocals, so pretty much you can hear Ulrich and Hetfield and the rest is just background noise... Second, WHO THE HELL chose to make the drums sound soooo shitty and on top of that add some echo to them.... Boy you can see Ulrich is the master of puppets in there (pun intended btw).

About the songs... IMO, they are too long for what they really are... It got to the point where i had to skip forward on almost every song because they all are too damn long and too damn repetitive, in their early days (MOP & AJFA) they always did long songs but they kept your attention by the means of epic guitar solos and cool rythmic mid-sections, both of whcih are non existent in this new opus.

As far as guitar plaYing goes, I must admit there are some cool riffs (And I just said "cool", not "amazing" or "incredible"), but most of them are crappy and uninteresting. The ultra low tuning actually makes them sound flat and lifless, and for my tastes the guitars are a bit too downtuned. Bass is nothing special as I can tell (or rather can't tell since the sound is buried under Ulrich's boring blast beats).

The drums.... Ah my favorite (sarcasm) part of th album. I think many people will think Metallica "is back" because monkey boy (aka) Lars U. plays prety fast, but speed means shit. Yes he plays fast and uses a lot of double pedals but heck, the core of his rythms are incredibly repetitive, thus incredibly boring. His fill-ins are boring as well and the over all sound of the drums fall flat once again bcause of the aforementioned shitty production.

And lastly: The vocals... Ok, I m sorry if anyone gets upset by reading this but Hetfield just can't sing anymore. In here he tries too much to sound good and end up sounding lacking. At times it seems he is trying to be a little too Justin Timberlake for his own good. Lyrics? --SNORT-- Booo-ring.

All in all, as some said: Is it better than Reload, sure it is, but is it better than anything else (load included) HELL NO!!!! And I m not bashing MEtallica because it's cool (although I admit it's a bit fun since it is so easy), cause I actually like LOAD a lot. I really like that album cause what they did, they did well, with ST. Anger, what they wanted to do, they didn't even come near, they failed miserably in my most honest opinion (unless they wanted to do some piece of lame ass musci of course in which case they succeeded).

Oh and Metallica never did innovate anything at all. When they slowed the pace with the black album and Load, Testament had already done that in Practice what you preach and Souls of Black, and with this album they are just following the old nu-metal style ( as in Korn's first two albums and Seplutura's Roots (minus they growling vocals)).

One word review: Disappointment (huge one!!!)

I have yet to hear the album but MTV icon is just gay and I wish I never saw it because, as Ian mentioned before, it kind of gave me a false hint of shitty anticipation of the new album. I"m not gonna buy it yet I'm not gonna be ignorant and not listen to it. My buddy probably already bought it and I'll wait until tonight when he comes over to pick me up for the Belladonna show to listen to it.