new mix challenge ???

So glad I found this thread! I've been needing something to crunch on for a while!
I'm gonna give this a go for the next couple of days, though I don't think I can hold a candle to the talent that gathers here...:heh:

Well .. I'm new at the mixing game and luckily found this forum + thread to have some practice material .. this is what I made of the Septic Ashes track.

I really have to get some work done on the snare, and probably some other things, so let me know what you think of it :)

http://www.ymondhc.com/septicashes.mp3

Wee, first post!

Hi everybody. I stumbled over this thread the other day, and figured I play around a bit.

Download it here

Note: I made it at home, with my laptop and limited plugs, so no trigs, and not a single monitor in sight ;)

Edit: It's the Septic Ashes song... Forgot to mention it =)

Wee, first post!

Hi everybody. I stumbled over this thread the other day, and figured I play around a bit.

Download it here

Note: I made it at home, with my laptop and limited plugs, so no trigs, and not a single monitor in sight ;)

Edit: It's the Septic Ashes song... Forgot to mention it =)

Don't hate me for this, but are you Linus???

Hahah, no but I'm going to have a meeting with Linus (the offbeat studio guy, plays in This Ending, I'f he's the one you're referring to) Tomorrow, for the upcoming Face Down Sweden session ;)))

Hahah, no but I'm going to have a meeting with Linus (the offbeat studio guy, plays in This Ending, I'f he's the one you're referring to) Tomorrow, for the upcoming Face Down Sweden session ;)))

Nah, different person...

I just have a bro who's name is "The Dude" on everything and wears the same shirt :lol:

I realise it was a total long shot, :lol:

Shit, got a pretty sneapish snare sound! And it was all behind the phase reverse button :D God I´ve been so tweaking and tweaking that snare and I was out of phase!

The snare is about 50/50 original/sample. That´s my own-made sample which was pretty crappy at first, a lot of mud around 300-500. But I got rid of it by duplicating the sample and pitching the other sample a little down and the other sample a little up.

Here´s my new mix:

www.dyessence.net/septic_ashes_slinky-01.mp3

Ronnie, thanks for the tracks! You have no idea how much I´ve learned when mixing this song.

-slinkster