New Music You Just Discovered

I don't think they'll ever hit favorite status for me but glad I looked into them.

Semi related, also got into a few albums by Captain Beefheart finally since I dig his work with Zappa. Gotta admit disappointment. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong shit.

I've discovered I like epic black metal. Not symphonic or necessarily "melodic", but BM that has a "big" feel to it. Just discovered Fyrnask and was muchly impressed.

CDlQ0q8l.jpg

Also a sucker for album covers like this.

I've also been BandCamping like a motherfucker. Suma is excellent if you haven't checked them out before. Stoner, doom, sludge, bit of psych, all in a big pot: http://sumanoise.bandcamp.com/album/let-the-churches-burn-cd

I don't think they'll ever hit favorite status for me but glad I looked into them.

Semi related, also got into a few albums by Captain Beefheart finally since I dig his work with Zappa. Gotta admit disappointment. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong shit.

Most people don't understand Captain Beefheart. It takes ear training, like DsO, Portal, or Stravinsky.

And the best Gentle Giant album is Free Hand by leaps and bounds.

Here's a question for you guys: HOW do you find new Music? My main two methods currently are just using the "similar artists" deal on Spotify and Last.FM, but after a while you've seen everything on those lists. What else is there?

Rateyourmusic pages, YouTube randomly suggests videos, asking/talking about music with other people etc

Most people don't understand Captain Beefheart. It takes ear training, like DsO, Portal, or Stravinsky.

And the best Gentle Giant album is Free Hand by leaps and bounds.

What woud you suggest, out of the way too many albums there is? I dig the smooth sexy voice stuff, and music with less hectic, more jazz.

Also @dudeguy plug.dj is excellent for new music. I've been nerding out on it pretty regularly lately. Make an account, type in a keyword of what genre you want to hear music from, enter chat room filled with people taking turns on a live playlist and judging eachothers selections.

Probably the best tool I've found, because you're forced to listen to shit you hadn't considered before.

Here's a question for you guys: HOW do you find new Music? My main two methods currently are just using the "similar artists" deal on Spotify and Last.FM, but after a while you've seen everything on those lists. What else is there?

I do the same, and on Amazon too.

I also use Soundamus to get email feeds for any new albums from artists in my Last FM library.

And I'll regularly check websites of my favourite genre(s) to look at the latest reviews.

Recently read about this band Stork and their latest release "Broken Pieces", and checked them out - really enjoying it.

It could be described as djent-inspired, experimental metal. Female vocalist (which I usually don't go for but it suits here), the drumming's tight, but the guitarwork is what makes the album. Some great, original riffs here from Shane Gibson (ex Korn, who recently died at 35).

Some of the songs are average but most are quite cool, unfortunately there isn't much up on Youtube but here's one:

Last edited by a moderator:

"Related Artists" pages on MA, RYM charts, and sometimes I find new stuff on here.

Advanced search/Recommendations threads/Similar artists on Metal Archives. Lists of new releases. Recommendations/rare thrash channels on youtube. Here. Bandcamp. Facebook. Blogspot. etc