Power Metal what do you guys think

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer, I hate labels because people argue about them and no one will ever be right because its all opinion, there is no definitive set list of things you need to be a certain genre. I always say my opinion on things like this because calling CoB straight up power metal is just wrong, considering how many sub-genres of metal they actually blend.

Wasn't I saying something about that? I thought so...

You like Sentenced? Me too, my favorite song by them is "Broken" though, 'cause it describes me the most. But "Farewell" is a great song too, Ville Laihiala uses his voice really well, and I like how it sounds. Most people don't know about them here, but I like them... Just like most people don't know about Children of Bodom, or most of the other bands I listen to for that matter. I just look up stuff on the internet, and see what sounds good. That's why I like when people say what they're listening to, so I can download it and listen to it. And I always have my friends listen to the bands, and they're like, "Who the hell is this? They're awesome!"

I like some power metal and some don´t.
I realy love Manowar,Iced earth(if they are power metal) and Nevermore fuckin´ rules but some bands are just pathetic. About power metal sounding too eightees, I think the that´s just cool(exept when it remeinds me of some gay glam bands like twisted
sister or some shit like that).

Yeah Sentenced is great, i have Crimson and Frozen, anxiously awaiting their melodic death release "North from Here/Shadows from the Past", favorite song by them would be.....Bleed in my Arms or The Rain Comes Falling Down. Their not exactly metal but they have some great melodies.

@MacMoney Hell Yeah man, where would we be without you?

I use genres as a way to describe the music, not as a way to describe myself ("I'm a death metalhead" or some such) or not as a way to limit myself. To confine oneself within a genre or limit oneself out of a genre is just stupid.

@MacMoney Hell Yeah man, where would we be without you?

Right there, in hell!

I have yet to buy Sentenced... I've only downloaded lots of their songs. But I will get around to buying Crimson. And probably the others. They'll be hard to find around here. 'Cause the only music I can usually find around here is rap. Rap is the Devil :heh:. I can't stand rap, and I don't listen to the radio, because they started playing stuff I don't like on the station I listen to. So now when I want to listen to something, I look up some cool songs. I have to go to this cool store, where they basically sell anything. I'm lucky if I can find my stuff at Best Buy or Circuit City, but I do sometimes... But only the popular bands. I've seen "Follow the Reaper" at Best Buy once, I didn't pick it up 'cause I didn't have any money, I was just with my friend. My friend has some Bodom CDs. But I gotta pick them up for myself. If I ever find them at Best Buy... Which I hope I do!

If you buy a sentenced c.d.-my opinion is keep in mind-their older stuff and their newer stuff sounds very different from each other. I personally like their old stuff but I would suggest getting either Frozen or Shadows of the Past/North From Here first. As for getting the stuff at Best Buy-they can get CoB as well as many other bnads-they will special order it for you if you ask them to. Have any of you ghuys ever heard of Throne of Chaos? They're a Spinefarm records band and sound very similar to CoB. They're a great band.

First of all.. how can you say that CoB is power metal.... of course it has some power m. elements , but for me it is melodic death metal (with black (specialy Something wild), power and heavy (Hatebreeder) elements)

I used to like power metal bands but they are too soft for me... donñt like those kinds of voices anymore... Stratovarius, Heloween and Iron Savior are ok....

Originally posted by MacMoney
What is death metallish about their music?

You have separate first the death metal in different kinds like death, technic, and melodic.... and as response to yuor question i think the guitar riffs in some songs like hatebreeder, deadnight warrior, the vocals, and theaggresion in the drums.

When I listen to power metal it is the US version of power metal. Bands like Kamelot, Jagpanzer, Destiny's End/Helstar.

I am not into the Euro version of Power metal althought I like Rhapsody and the lates Angra. Yes I know, Angra is a band from Brazil but they do have a definitive Europian power metal sound

Power metal all depends on your mood...I like it as a genre, but I get a bit bored sometimes. I like Stratovarius, Rhapsody and Sonata Arctica. And although they are not power metal, bands like Nightwish, Sinergy and COB do have power metal influences in them (Alexi and Tuomas of Nightwish both like Stratovarius) which I really like.

Sometimes it´s nice to listen Powermetal,but if you listen to it too much it gets little bit boring.