New Nightwish date in Atlanta

This is my first post in this forum. I have lurked around here for the last few years and have enjoyed reading all the posts. I felt I wanted to reply on this thread because of Glenn saying there will be no pre-party.

I know I can speak for many attendees when I say that the pre-party has always been almost as important as the festival itself. I would like to think that there is enough interest in the both Nightwish and the pre-party that both could happen on the same night. I for one, have no interest in seeing Nightwish in Atlanta ( I was planning on going to the Chicago date if it still happens ). I do realize many of you would have to make the decision between the two events.

Maybe, this is all as simple as Glenn wants to see Nightwish and if that is the case , I totally understand his decision to forego the pre-party this year. I just hope it does not get cancelled for fear that the attendance will be lacking due to the Nightwish show.

This is just my 2 cents and I realize there may be other factors that I am not aware of playing a part in all of this.

Again, I hope there is a pre-party this year but I can certainly understand if it does not happen. We still can look forward to the fest.

Thanks.

Well, if there is no pre-party this year maybe my idea of The Unofficial ProgPower 6 Meet can somehow help out. I can never (and would never) replace the pre-party as Shane does a kick ass job, but maybe something can be had. We have 7 months to come up with something! Again that is only IF the pre-party is cancelled people.

Fear of low attendance is the exact reason to cancel the pre-party. The bills have to be paid and I dare say that 75% of the normal pre-party attendees would be at the Nightwish show, if not *more.*

Glenn H.

Mr. Kashchei said:
I know I can speak for many attendees when I say that the pre-party has always been almost as important as the festival itself.
QUOTE]

Yep, I'll be bummed if there's no pre-party - that's something I was really looking forward to. It's a great opportunity to hang with some of the people from the various boards - it's a great social event and a good way to slide into the festival proper. I've got no intention of going to the Nightwish show, and would even consider not coming in to Atlanta until Friday if there's not a pre-party.

-MG

That's a tough one for me, i'll be seeing Nightwish in SF whenever that's rescheduled for, but whether I'd see them there or not would depend on a lot such as tickets being available and whether or not there's a pre-party. I'm coming in Thursday no matter what so i'll be at either or.

Okay, so when exactly is the Masquerade closing down? I thought it was sometime in April. Although the Masquerade will always hold a spot in my heart for all the great shows I've seen there, EL is by far the superior venue. And far less likely to fall in on our heads as well. :b

Shaye

NobleKnight said:
I agree the preparty should not compete with the show, if it goes on, but why not move the preparty to Wed? I'm sure plenty would come.

What the hell are you talking about? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Where are you from? Wisconsin I bet. Freakin' psycho.
:wave:

Update: The ball is rolling, but there is nothing resolved as of tonight. As soon as I hear something (possibly as early as tomorow), I'll will post here. Do not worry about the NW show selling out quickly. This is Atlanta...not New York. I will know in plenty of time one way or another.

cheers,

Glenn H.

This has all the makings of a future trivia question, What "headline" band at ProgPower, two years later played at the Preparty show?! :D

Good luck with working it out Glenn, I'm rooting for it...would be great!

I know Paul (Pellaz) expounded upon this in another thread, but I thought I'd provide a little info on the Masquerade. As mentioned, the fire code at the Masquerade is 1000, reduced after the Great White incident.

As for Nightwish tickets, our estimations where that Nightwish would do 200-300 people max here in Atlanta. That's assuming they didn't pick up a strong middle slot to follow Sonata Arctica (who are completely unknown to but a few here). So, there is ZERO chance of Nightwish selling out the Masquerade...only if everyone from ProgPower came...and I mean everyone.

Sautherom said:
Its Only NIghtwish? or NIghtwish + Sonata Arctica???
My guess is that Sonata Arctica wouldn't be on the bill, but I can't see them touring the US without someone like Nightwish either, so they might be willing to wait around for Nightwish. They certainly can't headline the US.

I sincerely hope that Glenn can use his promotor powers to get Nightwish at the Earthlink. If their booking agent is sensible he will realize that not only is Earthlink Live a fucking GREAT venue (hell he can ask the band themselves since they were THERE) and not a cramped club lacking amenities, but with the added draw of a Prog Power crowd that will be there specifically for them causing it to sell much more tickets and hold a shitload more people than the Masquerade. Man, if this does work out that sounds like a soggy dream come true. Nightwish Thursday with members of Manticora, Strat, and whoever else will be confirmed mingling with the crowd and then Fri and Sat madness for the main event. Oh man. I better stop thinking about it.

Ben

Let me see if I understand this. Nightwish is playing the same day as the preparty. Glenn is trying to get them to play the EarthLink instead, correct?

Exactly what time would they be playing the EarthLink, in comparison to the time of the preparty, if everything did work out?

This may be asking a lot of Glenn, but is there any way for the GB holders to get an email on the final outcome of all of this? If there is a no preparty, I and a lot of other people will need to adjust a few things.

Damn, the pre-party is one of the coolest parts of ProgPower. Hanging out with various band members and everyone getting primed for the big show the next two nights. It'd be a shame to loose that perk. I mean, waiting in line to get my cd signed is great, but getting it out of the way the day before means i never have to miss any music.

When I saw the new Nightwish Atlanta date, I was thinking about the preparty thing, glad to see Glenn is trying to get it moved! Even if it doesn't work out, I appreciate the effort!

I'd love to go to the Nightwish show (haven't seen them live yet), even if it were still at the Masquerade; but the post above about the lack of public transportation to that venue would probably nix any chances of me going.

Anyway, hopefully something will be happening on the 15th, since I will be arriving in Atlanta that day...

deathfalls said:
I'd love to go to the Nightwish show (haven't seen them live yet), even if it were still at the Masquerade; but the post above about the lack of public transportation to that venue would probably nix any chances of me going.
For further clarification, the Masquerade is in the same part of town as Earthlink, but it's a long walk. The distance isn't the real dealbreaker though, it's the fact that you have to walk through some shady parts of town to get to the Masquerade. I wouldn't recommend walking alone. Oh, and if you do happen to drive to the Masquerade, pay VERY close attention to the areas that say "No Parking". You WILL be towed...it's even happened to me. :p

The gist of what Im getting from Glenn at least what I think it is is that if he can get Nightwish at the Earthlink then it will still be a preparty just with Nightwish and Sonata (if theyre playing too) instead of the other pre party bands. From what Im getting is that there would still be the other bands walking around and mingling as well.

Ben