New possible spins on upcoming Opeth record...

Braighs said:

Braighs, how the fuck did you get 1500 posts in less than a year? That averages to between 4 and 5 a day. You must be a hardcore virgin to score those kind of numbers

4-5 posts a day really isn't that hard to do... I mean, it'd take a grand total of what, 5 mins to make a semi-decent post and most posts everyone makes around here (including myself) aren't anywhere near semi-decent. They'd take moor (haha excuse my humour:p) like 5 seconds.

And whoa wtf man, you've been here 2 YEARS and posted twice? What'd you do, forget your password?

And whoa wtf man, you've been here 2 YEARS and posted twice? What'd you do, forget your password?[/QUOTE]

yeah man, i forgot my password for two years then all of a sudden i remembered. i can see you're not that bright.

Monsterxman said:
I agree with most of the above...
For me, the first 4 Opeth cd's are the only ones that get listened to any more on a regular basis. History shows, youthful energy (and the natural aggressiveness that goes with it) is key when you are a heavy metal band.
Sadly, I see a lot of similiarities between Opeth and Metallica...
True unfourtunately. Doesn't mean they won't be good anymore, just not as good metal.

I would like to hear more of the older euro classical inspired feel. and less blues, and hip hop inspired beats like I've noticed a lot in the GR album. don't get me wrong I liked it, but haha. I think metal in general needs to move away from rather then embraceing latin and african beats and styling no matter how catchy. and a lot more good NSBM inspired lyrics lol.

ps. quality over quantity when posting. thats how forums get retarded to many folks posting just for the sake of posting, and nothing interesting or even on topic

sixteeninchdrilldo said:
I would like to hear more of the older euro classical inspired feel. and less blues, and hip hop inspired beats like I've noticed a lot in the GR album.

opeth should tour with jay z

jay-z.bmp
_1121894221.jpg

ok well I'm bumping this, and a couple of these are responses to issues that were talked about earlier in the thread

-nothing wrong with letting the other guys in the band contribute more to songwriting. although if they had anything major to contribute, they would be, seeing as Mike has claimed to be open to anything they have, but the band is more or less comfortable and has accepted the fact that Mike will do a majority of the writing

-Per in the band is fine. keys are fine. it's new and different for them. you got what... 7 releases without keys? "if you want to hear Still Life, listen to Still Life", blah dee blah

-nothing wrong with keyboard leads either, don't see how they're any less valid than guitar leads

having said that though, there were a couple moments on GR where the keyboard parts sounded too "grand" and just, I don't know, generic and cheesy (5:28 to 5:52 in TGC is an example)

Hours of Wealth on the other hand, wow

9:42 to 10:14 on BOTH and the intro of BTM are a couple more examples of some keys that sounded great to me. and obviously the solo in unison on BTM

but what do I know

-as far as "new" or improved elements - up the atmospheric focus by a lot. can't Per play guitar as well? (Mike said before that he contributed a riff or 2 to GR... either here on the forum or in some interview, although I don't specifically know how he meant it). if he can, give him a guitar. I'm talking post-rock elements. not only would this further Opeth's sound and open up more doors and approaches to songs or sections, but it would reopen up a door they've inadvertently closed in adding Per to the band - what if Mike came up with a lot of material where keyboards didn't belong?

House of Seance said:
-nothing wrong with keyboard leads either, don't see how they're any less valid than guitar leads

Cause they tend to sound cheesy if they're synth sounds and very rarely have the same expression as a guitar line thanks to vibrato, slides, etc being difficult to do unless you want to sound like that shithead in dream theater with his wavering siren.

Honestly , i think all they need to do is be themselves . I personaly think the next album is gonna be better than GR simply because this was an "experiment" .

what I want to see on the next album
-shorter songs(there was pretty much no need for harlequin to keep going)
-jazz influences would be nice
-its okay to have melloton and shit but they got to keep up with killer riffs(an area that i thought was kind of weak)

other than that , i felt GR was fantastic and im looking forward to the next album