New song from my band, featuring guest lead from Felix!

Dude... awesome! I love this song! I have to say Im not quite getting the quite vocals, there´s something very weird about them that I can´t point out, and seems to make them a total hit or miss. I still would want to hear the other songs cause as you say the vocals are different.

But the song itself, totally kickass, I love it! The basslines really sound like they were written by a real bassist and not a retarded guitarist (or guitard as the basstalk folks say) who can´t do lydian hahahaha seriously, your bassist instinct impresses me, and of course your bassist is very good too, perfect execution. I´m not gonna comment on the mix at all yet, would want to listen to it a few more times to have some thoughts, but congrats dude, I really want to hear the whole album!

Hey Dan!

Thanks man, really appreciate the compliments on everything from the song to me not being too retarded :D hahahaha

But seriously, thanks for checking it out ... one thing I'm not too sure of when you say the "quiet" vocals ... which spot are you referring to cause the only part that comes to mind is the little pre-chorus spot where he does the 4 part harmony saying "all seems lost". Do they seem too quiet or something else? I thought they were blended in pretty good but I could always try kicking up the vocal bus 1db or something to make that spot pop out a little more

I'm gonna try and get some more of the extra guitar shit done for "Children of the Sea" today but as soon as thats done I'll be starting work on the next tune cause I want to let this one sit for at least a few days before I come back to it with fresh ears to see if any extra tweaks need to be done.

I also found the source of the clicking in the bass sound and made some additional changes so I'm revising the original link with the most updated mix.

^ got ya ;)

then I would suspect its just a matter of styles & taste

Of course, in no way is it "bad", it's just matter of taste. In fact I listened to it a couple more times, and I'm kinda digging on it, only time will tell.

I do have some comments about the mix now, if you don't mind.

Everything sounds way too thin to my ears, and not just that but the high-mids seem to be all cluterred and messy with all the stuff that should be in the lows/lowmids, apart from having some guitar noise too (?). I would describe it like your highmids are "muddy" even though I know the term muddy is used exclusively in low end, but that's how I would describe it in words.

The bass is too thin and too much highmid fighting with the guitar (and guitar hiss? not sure), while missing that sweet low end thump the bass should have. Drums are ok-ish but missing body (yes, thin like everything else), snare, toms, kick, everything seems fighting up top but missing down low. When I listen in headphones and close my eyes (it's gay, but it works) it feels like guitars, bass and everything is raised above my head with puppet strings revealing a skinny little drumkit underneath and a big gap between them. I really like the delay/panning stuff you did with the vocals throughout the song, very cool!

Anyways, take my thoughts with a grain of salt and even though I obviously do not like the mix very much (I'm aware this was recorded years ago with crappier gear/technique, I've been there, In fact I'm gonna pm you with some stuff I did with shitty tracks), I really do like the song and hope to hear the full album!

^ I hear ya man, and I agree with most of it. All of these things I've taken into account for the next recording. I'm firmly convinced 90% of any and all problematic areas are based around the guitars and thats no one's fault but my own. But hey, its all a learning experience right? I already know what I will do again and will never do again in terms of tracking parts so now my only goal is to take what I have for this album and get the most from it I can

I think the important thing is I feel confident the strength of the songwriting for this album will help transcend and shortcomings in the overall production. Lets hope others feel the same about the songwriting as I do ... so far the consensus seems to be that no one has any issues with the song itself. The other 9 tracks for this album are all completely on par or better, I can say that honestly ;)

YOU have to be confident about the mix at the end of the day dude.
If you're happy and think you made the best out of the situation (I experienced the bitchyness of this guitarsound as you know :D ) then everything is allright imo.
And if you can't be bothered to retrack the guitars (which I can understand lol, retracking is a PITA) then it's fine the way it is.
Personally I think I'd shoot myself, because beeing the perfectionist I am I couldn't live with something knowing it could be better, even if it contains endless hours of redoing shit...
like right now editing all the DI's for our album again, because I decided to give my Peavey a shot with reamping. edited the DI's about a year ago, I think that I'm a lot better now sooooo-> redoing the whole shit. not a healthy attitude at all:dopey::dopey:.

Also I kinda disagree with Dan, I don't think that it needs that much low end, a bit more yes, but not too much...

Danke Marco ;)

If you knew the actual history in the making of this cd, you would fully understand why I just can't bring myself to retrack the guitars. Its just be drawn out for too long now and I feel like I can't even fully concentrate on writing new stuff knowing this isn't finished yet. But I really appreciate what you said cause you're right, as long as I make the best of it I can, ja, I'll be happy with that.:headbang:

Danke Marco ;)

If you knew the actual history in the making of this cd, you would fully understand why I just can't bring myself to retrack the guitars. Its just be drawn out for too long now and I feel like I can't even fully concentrate on writing new stuff knowing this isn't finished yet. But I really appreciate what you said cause you're right, as long as I make the best of it I can, ja, I'll be happy with that.:headbang:

So then enough talking and playing around on forums...get back to work and finish this thing! (and the Dio tribute stuff as well!) ;)

So then enough talking and playing around on forums...get back to work and finish this thing! (and the Dio tribute stuff as well!) ;)

Hahahaha :headbang:

I've already started on the next tune. Stylistically similar to this one ... fast, heavy, dark, mean ;) its called "Branded". Was having a hard time cause there is a part I want to put some flange effect on the guitars and I realized last night I have no actual flanger plugin

As for the Dio tune, waiting on vocal tracks :p