New Sólstafir

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
Icelandic band Sólstafir (whom it seems noone except me is clever enough to listen to around these parts) have just released a new promo (I'm thinking of mailing them to see if I can snag a copy for RC review) and an MP3 is up:

http://audio.dordingull.com/01solstafirMyselfthevisonaryhead.mp3

At 19 minutes, this really doesn't compromise at all... This is certainly different to pretty much everything I've heard. I encourage pretty much everyone on this forum to download this song and see for themselves -- I could see this appealing to J, npearce and others who like the more accomplished *core stuff like Neurosis and Cult of Luna, even though this ISN'T *core (I just get some of the same feelings from it,) but I'm not sure it's entirely metal anymore either. I only know it's very epic, very original, and so far I like it. Ask me about their other releases if interested. :p

This sounds gooood.I saw them on your playlist on Audioscrobbler and went "hmmm." Now that I have an explanation, I am DL the song and let you know. I love hearing new stuff.

Also, if anyone here is craving music that just ooooooooooozes METAL to the Nth degree, you need to check out The Gates of Slumber - ...The Awakening :headbang:

Several minutes in a good vibe is produced, I like the repetitive guitar with building drums and second guitar with the varying bass. Here come some vocals...

Okay now it's gone on too long and they should have went somewhere with this instead of building a plateau and hanging out there for 11 minutes. It's about 3/4 of the way through now, and I'm bored.

Overall it's not bad, and there is a definite Neurosis influence. I think this would work pretty well in a live environment.

Yeah
This would probably kick ass live. Shame I'd have to go to Iceland to see them. Good thing I am going to Iceland sooner or later... Will have to time my visit properly

Erik, you need to check out:

532160.jpg

Also that band you call HOMO, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Neurosis, and maybe... maybe... omgwtf... KAYO DOT!!! :shock: :vomit-on-manboobs: :hotjump: :rectum:

I don't know Cult of Luna, so no. :loco:

I would seriously check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor, I think the assumption is they are hard to get into, pretentious, weird, blah blah whatever, but it's pretty accessible music. You just need to devote 20 minutes' attention at a time.

The new Isis sounds a LOT like Sólstafir, or Sólstafir sounds a lot like the new Isis, I dunno. Kayo Dot and other weirdos much later, yes. You have to surround yourself in strangeness first, then decide if you even like it and want to surmount the next level.