new mix room

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
building a new mix room in my home. got all the goodies ordered, and they'll be here by Friday the 14th. right now i just finished stripping the room down to the studs and baseboards.. had to rent a big dumpster for all the old drywall, insulation, and flooring. here's some pics of the room, stripped. the window unit AC you see in the pics is not used and will be removed shortly. i'll post updates as the room comes together.

dynamicflash.php

goody list:

new Mac Quad processor G5 with 8GB's of ECC RAM and 23" Cinema Display (upgraded graphics card and Airport and Bluetooth module too)

Pro Tools HD3 Accel with one 192 i/o with extra dig i/o card

pair of Genelec 8050A's and a 7070A sub.

Apogee Big Ben

Waves Diamond TDM

.... and more to come

James Murphy said:
building a new mix room in my home. got all the goodies ordered, and they'll be here by Friday the 14th. right now i just finished stripping the room down to the studs and baseboards.. had to rent a big dumpster for all the old drywall, insulation, and flooring. here's some pics of the room, stripped. the window unit AC you see in the pics is not used and will be removed shortly. i'll post updates as the room comes together.

dynamicflash.php

goody list:

new Mac Quad processor G5 with 8GB's of ECC RAM and 23" Cinema Display (upgraded graphics card and Airport and Bluetooth module too)

Pro Tools HD3 Accel with one 192 i/o with extra dig i/o card

pair of Genelec 8050A's and a 7070A sub.

Apogee Big Ben

Waves Diamond TDM

.... and more to come

Wow! Gotta love the new gear.

So what are replacing the old insulation with?

metalkingdom said:
Wow! Gotta love the new gear.

So what are replacing the old insulation with?
actually sinking a lot of $ into the room. floating floor, floating the walls on resilent channelling. the insulation will be replaced with Mineral wool fiber.. cover that with MDF, then soundblock sheeting, the R-channel, and drywall.. that will cover the sound transmission aspect of the walls.. then i have plans for the internal acoustics of the room. more on all this as it unfolds.

Floating Floors! Right on! I got the rubber Auralex Uboats, under the floor joists. I used a couple hundred of em. I just hope they stand the test of time, with all the room's weight on them! I gave the ceilings a two inch drop on one side, to make it unparallel with the floor! The most tedious fucking construction project I've ever done, but well worth it! If your doin central air, don't forget a return air vent for that mug, when you take the window unit out! I fucked up, and had to go back.

the 192 converters are fine with a Big Ben... hell, they're fine with the Digidesign Sync.. but i wanted to take a step up.

Please tell me that while you have your new mix room gutted like that, you're planning on adding central air. Would be a shame to hear that noisy window unit in the background of your mixes.

Gnash said:
Floating Floors! Right on! I got the rubber Auralex Uboats, under the floor joists. I used a couple hundred of em. I just hope they stand the test of time, with all the room's weight on them! I gave the ceilings a two inch drop on one side, to make it unparallel with the floor! The most tedious fucking construction project I've ever done, but well worth it! If your doin central air, don't forget a return air vent for that mug, when you take the window unit out! I fucked up, and had to go back.
my ceiling is already unparallel as it follows the shape of our A-Frame roof. and there are two HVAC vents in the room. \m/

I'm really happy you are able to afford all this brand new stuff.

I'm sure it will make you lots of money and earn you even more fame.

It seems like only yesterday that you were down on your luck and needed donations from your fans, but now looks like you are back on your feet.

Congratulations.

Nitronium Blood said:
I'm really happy you are able to afford all this brand new stuff.

I'm sure it will make you lots of money and earn you even more fame.

It seems like only yesterday that you were down on your luck and needed donations from your fans, but now looks like you are back on your feet.

Congratulations.
it's been over 2 years since i needed or accepted any donations.