New NIGHTWISH album sound quality.

Deplorable sound? No.

Actuall there is nothing wrong with the sound on Nightwish's new CD. Have a look at this table:

foobar2000 1.3.7 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2015-04-05 18:06:17
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Nightwish / Endless Forms Most Beautiful (CD)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR8 -0.12 dB -9.29 dB 6:29 01-Shudder Before the Beautiful
DR7 -0.13 dB -8.67 dB 5:25 02-Weak Fantasy
DR8 -0.13 dB -10.26 dB 4:47 03-Élan
DR8 -0.11 dB -9.02 dB 5:39 04-Yours is an Empty Hope
DR9 -0.15 dB -11.95 dB 6:39 05-Our Decades in the Sun
DR8 -0.12 dB -9.88 dB 4:39 06-My Walden
DR7 -0.11 dB -8.96 dB 5:08 07-Endless Forms Most Beautiful
DR8 -0.14 dB -10.54 dB 5:16 08-Edema Ruh
DR8 -0.12 dB -9.97 dB 4:49 09-Alpenglow
DR10 -0.16 dB -13.63 dB 6:04 10-The Eyes of Sharbat Gula
DR8 -0.06 dB -11.64 dB 24:01 11-The Greatest Show on Earth
Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR8
Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 842 kbps
Codec: FLAC
===============================================

Those are very decent values for a post-loudness-war metal CD. Official Average DR = 8, RMS values through -9 to -13 dB. The figures also tell that small, low power devices like iPods, mp3 players and cellphones will struggle to try producing high sound levels. Using cheap earbuds or headphones will definitely not help. Same problem with cheap "home theater" or "home stereo" systems combined with lousy speakers. Those kind of devices have not enough powerful amplifiers to handle normal DR and RMS values. Most people don't have even half decent audiosystems hence the loudness war escalated in the last decade to please the iPod folks. Which then lead to horrible results when trying to play those CDs with HiFi equipment. Can't please'em all, I reckon. :erk:

Thanks to bringing this issue up ..... I don't have the actual disc yet, but based on the Amazon MP3s, I feared this would be the case ......

When I get the disc ( which I don't think much of at this point ), I'm hoping for the better, but your post mirrored my initial thoughts ......

Also, thanks for posting those measurements --- keeps things in perspective, but also validates how "bad" some metal actually sounds.....to me, anyway, and yes I have a decent system.

Any chance you could compare these values to say, ONCE ? I'm just curious as to how far (or not) they have come since ....... thanks in advance if you can.

I don't know if I'd call it "muddy" sound, but it's not as dynamic as I thought it would be, or like it to be. Also, in my opinion, the vocals are WAAAAYYYY too low in the mix.
is holding

^^^^THIS !!!!

Plus, does anyone else think that while Floor is certainly back in the mix, does anyone else think she
is holding back big time ? Doesn't even sound like her most of the time.....

Rather than repeat everything I said elsewhere, read it here........

http://www.pmrising.com/pm/viewtopic.php?t=10088

I don't have full foobar measurement table for Once at hand, but you can compare all Nightwish CDs' DR values in this database.
As you see, the older (lossless) CD versions tend to be even worse, ranging from DR6 to DR7 which made them sound well in portable players.

The vinyls seem to be generally mastered with much better DR, but then again, you probably have invested in the equipment already when you choose to buy vinyls.

I listened to EFMB first on my PC's optical drive using middle range Sennheiser headphones and Floor really sounded kinda "weak" in the mix or "holding back" as you put it. When I plugged in my Xonar U7 soundcard/headphone amp the overall sound was like from another planet and she sounded like she had taken a few steps forward. It takes some oomph to release the full power of this CD.

Actually Tuomas suggested in one interview that this CD should be listened through good home theater/stereo with a subwoofer or with better headphones plugged to an amplifier (with a glass of red wine in hand, LOL). I have to agree, the power boost of an amplifier makes a huge difference indeed.

Regarding the fact that Floor was involved with the arranging and recording process from the start and had freedom to make the vocal lines her own as she wanted, I believe that the band agreed to not utilise the operatic style of her repertoire on this CD. It's a matter of taste wether one likes the outcome, but IMO, as the band unanimously agreed about the outcome, there isn't much we fans can do. Maybe we'll hear more of her versatility on the next album. Meanwhile I am going to see them live to hear her belt out some older songs at full force.

I have the new album on my flash drive on my car stereo which I have added aftermarket speakers and the album just sounds terrible. I have five other songs from the four previous albums on the same flash drive and the sound is substantially different. I know what bad and good sounds like.

Don't doubt your experiences, but I have not had that problem. I got the 2-disc digibook at Best Buy and it sounds incredible. The production sounds awesome.

Without going into the technical aspects, I have to agree with Engima's basic explanation. Ipod/streaming/files (2 different formats) with medium-end earbuds sounds weren't great. I put the disc into the home system with studio quality earphones and it was a different world. I'd love to compare the Vinyl, but I won't go down that road.

That said, Floor is still too far back in the mix. I also want her to unleash vocal hell and be Floor in Nightwish.

The only thing I noticed was the bass is too high in some parts, it makes parts of my car vibrate weirdly. Play around with the mid-levels in your stereo.
I agree with you Glenn, I wish Floor would unleash hell, she is a little too laid back in her delivery.

I'm not as much as an audiophile as some so I don't know if I'd ever notice the data-driven analysis Enigma posted. However, it sucks to hear that Floor is "back" in the mix and doesn't "let loose." She has some of the best female vocals in the game. And her presence in the band reinvigorated interest in it from me. I'll listen on my own terms in due time. But I'll go in with skeptical expectations.

Given the DR scores, it's not a dynamic range issue. And given the record was produced by Tuomas, it's a safe bet everything else was an artistic decision. Personally, I think the sound is really strong, though I too am surprised Floor's vocals are not more prominent.

Sounds great on my home system, with or without headphones, and even better on my car Stereo(Alpine deck and amp, with Polk Audio speakers)

Latest chart positions:

#34 Billboard Top 200 Albums
#23 Top Current Albums
#2 Independent Albums
#4 Top Hard Music Albums
#8 Top Current Rock Albums