Power Metal what do you guys think

i don't like power metal :p

i see COB as being more heavy metal than power metal... but apparently that depends on each person, so there's no point in starting discussing their "style"...

Just do what I do and call cob METAL. There are so many different types of influences in their music from so many different rock generes i just decided to call cob METAL.

Maybe just call it extreme metal, because these days metal gets easily associated with Limp bizkit & Alien ant farm... I just hate it, that's not metal!

Extreme metal is something which I would never associate with CoB. CoB's biggest influences clearly are from traditional metal (i.e. heavy metal) and power metal.

Power metal kicks ass, end of story right there. Blind Guardian is my favorite, but I also like Rhapsody, Stratovarius, etc. But I want to know, what do people think of death/black metal? Like the bands Mortician, Destruction, Deicide, Einherjer, Morbid Angel, Mortiis, and lots of other awesome bands...

Mortician: how can anybody listen to this crap?
Destruction: old but good
Deicide: sometimes...
Einherjer: hell yeah!
Morbid Angel: HELL YEAH!!!!!!!
Mortiis: hell no!!

You really didn't pick my favourites :)

Ok, these are the power metal i like..
Gamma Ray, Helloween, Rhapsody, Freedom Call, Iron Savior, Blind Guardian, Falconer, Children Of Bodom (;)), Stratovarius, and more...

agreed, CoB is metal. Kick ass agressive fuckin metal. Genres are stupid but some people just lable really badly and its kinda of disheartening hehe.

I think the term 'power metal' should be associated with Alexi's vocal style, because it's just raw aggression. Have you ever tried singing like him? You have to get worked up before you can, but it's pretty easy. I don't understand how power metal bands have high-pitched vocals, it just doesn't make sense...

And on another note: did anyone notice how Alexi's singing in Aces High is totally fuckin insane?! I couldn't even come close to matching that (but I can do the screams in Hate Me!).

Originally posted by Final_Vision
agreed, CoB is metal. Kick ass agressive fuckin metal. Genres are stupid but some people just lable really badly and its kinda of disheartening hehe.

Hey! COB is "Heavy Metal"....They called themself that.
Listen to the "Tokio Warhearts", Track 8 (Hatebreeder), They said "Do you still wanna hear some more fucking Heavy Metal?" :lol:
I think that genres are stupid too...but i notice that so I thought It'd be interested :)

Vocal styles don't belong to certain genres and they don't define a genre nor do they define a band. Alexi sounds like Dani Filth on Aces High IMO.

Hey! COB is "Heavy Metal"....They called themself that

Well, Cradle of Filth has called themselves black metal. But are they that? Most certainly not!

Well, I think Power metal amongst other types rules! Nightwish, Odes of Ecstasy, Iced Earth, Blind Gaurdian, Demons and Wizards, etc. They all rule!

I know some of you don't beleive Iced Earth to be power metal but for now I shall keep them in the power metal catagory since that's what they're classified as.

Lol, wtf are you talking about Alexi doesnt sound anything like Dani Filth on Aces High. He sounds like his usual death growl with his usual hoarse clean vox.

Of course, we always thank you for setting us straight on genres MacMoney, seems its the only time i ever see you post on the boards i frequent hehe.

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer, I hate labels because people argue about them and no one will ever be right because its all opinion, there is no definitive set list of things you need to be a certain genre. I always say my opinion on things like this because calling CoB straight up power metal is just wrong, considering how many sub-genres of metal they actually blend.

Talking about the genres-personally, I think the whole genres thing is dumb. It helps with describing what one band sounds like compared to another, but it also allows prejudism of the bands in the genre and as seen, can cause alot of confusion. To me metal is metal no matter what and the genre doesn't matter to me as long as the band is good. I disagree also that Alexi sounds like Dani on Aces High-I haven't heard the song enough times to make a positive judgement on that though. That's just what I think though.