New Sonata album...what do you think?

Í'm about to hear it for the first time myself, though if I'm to go by the comments in this thread I'm prolly going to be one of the few people that'll like it after a few spins already, just as I like Unia. I don't think Unia is better or worse than previous SA albums, it's just different. And personally I like it when a band dares experiment a little and evolve their musical style. Nothing wrong with sticking to a proven and liked method and style either, but for me it just keeps things interesting :)

...personally I like it when a band dares experiment a little and evolve their musical style. Nothing wrong with sticking to a proven and liked method and style either, but for me it just keeps things interesting :)

On that point, I agree to an extent. I can think of bands where the same old, time tested, signature stuff can keep coming out and I'll lap it up (think ACDC) and I can think of other bands where their trademark sound has been sacrificed for the sake of 'being experimental' (think St Anger). I could go on with better examples but I think the point is that there's nothing wrong with gambling and doing something different but it is a very fine line to tread - it could pay off or it could blow up in your face.

Is it just me or has anyone else found themselves listening to the symphonic versions more than the actual album itself? :lol:

I listen to the symphonic versions of "Juliet", "Deathaura", & "Flag in the Ground" a lot. Some are better than the originals (Flag in the Ground) and others are just cool to hear. Especially where there's usually so many "Tonys" going on at once :)

- it could pay off or it could blow up in your face.

Too true.

After a few spins I'm tempted to say I like Unia better. And I am completely with the people saying that the intro to Zeroes is terrible...DANCING ON THE BORDERLINE...what were they thinking?!

Deathaura is awesome and is probably going to turn out as my favourite on the album.

The Last Amazing Grays is my favourite track from the album too. It seems like that track was one of the first written since it wouldn't sound too out of place on Unia. Save for the symphony orchestra of course!

The main things I like about this album are the lyrics and stories in the songs. Sonata have always managed to interest me with their song topics but this album for me contains Tony's most inspired subject material to date!

The main things I think this album lacks are any really interesting guitar riffs. But then my feelings on Jani being kicked out are well known. :lol:

It seems like that track was one of the first written since it wouldn't sound too out of place on Unia. Save for the symphony orchestra of course!

Nope. "Flag in the Ground" was written in 1996. Well ok, the lyrics were written for this album but the music was written in 1996 ;)

The main things I think this album lacks are any really interesting guitar riffs. But then my feelings on Jani being kicked out are well known. :lol:

Elias thought he was supposed to follow Tony's key parts on the demos and he did. That's why there's a lack of guitar solos on the main tracks. The bonus tracks have plenty of guitar solos :)

That's why there's a lack of guitar solos on the main tracks. The bonus tracks have plenty of guitar solos :)

Even if the lack of delicious shred gets me down there's plenty to make up for it since Sonata just announced their US/Canada tour will be supported by Powerglove - a very awesome, much loved fave of mine who play metal video game music. :headbang:

Elias thought he was supposed to follow Tony's key parts on the demos and he did. That's why there's a lack of guitar solos on the main tracks. The bonus tracks have plenty of guitar solos :)

Classic example of a new member in a band. It's not a problem that there's not a lot of solos, I was talking about the riffs! Most of the time Elias is just playing power chords in time with the bass drum with very little variation. The fact that Henrik wrote a track that got passed off as a Japanese bonus is laughable too. Tony seriously needs to loosen his grip. And Elias needs to grow some balls. :p

I like Elias. His latest solo album is proof that he's an awesome guitarist; however, Sonata's current style doesn't leave much room for him to breathe and take the spotlight. I don't have much of a problem with that, but for people who are otherwise unfamiliar with the guy, it might give a bad impression of him, which bugs me...